Sign in to follow this  
madmanyo360

LaGGards in the Mist: An Open Forum

Online Tecmo, and the gorilla in the room named LAG.  It sucks, but for so many of us who can only play online most of the time, it is a necessary evil... to some degree.  And that is the crux: "to some degree"... so tell me, Online Tecmo... define for me the "degree" by which you would judge the lag in game to be so bad it is not worth playing that game at all.

Furthermore, for those to whom this applies... please justify why you cast such aspersions on ziurziur's lag, to the degree that you don't want to play him at all.  Please don't read into this on my part, I have a completely open mind on this matter right now... if I need to boot ziurziur for his poor connection, then I will do so... but the man will get his fair day in court, I will guarantee that.  So go ahead..... lay it all out for me, there's the gorilla, now talk about it.

im here to defend ziur from all this bullying since hes a good friend

he should not be lagging cause his speed is plenty   http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/3e64575093373060c278956106bae0b7

and http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1301192280

that is better then mines when im on wifi 

so what can he do.. why is he lagging? please someone help him out!

here is my results http://www.pingtest.net/result/124033582.png

and http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4393385292

Edited by joeygats

Here's a link for the carryover of HSTL rules with vid. http://tecmobowl.org/topic/64476-hstl-s32-league-rules/

Anyway, Joey, I'm not bullying so sorry if anything I've said came across like that. Just trying to enjoy the Tecmo experience I do with virtually every other player here. 

Manyo, this video shows my button delay (recorded this morning). I should have done vlogg version so you could here the click difference but you'll get the idea from it. 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8b8ze2w7FA

Could this be a hardware issue and not a connection issue for Ziur? I think I speak for the community in saying no one wants him to leave, we just want clean games. Would love to get it figured out fo sho. Anything I can do to help just lmk.

Edited by diazzhole

ziur pingtest is better then prob half in this league..

so his issue is not speed at all. what is it then only bruddog or bgbound can solve this mystery!

or scooby doo :)

Sometimes I play Z and it has minimal lag. Sometimes I play and it studders so bad you can't switch receivers. Sometimes we play and there is zero lag, but the input delay is unplayable... press up and player goes up over a second late.

When we try to connect it says connection requested instead of confirmed. This is both when he hosts and if I host.

I echo what diaz said and that I like him a lot. Good dude. I will say that the connection has impacted the outcome of several games we have played the past few seasons. Just would like someone to figure it out.

those pings are terrible.. step up your game guys..

< 10 is where it's at.  

I was dreading playing Zuirzuir this season because I played him in a tournament game a while back where i basically had to give up because there was 3 second delay.. but i was pleasantly surprised because it wasn't too bad this season.

It's plain and simple for me. I cannot play the way I play vs him. I have to play a different game. The delay/lag causes to much variation from what your actually trying to accomplish on any one play and reduces specific abilities like scrolling through WR's, juking, and maintaining defensive speed.

Zuir's defense is that he has to play with the lag to. It's different when you're used to playing a majority of your games like that versus someone who tries to play one/two game(s) like that.

Just like everyone else, it's nothing personal. Zuir is a gentleman of Tecmo, but the final straw for me was the Classic playoffs. I want to minimize my encounters with him because it reduces the skill of the game, which is frustrating.

I realize several have had problems in the past with zz... but he apparently upgraded his interent a month ago or so?  Obviously it hasn't fixed the problem with everyone, but it has with some people, or so I have heard.  So I'd hope more people could just hit him up and test it out to see how it is before they judge on the past further back.  It could be there are other issues than that, of course... dunno, we're trying to figure it out, I think.

The one time I played him within that time span, there wasn't any button lag to speak of, but there were consistent spikes.... which could be one of several issues which can be fixed (hardware? family streaming netflix, etc.? other?).  The vid below shows what kind of spikes I mean thru much of the game:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ozeqN9AKY

Edited by manyo360

dont want to dog pile on zz, but I have had bad luck with button delay. Have had it with others time to time too but zz Ive come to expect to play In not great conditions like Lambeau field.

Maybe someone is stealing his wifi or something. I have to kick the kids and wife off the network when I play.

To clear things up there is two types of lag

1. An overall input lag where every press is delayed a certain amount. Now you're always going to have a certain amount playing a game over the internet there is no way around that. If you look at the no2.log file in your nestopia folder you can see what the input delay was for your last game

Anything 5 or less is what you should expect. Anything more than that and you are likely going to notice. Please see my lag post that has the kickoff bar for reference

2.The studdering/spikey lag. (This is the kind seen in MANYO VIDEO and what TP mentions)The game basically responds smoothly but it the game will pause at a seemingly fixed interval. I find this worse because you never now when that spike is going to come and your last input is lost.

Definitely precision passing and running and maintaining speed are going to be affected most by lag. If you are just dropping back and hucking well its not going to effect you much.

I've mostly experienced the spikey type of lag with zuir. Sometimes his connection is fine. Other times its not.

Possible reasons

1. Background software (antivirus,etc) might be running some games and not others hogging either processor or network resources. 

2. Old computer/laptop that has intermittent issues

3. Old router that has intermittent issues ( i though zuir just upgraded to uverse so router shouldn't be an issue)

4. Wireless card/adapter has intermittent problems. (I always recommend playing wired)

5. Other family members using internet

6. Zuir is using someone elses internet. 

My questions to zuir:

1. What type of computer do you play on (laptop/desktop). How old is it? 

2. How are you connecting to your router (wired/wireless)

3. Are other family members/people using your internet. 

4. Do you have any antivirus/firewall software running on your computer.

5. Do you notice anything different going on during the games with the lag spikes (other family members using computer, etc). 

I am an outsider but here are my $.02

Have played ziur in many different leagues and have never had a problem that I would complain about.
As some of you may know back in the day I had a terrible connection with others to the  likes of ping on nesticle in the hundreds...

ZIur's connection is not nearly as bad as some complain to be or what we played on in the past.

Things like lag, button delay, etc are just what you have to deal with playing online. If you do not want to deal with it ever then stick to console and don't play online.

He also is pleasant to talk to in AIM and very understanding and overall a stand up guy.
That is just my opinion on Ziur..carry on

I don't think anyone has a problem with zuir the person but when you're the basically the only guy where this issue comes up over and over again well how fair is it for the rest of the league to have to suffer through it. The games where its bad its really bad. 

I believe ryan stewart was also having this problem from time to time and it was because he was playing on a super old laptop that was having issues. 

Also just for Regulator-  Try playing nestopia with smoothing set to 8 frames vs someone at least a few states away. You will experience what dial-up tecmo was like on nesticle. Good times.  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:

Things like lag, button delay, etc are just what you have to deal with playing online. If you do not want to deal with it ever then stick to console and don't play online.

This is beyond normal or expected delay. I think it's safe to speak for the others when saying enough common sense was applied assessing the situation before saying something publicly about it.

Also just for Regulator-  Try playing nestopia with smoothing set to 8 frames vs someone at least a few states away. You will experience what dial-up tecmo was like on nesticle. Good times.  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:

I'm glad you mentioned this. Like I stated before, if that was the norm, I would have 1000 games under my belt adjusting to this type of tecmo, which would be OK. Trying to adjust in 4 quarters in a playoff game......sucks. Thank God for Nestopia!

Edited by regulator088

dont want to dog pile on zz, but I have had bad luck with button delay. Have had it with others time to time too but zz Ive come to expect to play In not great conditions like Lambeau field.

Maybe someone is stealing his wifi or something. I have to kick the kids and wife off the network when I play.

lol hhahah you are so funny man i love your humor lol ty

I've only played him once, just last week in HSTL.  It was nearly unplayable for a bit, I complained in chat and he agreed but we played on.  If it were a meaningful game with any kind of playoff implications I would not have continued.  It did seem to get better as we played on, but it was pretty bad in the first half. Very choppy and caused a few mistakes even worse than my usual ones  :)

Not trying to pile on either, just my input.  Maybe he's on a shared connection or something?  Like I said, it got better in the second half of our game...  As if something were impacting his bandwidth early on (ie. roomate or family member hogging connection).

I don't think anyone wants to play with lag or delay, myself included. If I knew why I lag with some and not others, I would have fixed it by now. I have upgraded my internet speed and maybe that has helped, maybe not. I'm open to any suggestions on how to get this fixed with those that lag or delay with me. Now to answer brus q's:

Laptop is less than a yr old

I'm connecting on wireless mostly but have tried with cable and it didn't make a difference.

Others are taken off Internet when I play.

I have kaspersky internet security.

I do think it runs smoother when I'm the only one on Internet.