The Quest For 32 - TSB4's Journey to Completion.

1 Freakin' Byte... I spent 6 months looking for my screw up and it was 1 freaking byte I missed for FA to have names.  Found the thing tonight.  Working on getting the FA to have faces now.

I'm pretty sure I will get that done this weekend.  If so, this thing is going to happen this year.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by drunken_honkey
additional text

17 hours ago, drunken_honkey said:

1 Freakin' Byte... I spent 6 months looking for my screw up and it was 1 freaking byte I missed for FA to have names.  Found the thing tonight.  Working on getting the FA to have faces now.

I'm pretty sure I will get that done this weekend.  If so, this thing is going to happen this year.  Fingers crossed.

200.gif

I spoke too soon, for some reason the function to view players in Trade and FA menus in the season mode will freeze the game.  You have to leave the screen then reset the ROM to start viewing players again.  I think I have narrowed down what it might be, but I don't remember exactly what I coded and why.  So I have one jumper that is 22 FF FF FF, which I am sure was supposed to jump somewhere.  But for the life of me I can't figure it out.  Will compare an older version of a Rom I have that I first added faces without much editing.  It works, so I will just have to grind out and match jumper for jumper and code for code to see what might be breaking it now.

Got one of the pieces solved on the error when looking at players.  I had a glitch somewhere where when you start the a new season and you are going through the FA signing, you couldn't look at the players.  The game would go black and freeze.  I tinkered with my code and got it to where you can at least look at any players that are on a team by default, but now I need to find the glitch that will let you look at default FA in that mode.  Right now you can sign a FA, and once they are on your team you can view them like normal (sort of, when you sign a default FA player, you first have to back out to the Season screen and reset the game before doing so).   While going through my coding I caught a big flaw in my logic.  Right now, if you have a season going and you have new players or change the starting lineup, when you are in exhibition mode, the players face and color load over the default player you replaced.  But I was able to find some coding in RAM that let's me distinguish between season and exhibition.  I will have to write a code into my coding that first looks at this byte and then decides how to load the face and color palette.   This shouldn't be too hard, it will take some thought, but I wrote down the new logic and it seems like it should work as long as I can figure out the FA glitch.

Updated 07/27/2020

Found the remaining coding to be able to view player faces in FA Mode.  It ended up being in my original coding for color pallet loading.  The table only allowed for 32 teams, had to expand the table for 34 teams.  Then I tinkered with some of the location I changed from "1E" to "20", updated the front page.  I had to change one location back to "1E".  Not exactly sure what it does, but will research further.  This seems to be the Rom location I need to fix the Trade bug also.  Will have to break down the coding to figure out what it is doing and how to code it so I can scroll past SEA forward and backwards.  Right now when you scroll through the trade menu you freeze the game when SEA is loaded as the Team to trade with.  Also, SEA doesn't load players when activated as a MAN controlled team.  It doesn't freeze the game and allows you to move to the FA Mode, but it won't let you load anything.  This all has to be in the same coding.  

Also, I need to find the code that reads the 31st and 32nd team when going through Free Agency.  If you choose SEA or San Fran, it does not let those 2 teams activate.  That means I missed a byte that looks for 32 teams, not 30.  I will look at my listed locations on this thread to see where the start of season coding is and look around that spot.  This might solve my Trade player issue also.  I found some coding but you can not trade with SEA or SF at this time.  So I turned that function off for now.  But when I figure out the FA expansion, hopefully it will solve that too.

Edit 07/26/2020

Found part of the code for allowing San Fran and SEA to activate them to sign FAs. 

Edit 07/27/2020

Only issue is that if you are SEA and any other team is MAN/COA, you will be left out of the FA mode.  So it's not found, but I at least have the location to start investigating.  I've updated the front page (Free Agency/Trade Section)

Edit 07/27/2020

Faces for FA are done coding wise.  Still need to assign player faces and pallets but the coding to view while in FA Mode is complete.   Will next write the coding to filter face load for Preseason and Season.

Edited by drunken_honkey
Grammer

Great progress. My brother & I have been playing season after season of TSB 3 twice a week every week for the last year and half or so. We are currently in our 22nd season.

Considering we thought this game was gone and forgotten, we are beyond excited and planning taking off from work when this becomes available.

All we can say is thank you for your effort and you should set up a donations link for all your work, as we would gladly partake in rewarding you for making this dream of TSB 4 a ( almost ready !?! ) reality 

Found a location in RAM that will make the face hack work smoother.  Needed a marker that I could use to determine what mode and menu I was in.  In RAM, x7E17E7 loads the players number and condition no matter what menu you are viewing the player.  I had written my own coding to get this number and was using SRAM.  Well in exhibition, this screwed up the player faces if the season team was different than the default team.  Finding this location will allow me to just load my face codes and pallet codes without all the extra coding I created to keep up with it.  I have already written out my new logic, will need to find a place in the ROM to write it.  I should be able to get the face hack completed by this weekend.   Then I'll tackle the Trade and FA modes completed.  The only other hurdle I have after that is the injury cutscenes, it doesn't always match the player's team colors with the returning player.  I think I have a way to get this figured out, but will deal with it once I get the face hack done and Trade/FA Mode squared away.

Edited by drunken_honkey

Got the code working about 80%.  Still saw a couple buggy things that I have to see what is happening.  Most likely my coding.  But I was able to get Exhibition and the Depth Chart view working correctly.  The buggy stuff happened in the FA View and Team View (Though I think it was just the FA view that bugged out).  The face of the player I signed wasn't the same after I ended FA.  Got to dig a little deeper as I think I know where the issue is happening.  The FA roster save is mapped out in a weird way.  

The RAM location x7E17E7 only slightly helped, it didn't quite do what I thought it was doing.  I was able to find a couple more markers in RAM.  If x7E080B = FF then it is the depth chart view.   If x7E0804 = FF then it is exhibition Team View.  Viewing a player from the Team Data menu, FA and Trade all do not have FF at x7E080B.  The only view menu with FF at x7E0804 is the Exhibition Team Data Screen.  So I had to make a filter with jumpers comparing these locations to find out what coding I needed to use to map the faces.  

I should be able to finish this by this weekend.

Edited by drunken_honkey

• 8 months later...

Trying to follow along here. I've gotten through stage 2 where playoffs is invisible but at position 9 of the menu. Working on Stage 3  I know its probably long gone by now. But if you have a chance to screenshot the jpg that you did in the guide. I'm struggling to read it and when I enlarge it on my monitor is just goes more blurry. Going to do my best to see if I can guess and fill in the blanks.  

Basically as soon as I copy paste that large section, even before I change the pointer to it, it makes the game no load correctly on SNES9X, not sure if its just failed checksum or what.

Edited by Dusto

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, Dusto said:

Trying to follow along here. I've gotten through stage 2 where playoffs is invisible but at position 9 of the menu. Working on Stage 3  I know its probably long gone by now. But if you have a chance to screenshot the jpg that you did in the guide. I'm struggling to read it and when I enlarge it on my monitor is just goes more blurry. Going to do my best to see if I can guess and fill in the blanks.  

Basically as soon as I copy paste that large section, even before I change the pointer to it, it makes the game no load correctly on SNES9X, not sure if its just failed checksum or what.

Did you ever get that figured out?

On 5/30/2021 at 10:02 PM, Drewmanster said:

Did you ever get that figured out?

sadly no.  I know Drunken drops by occasionally . So hopefully he'll have a clearer version around.  If not I'm still stuck at this step .  The save point right before it runs, but this step failing keeps the rom from even loading

12 hours ago, Dusto said:

sadly no.  I know Drunken drops by occasionally . So hopefully he'll have a clearer version around.  If not I'm still stuck at this step .  The save point right before it runs, but this step failing keeps the rom from even loading

I think I'll give it a shot too, but it probably won't do any good for me either

Sorry fellas, my job got real crazy as of late.  It's good for me bad for downtime.  It has started to settle down, might be adding 2 new team members at work so that will help.  I am going to bust out my rom today and tomorrow and get back to it for a couple days.  I have started a base game with little graphical hacks.  Will continue to work both.

I am stuck on one part of the TSB4 rom for create a player.  Trying to hack in a face editor for that mode.  Got most the information but it's not working like I want it to.

3 biggest hurdles for the base game:

Big Helmets,  which I have halfway already got a fix

Endzones, not really sure what to do there.  Might just have to hack in my field mapping and go with midfield logos.

Season Team control menu.  I hack it so that each team is a single page, have to go back to my notes and see how it all works again to add a fourth page of teams.

Edited by drunken_honkey

On 6/2/2021 at 10:27 AM, Dusto said:

I've updated the image you were describing.  Should be able to click on it and get a better clearer look at it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So, I am revamping the faces as when I was going to do the faces for each, I see there aren't enough options.  Just to pull the curtain back, this is what I worked on yesterday.  There will be 42 player face models with 880+ color combinations for each face.  Here are the notes that I do as I start coding.  

Check x7E2620

CMP TO LOAD SKIN/HAIR PALLET *11 DIFFERENT BASE PALLETS, x7E211C EYEBROW IS HAIR COLOR*

TABLE 00-DD

20 DIFFERENT LOAD PROGRAMS TO LOAD FACIAL HAIR AND HAIR

Check x7E2621

CMP TO LOAD FACE VARIANT *4 DIFFERNT LOAD PROGRAMS THAT ADDS FACE VARIANT LOOKS*

NEED 3 VERSIONS
TEAM/PLAYER VIEW
FLASH DURING GAME
CREATED PLAYER

CREATED PLAYER NEEDS ADDITIONAL CODE TO FLIP THE 2ND # AS YOU CREATE THE PLAYER.

NEEDS FILTERS FOR WHEN = 14 CHECK NEXT NUMBER, IF 00 +1, CHANGE BACK TO 00 REPEAT UNTIL
2ND NUMBER = 04, THEN LOAD NEW COLOR PALLET REPEAT.

WHEN NUMBER == DC SPECIAL LOAD NO HAIR COLOR, ONLY CERTAIN TILES CAN HAVE IT.  IF TILE
IS HIGER THAN 08, SKIP THIS AND THE BALD COLOR LOADS

NEED TO CREATE A POSITION CHECK TO LOAD 00-70 FOR WHITE DEPENDING ON POSITION
80-F0 FOR BLACK PLAYERS

Load White/Black Palette
C230 A20000 BF00F9B3 9F00217E E8E8 E02000 D0F1 return

Load NA 00
C230 A20000 BF00217E 9F20217E E8E8 E02000 F0F1 return

Load Nose 01
C230 AF1C217E 8F0C217E return

Load Cheek 02
C230 AF1C217E 8F08217E return

Load Nose and Cheek 03