Is there a good program for Hex Comparison in a ROM.

TheFes75

All, I did a quick search on the internet for Comparing Hex code in a ROM or file, but got nothing concrete or that I could understand.  My question is, if I am comparing two identical versions of a ROM's Hex code, but there is a minor change to one, is there a program i can use to compare and that would identify where the differences are?  Or would I have to go line by line and figure out where the difference is? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by TheFes75

What two roms are you trying to compare and why?

Yes, there are tools that will "stop" at every byte that is different. Or tell you how many bytes are different

I have an ORIGINAL TECMO BOWL ROM that I got from Tecmo Mad Brad that allows you to play as the same team against each other. I wanted to compare it to the original TECMO BOWL and see the difference that allow you to do that.  Then I was going to implement this on the 24 Team ROM that has the ORIGINAL TECMO BOWL and the Japan Famicom version. 

HxD Hex editor.

I second HxD

Are you guys using this as your primary hex editor or for the task of a hex compare.

If you use another hex editor on a regular basis, what is is and for what?

there used to be a program I had like 4 or 5 years ago, I think CXROM made it.  Anyways, it was a simple executable and you pointed it to two files, it returned a text file with all of the differences.

that was 2 or 3 computers ago and I lost it, but have missed it and never found anything else like it (at least that doesn't require command line or installing 50MB of garbage).

so, if anyone can get ahold of CXROM, as him for that compare program!  and then post it!

Here are my tools and what i use them for.

SNESpal - Use this to edit color pallets.

NOSSNS Emulator with debugger - (This is best for finding graphical things) Has VRAM Veiwer

SNES9X1.43 with Geiger debugger - (This is best for finding codes) *these emulators aren't very good for playing, but great for hacking. This emulator has a disassembler attached. Upper level stuff, but if you go deep enough into the rabbit hole, you're gonna need it. Basically, you type in a location in your rom and the number of bytes that you want disassembled, and it'll break it down into assembly language. This is the best thing you can have when tracking down coding and adding coding. This emulator will allow you to dump ram, disassemble, see color pallet coding, graphic mapping, what's being used, locations codes use and open ram locations when you want to add things.

Cygnus Hex editor - My main hex veiwer/editor.

HxD Hex editor - I use this to compare files. Haven't tried using it to edit hex, but Cygnus is perfect so why bother.

Tile Molestor - This is THE TILE EDITING TOOL. Every bit of graphical editing I've done has been with this. This thing is massive at first but when you get the hang of it, it's the bomb.

zSNES emulator - Might be better ones out there but I haven't looked. This is just the emulator I use to play the game.

Open Office Free - I use this instead of excel cause I'm not paying for excel.

Jstout assembler - Don't know where he got it but you use notepad to write assembly then run it through this program and it kicks out the proper hex coding. Use this when writing long strings of coding.

Edited by drunken_honkey

Just wanna say thank you to all the guys of the past and in this thread for making this game so wonderful. I remember the days before the 32 team rom and now we have every rom under the sun it seems. You guys TRULY do amazing work. I am amazed by the hacks, the attention to detail in ratings, even the small helmets on the selection screen are done to perfection. This game is older than me but I love it. Thanks again for all you guys do!

HxD Hex editor.

I second HxD

Here are my tools and what i use them for.

SNESpal - Use this to edit color pallets.

NOSSNS Emulator with debugger - (This is best for finding graphical things) Has VRAM Veiwer

SNES9X1.43 with Geiger debugger - (This is best for finding codes) *these emulators aren't very good for playing, but great for hacking. This emulator has a disassembler attached. Upper level stuff, but if you go deep enough into the rabbit hole, you're gonna need it. Basically, you type in a location in your rom and the number of bytes that you want disassembled, and it'll break it down into assembly language. This is the best thing you can have when tracking down coding and adding coding. This emulator will allow you to dump ram, disassemble, see color pallet coding, graphic mapping, what's being used, locations codes use and open ram locations when you want to add things.

Cygnus Hex editor - My main hex veiwer/editor.

HxD Hex editor - I use this to compare files. Haven't tried using it to edit hex, but Cygnus is perfect so why bother.

Tile Molestor - This is THE TILE EDITING TOOL. Every bit of graphical editing I've done has been with this. This thing is massive at first but when you get the hang of it, it's the bomb.

zSNES emulator - Might be better ones out there but I haven't looked. This is just the emulator I use to play the game.

Open Office Free - I use this instead of excel cause I'm not paying for excel.

Jstout assembler - Don't know where he got it but you use notepad to write assembly then run it through this program and it kicks out the proper hex coding. Use this when writing long strings of coding.

Thanks,

I'll try this out tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...