TSB Editor - TSBTool - Season Generator

BAD_AL

The download file contains 2 programs TSBTool.exe and TSBSeasonGen.exe.

They require the .Net Framework in order to run.

TSBToolSupreme beta at http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12655

TSBToolSupreme will edit:

1. Original TSB for nes

2. cxrom's 32 team ROM

3. TSB1 for the snes

TSBTool can be used to modify Tecmo super bowl nes roms.

TSBSeasonGen reads data files and spits out text that can be read (and applied to a NES ROM) by TSBTool.

You can modify the following with TSBTool:

1. Player names, numbers, faces , Attributes, Sim attributes

2. Team Sim attributes

3. Team offensive preference.

4. Kick returner/ punt returner

5. Schedule

TSBTool reads (and lists) plain text and applies it to a TSB nes ROM. Format looks like the following:

==============================================

TEAM = bills SimData=0xab0

QB1, qb BILLS, Face=0x52, #0, 25, 69, 13, 13, 56, 81, 81, 81 ,[3, 12, 3 ]

QB2, frank REICH, Face=0x22, #14, 25, 69, 13, 13, 31, 44, 25, 50 ,[3, 3, 2 ]

RB1, thurman THOMAS, Face=0x83, #34, 38, 69, 63, 25, 75, 50 ,[10, 7, 8, 8 ]

RB2, jamie MUELLER, Face=0x51, #41, 44, 69, 25, 88, 50, 25 ,[5, 3, 6, 2 ]

RB3, kenneth DAVIS, Face=0xa5, #23, 38, 69, 25, 19, 50, 31 ,[5, 2, 7, 2 ]

RB4, don SMITH, Face=0x8b, #30, 38, 69, 25, 19, 50, 31 ,[3, 3, 8, 2 ]

WR1, james LOFTON, Face=0x81, #80, 25, 69, 38, 13, 50, 56 ,[1, 8, 13, 6 ]

WR2, andre REED, Face=0xb6, #83, 25, 69, 56, 13, 56, 69 ,[1, 9, 10, 10 ]

# Schedule is specified like this:

WEEK 1

bills at dolphins

colts at patriots

jets at buccaneers

The goal in using a plain text format is to allow other programs, spreadsheets, webpages, ect... to generate content targeting it.

Read the Readme files before using.

Due to the 2MB limit, 1960-1967 season data are in a seperate zip file.

Note:

You can use SNES_TSBTool to modify the SNES TSB1 rom.

TSB_NFL_1.2.0.2.zip

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even teams TIP.

I noticed yesterday that sthere is interest in 'EVEN' Teams ROMs.

With the help of TSBTool, you can accomplish this editing task very fast (because the format for player attributes in TSBTool is 'comma-seperated').

This process should take less than 7 minutes.

Requirements:

1. TSBTool

2. Excell ( or some other spread sheet program that can read .csv files)

3. WordPad (or any decent text editor)

Step 1:

Open up Tsbtool, and list the contents of a ROM.

Copy the text.

Step 2:

Paste this text into WordPad.

Close TSBTool.

Step 3:

Remove the schedule information (at the bottom of the file) and the 'Key' (at the top of the file).

Save this file as a '.csv' file.

Exit WordPad.

Step 4:

Open up your '.csv' file with Excell.

Step 5:

Choose which team you want all other teams to be like.

Copy the 'Attribute' and sim data information from this team. (columns E - O, rows QB1 - P)

Now go through the file and paste over each team's Attribute and sim data.

Save the file, close excell.

Step 6:

Now open the file in WordPad.

Notice that Excell inserted a bunch of commas at the end of many lines.

Use the 'Replace' function to get rid of those trailing commas (be sure not to remove the commas in the middle of the lines.

Save the file.

Step 7:

Open up TSBTool, select an input rom.

Paste in the contents from WordPad into TSBTool.

On TSBTool select 'Apply To Rom'.

Done.

2005.zip

2006.zip

there may be a problem with the qb's when i used this, every team PS and PC were the same as PA and AB... just letting u know. and thanks by the way this program really helped me. i wish i knew what a csv was

{edit} nevermind i just figured out what csv was.... i love google

ok i just did another entire rom and the same thing happened, it has been verified. the order it takes the qb info must be slightly mixed...

this tool has made me so lazy now that i dont even want to go in manually and fix the qb's....

OK.

I fixed the QB attribute defect, and found another defect where the LILB Pass Interceptions and Quickness get overwritten with the Face data for the FS.

I also added the ability to assign a KR/PR.

You can assign QB1 - LG to return kicks/punts, but of course stats for returns are not kept for QBs and linemen .

The new versions are in TSBTool_TSBSeasonGen_v1.01.

If anyone finds anymore defects, please post a description in this thread or in the TSB NES forum.

The season gen thing is a good thought but just trying it on a few seasons says the attributes algorithm needs a lot more work at least on defense....the hardest thing to rate off of just individual player stats.

I'm not sure how Carrier gets a 44 INT rating when he had 10 ints in 1990.

Also the 91 Eagles had one of the most dominant defensive units of the past decade or more yet the stats the program spits out makes them mediocre at best. I realize you just used player stats but if you could somehow incorporate the team stats it would make for a lot more accurate ratings.

All this being said I appluad the effort you must have put into this.

The Mark Carrier thing is a Defect (thanks for catching it).

For TSBSeasonGen I sorted each position (from the original TSB) based on what I felt were the 2 most important attributes of that position. For DBs, they were sorted first on max speed, then on Pass interceptions.

In the case of Mark Carrier in 1990, I found him to be ranked the #3 DB. The #3 DB (based on my sort) from the original TSB had the following attributes:

=============================================

"44,56,75,44,44,31,[12, 3 ]"

=============================================

I should have caught the '44' in PI and bumped it up a bit.

The 91 Eagles defense was #1. Here are the attributes of the Defense (according to TSBSeasonGen).

RE, clyde SIMMONS, Face=0x9b, #96, 31, 44, 50, 63, 44, 75 ,[102, 2 ]

NT, jerome BROWN, Face=0x8d, #99, 38, 50, 63, 56, 19, 69 ,[16, 0 ]

LE, reggie WHITE, Face=0x99, #92, 38, 50, 56, 69, 31, 75 ,[7, 3 ]

ROLB, seth JOYNER, Face=0xb1, #59, 38, 50, 56, 63, 31, 69 ,[12, 12 ]

RILB, britt HAGER, Face=0x8a, #0, 25, 31, 38, 44, 31, 44 ,[2, 202 ]

LILB, byron EVANS, Face=0xc7, #56, 25, 31, 38, 38, 13, 75 ,[0, 120 ]

LOLB, william THOMAS, Face=0xcb, #51, 25, 31, 38, 38, 31, 50 ,[0, 120 ]

RCB, eric ALLEN, Face=0xc4, #21, 38, 44, 56, 56, 63, 81 ,[38, 130 ]

LCB, otis SMITH, Face=0xc4, #45, 31, 38, 50, 44, 38, 44 ,[25, 86 ]

FS, rich MIANO, Face=0x1b, #38, 31, 38, 50, 44, 38, 44 ,[25, 86 ]

SS, wes HOPKINS, Face=0x46, #48, 38, 50, 63, 44, 75, 75 ,[3, 2 ]

Theese guys don't seem that bad to me.

What do you think they should be?

I do take defensive Ranking into account when I generate the teams.

If you or anyone knows of a good method to rate the players for TSB, please let me know so that I can put it in the next version. I could also make this algorithm configurable by the user.

If there are just a few special cases where you think the program goofed up a player, you can use the 'AttributeMap' in the 'TSB_Data' folder to correct some of these prblems.

For instance in the case of the Mark Carrier Bug you mentioned above, you could add one of the following lines to the AttributeMap file as a work around.

========================================

FS, mark CARRIER, 38, 44, 56, 50, 81, 69 ,[53, 134 ]

FS, mark CARRIER, ?, ?, ?, ?, 81, ? ,[? , ? ]

========================================

In the first line, every one of his attributes are specified.

In the second line, only his Pass Interception attribute is specified. The other values will be filled in with what the program comes up with.

Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated. Good suggestions WILL make it into the next version.

bruddog,

I played around with the 1991 Eagles that TSBSeasonGen generated and I looked at the Eagles from the original nes TSB.

I think that the Eagles on TSB were a pretty darn good defense and when I compare them to what TSBSeasonGen generated, they are not far off. In fact I think that the defense generated by TSBSeasonGen may be a little bit better.

Have a look:

1991 Eagles Defense (Generated by TSBSeasonGen)===========

------------------------------------------------RS, RP, MS, HP, PI, Q, [sim PR, Sim PC].

RE, clyde SIMMONS, Face=0x9b, #96, 31, 44, 50, 63, 44, 75 ,[102, 2 ]

NT, jerome BROWN, Face=0x8d, #99, 38, 50, 63, 56, 19, 69 ,[16, 0 ]

ROLB, seth JOYNER, Face=0xb1, #59, 38, 50, 56, 63, 31, 69 ,[12, 12 ]

RILB, britt HAGER, Face=0x8a, #0, 25, 31, 38, 44, 31, 44 ,[2, 202 ]

LILB, byron EVANS, Face=0xc7, #56, 25, 31, 38, 38, 13, 75 ,[0, 120 ]

LOLB, william THOMAS, Face=0xcb, #51, 25, 31, 38, 38, 31, 50 ,[0, 120 ]

RCB, eric ALLEN, Face=0xc4, #21, 38, 44, 56, 56, 63, 81 ,[38, 130 ]

LCB, otis SMITH, Face=0xc4, #45, 31, 38, 50, 44, 38, 44 ,[25, 86 ]

FS, rich MIANO, Face=0x1b, #38, 31, 38, 50, 44, 38, 44 ,[25, 86 ]

SS, wes HOPKINS, Face=0x46, #48, 38, 50, 63, 44, 75, 75 ,[3, 2 ]

1991 Eagles Defense (Original Tecmo Super Bowl)============

------------------------------------------------RS, RP, MS, HP, PI, Q, [sim PR, Sim PC].

RE, clyde SIMMONS, Face=0x9b, #96, 31, 44, 50, 50, 19, 69 ,[48, 3 ]

NT, mike GOLIC, Face=0x2e, #90, 25, 31, 38, 50, 31, 44 ,[97, 14 ]

ROLB, jessie SMALL, Face=0x8c, #52, 25, 31, 38, 44, 19, 44 ,[48, 12 ]

RILB, jerome BROWN, Face=0x8d, #99, 38, 50, 56, 69, 19, 63 ,[5, 47 ]

LILB, byron EVANS, Face=0xc7, #56, 25, 31, 38, 44, 31, 44 ,[7, 25 ]

LOLB, seth JOYNER, Face=0xb1, #59, 31, 44, 50, 63, 31, 75 ,[13, 227 ]

RCB, eric ALLEN, Face=0xc4, #21, 38, 50, 44, 50, 50, 69 ,[3, 0 ]

LCB, ben SMITH, Face=0xc6, #26, 38, 50, 38, 31, 50, 63 ,[12, 2 ]

FS, wes HOPKINS, Face=0x46, #48, 25, 31, 19, 50, 56, 31 ,[47, 98 ]

SS, andre WATERS, Face=0x8b, #20, 25, 31, 19, 31, 25, 19 ,[76, 154 ]

Do you mean that you think they should be rated based on a historic context (currently they are rated based on the current season only )?

Where the program would analyze the yardage given up, points alowed, turnovers caused, against some of the best defenses in NFL history?

If that was what you meant then I think it's a good idea. I'll think about it some more and try to come up with a method that will make the various 'Killer' defenses absolute maniacs. I'll probably give an option to turn that feature on and off.

I don't mean that they should be rated on a historic context.

The 1991 Eagles that your program generated have a complete lack of INT power other than Allen in the secondary. Considering the team had a disgustingly high INT rate in comparison to the rest of the league I would expect their db's int to be much higher as a group an the best in the league by far since in tecmo int's primarily come from the secondary.

Hmm I don't know about that since there are years LB's pick off 5 passes. starting LB's on the whole average slightly less than 1 pick per season. I missed Hopkins 75int although Allen was definitely the better cover guy and they had the same number of picks for the year.

I click on tsbseasongen.exe and Tsbtool.exe and i get an application error message. "The appication failed to initilize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the program." What could I do or is it my computer? Thanks

Well I downloaded that microsoft .net thing and installed it, the TSBtool thing works but the seasongen don't. When I click on it a dos window comes up and disappears. So I cant really see what it says. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ben,

The TSBSeasonGen program is command line only, it needs command line arguments in order to do anything.

You can read through the readme files and the WindowsCommandLine.txt file to find out more about how it works.

For convience, I have included a couple batch files 'GenAll.bat' and 'GenSeason.bat'.

You can double click on the 'GenAll.bat' to generate all the seasons 1960-2004 (make sure that TSPRBOWL.nes is in the same folder).

I would suggest reading the README files that came with the programs.

You can make TSBSeasonGen generate different output by editing the season data files (change the ranking of a player), or by adding to the AttributeMap.txt file.

As for the lack of a UI for TSBSeasonGen, I'm working on a enhancement for TSBTool (a dynamic menu item) that would show up if it were in the same directory as TSBSeasonGen and the data directory.

burddog,

I took another look at how I assign attributes on defense. It turns out that I was only taking the defensive rank into account for LBs only. I'm fussing with it right now trying to find the right balance between defensive rank and individule ranking for the next update.

I had it downloaded but I had it in the wrong folder. I have a question, I have the 1962 rom from the download section, I want to use your data from the 62 season without changing the playbooks or the graphics, not making it look like the 91 rom, all I want to do it change the attributes and the teams in it, there are some teams in yours that aren't in the 62 rom and vice versa. What I did is open 2 tsbtools and was editing them one at a time and that seems to time consuming, I even tryed to copy and paste it but it won't copy and paste. Is there any other faster way to do it besides editing one man at a time? It took me like an hour to do the bills and colts.

I even tryed using that configfile thing to replace teams like say the bears with the 85 bears. I'm trying to make a 62 rom like the download on here, spliting the afl and nfl, but I cant seem to get it to work. What am I doing wrong. I'm starting to get annoyed with this already, I've been trying this for 2 days, if I cant get it to work its going. At the command prompt I type, tsbseasongen -config:configfile.txt, just like in the readme and says accesss denied and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo. All I want to do is reaplace teams with other teams and it aint working. I've wasted my whole weekend on this thing, never again. I've tryed everything.

Big Ben,

I'm glad you finally got were able to do what you wanted to.

I'm sorry you wasted so much time. If you have any feedback on how to make it more useable please let me know.

Also, remember that you do not have to use the text field in TSBTool to edit the data. Wordpad and Excell (csv format) can make you more productive.

If you get error messages, please post the error message (you can copy text from the commandline if you right click on the terminal and select 'mark', then select the text you want to copy ).

Also you mentioned that you couldn't copy and paste in TSBTool. This is incorrect. You can highlight the text and use Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste (this works in almost any application nowadays).

TDO,

TSBSeasonGen takes a year (in the simple case) as an argument (for example we'll use 1985). It then reads through the team data files for that year (in the folder NFL_DATA\1985). It will then assign attributes to the various players, and then it will write the output to the console (stdout).

At first this may sound kinda stupid, but if you re-direct this output to a file (using the re-direction command '>' ) you can then open this file with TSBTool and then apply the data to a TSB ROM.

So from the command line type the following (in the directory that TSBSeasonGen and the 'NFL_DATA' folder resides in):

TSBSeasonGen 1985 > 1985Data.txt

Now open up TSBTool, click on 'Load Data', select 1985Data.txt, now click 'Load TSB nes ROM' select a TSB nes rom to use as your base, click 'Apply to rom', Done.

If you don't like using the command line, you can wait for the next version of TSBTool (I'm adding a menu item for TSBSeasonGen).

SBlueman,

The ROMS that TSBSeasonGen would produce are what I would call 'Good Starts'. They are not of the quality that you and Rod normally post (I felt that your and Rod's ROMs were of such good quality that I extracted most of the Face and jersey number data for TSBSeasonGen to use).