Reduce 12-team original Tecmo to 8-teams?

I have a huge request.  Because my hex editing skills are non-existent, I am limited in what I am able to do in terms of editing ROMs.  I have this idea to create an XFL Tecmo Rom (the defunct league that lasted one season in 2001).  However, there were only 8 teams in the league.  If I were to do the roster editing for the ROM, is there somebody that is able to knock off the last four teams and make them unselectable?  I am going to be using the original Tecmo Bowl ROM.

Few questions for you.   Are you set on the original Tecmo Bowl rom?    Are you set on making your own?

The reason I ask is GRG had a XFL rom that everyone was really impressed with complete with helmet art and mods.   It's from 2006 and I haven't ever tried it, but it might be worth a download to see if it fills in what you're looking for.  

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/6940-xfl-tecmo/

@Dusto Thank you!  The only reason I was going for the original Tecmo Bowl is because I thought it might be easier to reduce 12 teams down to 8, as opposed to 28.  I didn't know this existed.  Downloading it now.

Follow up:  Holy jeebus, that was amazing!  Thank you for sharing that.  Definitely more work and quality put in that I would be able to do.

Edited by Baron von Lector