Sign in to follow this  
PockyCandy

A Now Hilarious Story

Back in 2008 or so, I checked out a book from a library (can't remember the name :( ). This book, written in 1999, was full of predictions about the next 20 years. They quoted all sorts of scientists and people like that. Now this was a book for kids, who will believe anything that sounds convincing. Anyway, I distinctly remember this statement, which was made by some esteemed scientist. He/She was talking about Global Warming, and said this:

"By 2012, children won't know what winter is. It will be an endless summer."

And as I type this, it's snowing at my house, which is in the south. I'd say that it's safe to say that I know what winter is.

The problem that many people don't get about Global Warming is that it's not going to turn into Mad Max land over night. That there will be fluctuations in weather patterns for many years before larger and longer transitions happen. The effects of Global Warming are like throwing a rock in a lake. First there's the impact, which is relatively slight. Then there is the rebound splash, which produces the sound and the water spray. Then there are the ripples that get created from the rebound splash. Then there is stillness.

The part of Global Warming that everyone imagines in their head is the final 'stillness' part of the rock/water analogy, as if the world was a desert or something. We are no where near 'desert' stage.

We're somewhere between initial impact and splash.

Last year was the hottest year on record globally. I live in Boston, and we've seen a historic Winter. California is experiencing a historic drought. Globally, many countries are experiencing historic storm fronts, including hurricanes, tornadoes, and all of the little signs that mother nature puts out there to let you know there is an imbalance in the ecosystem.

Every time someone takes a picture of the snow outside and posts on Facebook, "Global Warming is bullsh*t," makes me want to f*cking scream and punch someone.

I was referencing the difference/middle ground between the alarmist and the pacifistic, with a little added vent thrown in there for good measure. :) My addition wasn't a direct response to Pocky.

:neutral:

I mean, even at its most foundational 'cause and effect' sense, you can't produce the amount of carbon (and other non natural pollutant emissions) that mankind has made and pumped into the atmosphere / chemical (and otherwise) waste into the oceans and expect nothing to happen. It's just not logical. That's like the 1970s version of the rationale "when I 'throw it away'--it's gone, right?"

go to the highest mountain tops and the lowest depths of the sea of this great big world and you will see that whatever man thinks he can do to this big, beautiful earth is really nothing. you think the exhaust from millions of cars hurts the sky? seriously, go up in an airplane or "google earth" and look down at our "big cities"....they are nothing. look at all of the oceans, all the land. man thinks he is so big and bad, but he is really a dumbass.

yes, natural resources, like drinking water and trees are the most important things we need to be worrying about, in my opinion.

Edited by buck

Don't get me wrong.

I'm all for trying to reduce waste and I'm totally against this Chinese garbage Wal-Mart generation that is clogging up our landfills.  I recycle.  I buy "used" a lot, and buy vintage stuff when I can.  I try to conserve as much as I can.

And man can definitely fuck up his immediate area/surroundings, but I just think on a "global" scale we won't hurt this earth or it's systems of dealing with unnatural foolishness.

go to the highest mountain tops and the lowest depths of the sea of this great big world and you will see that whatever man thinks he can do to this big, beautiful earth is really nothing. you think the exhaust from millions of cars hurts the sky? seriously, go up in an airplane or "google earth" and look down at our "big cities"....they are nothing. look at all of the oceans, all the land. man thinks he is so big and bad, but he is really a dumbass.

yes, natural resources, like drinking water and trees are the most important things we need to be worrying about, in my opinion.

Buck,

that's a terrifying POV, IMO. I hope there aren't too many people who think that way. It's FAAAAR from bullshit, and what you're failing to recognize, or just failing to mention is that our ecosystems are often on a careful balance (in the macro sense) and even subtle changes, some of which have, or may have already occurred are enough to throw it out of balance and effect entire species, man.

I'm far from a tree hugging hippie - although I wish I had the discipline to be one, honestly. This shit is scary enough for me, (along with the potential socioeconomic climate) that it makes me hesitate to have kids.

advice to SirTed:  don't have kids.  like you, they will only consume and destroy, all for nothing, and they will ultimately only harm your "balanced" earth, (that happened to be made for them?)  I will not even go into the social/health issues that they will have to face, instead of living in a fucking paradise; and the social/health damage they will issue to other people who they meet in real life, or online, or anyone really who could, by any small amount, blame them for their own problems.

there aren't too many people who think like me, don't worry. and don't worry that I don't write my complete thoughts on this, only a generic snippit of what I think at this time.  I paint with very broad (and sometimes poorly executed) strokes, and some people can read through the lines and some can't.  I am not too concerned about being PC, just a little.  I am just a loud-typed idiot, who thinks he knows what he's doing, but probably doesn't.

Edited by buck

Well, I've heard these things about Global Warming in my almost 20 years on earth:

1: Global Warming is happening, and man and his pollution is the reason why.

2: Global Warming is happening, but man has nothing to do with it. (I've heard that the earth was warmer in the middle ages, and that surely wasn't because of pollution).

3: Global warming isn't happening, it's just a tool for people with agendas to use.

Of those, I'm inclined to believe #3. All I've heard all my life is that by '200X' that the Polar Ice caps were gonna be gone. And it seems like every year they push back the date of calamity.

Now regional climate change, that sounds more believable. 

Edited by PockyCandy

I've taken more than one thermodynamics class, chemistry, physics, etc and whatever else I had to take to get a Master's degree in EE.  and I'm still not scared of these ever-changing theories, theories that give people jobs essentially.  

What scares me is polluting drinking water, cutting down forests for shit that will just get thrown in the trash, and filling up the ground with infinite garbage and bullshit that was made to be thrown away, instead of last a lifetime.

Another thing that scares me is that "science" has become a dogma.  There simply not enough evidence to support some of these wild "climate change" claims.  There's not.  If you "think" there is, then you are just "believing" that there is.  Because there is just as much proof against "climate change" or any of it's variants.  

Anyways, how long have we been measuring temperatures, 150 years or so?  How old is this big ass rock we live on?  everybody can imagine that it's significantly older than 150 years.  Also, when did "man" start really fucking shit up - the last 60 years?

I saw the record low the other day, maybe 11 degrees, it was back in 1911.  Then, they also showed the record high for that same day, from like 1920, it was like 70+ degrees.  So, within 10 years, back close to the fucking horse-riding days, there was like a 60-70 difference on the same day.  And that was back before man went apeshit with cars and bombs and vacuums.  Let me guess, "climate change" in 1920 was from all of the HORSESHIT in the streets?

How about those atomic bombs and atomic bomb tests back in the day...I wonder if they heated up the earth a little?

Edited by buck

I suppose this article was written by someone with a modern high-school education.  I need to go read the actual article this clown is writing about.

Note that the article says that "22 ppm" (0.0022 %) increase in CO2 was found in the last decade.  So, you expect me to believe that 0.0022 PERCENT increase in CO2 is causing the earth's crust to "radiate more infrared energy"?  I will entertain the idea some more and get back.

Otherwise, the article makes it sound like:

1. there is more CO2 in the air than there was before (0.0022 percent more, allegedly)
2. the earth is hotter (by measuring "radiated infrared energy")

I see no way (that this article suggests) to directly infer that because of 1, 2 happens.  We could make up all kinds of stuff using that kind of logic.

ps- Did you know that there is actually about 1kW (1000 W) in a square meter of sun (on average).

EDIT 22 ppm is 0.0022 %....wtf.

Maynard_G_Krebs, on 02 Mar 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:
"Scientists Find Direct Evidence That Atmospheric CO2 Heats Earth’s Crust"
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/scientists-find-direct-evidence-atmospheric-co2-heats-earth-s-crust
Edited by buck

I suppose this article was written by someone with a modern high-school education.  I need to go read the actual article this clown is writing about.

Note that the article says that "22 ppm" (0.0022 %) increase in CO2 was found in the last decade.  So, you expect me to believe that 0.0022 PERCENT increase in CO2 is causing the earth's crust to "radiate more infrared energy"?  I will entertain the idea some more and get back.

Otherwise, the article makes it sound like:

1. there is more CO2 in the air than there was before (0.0022 percent more, allegedly)

2. the earth is hotter (by measuring "radiated infrared energy")

I see no way (that this article suggests) to directly infer that because of 1, 2 happens.  We could make up all kinds of stuff using that kind of logic.

ps- Did you know that there is actually about 1kW (1000 W) in a square meter of sun (on average).

EDIT 22 ppm is 0.0022 %....wtf.

Formal press release:

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2015/02/25/co2-greenhouse-effect-increase/

Well, I've heard these things about Global Warming in my almost 20 years on earth:

1: Global Warming is happening, and man and his pollution is the reason why.

2: Global Warming is happening, but man has nothing to do with it. (I've heard that the earth was warmer in the middle ages, and that surely wasn't because of pollution).

3: Global warming isn't happening, it's just a tool for people with agendas to use.

Of those, I'm inclined to believe #3. All I've heard all my life is that by '200X' that the Polar Ice caps were gonna be gone. And it seems like every year they push back the date of calamity.

Now regional climate change, that sounds more believable. 

There are always going to be people on the opposite end of something. The person single person who is claiming the world is going to end in two years is right up there with the person who claims nothing is happening.

I'm not a scientist. However being schooled in an university, being married to someone who has gone through the process of getting a Doctorate in Science, and reasoning have made me conclude that when science has a majority agreement on something that science should be believed until some point where data has changed which would make for a change in the science.

The percentage of climate scientists that have data that indicates that global warming is a phenomenon that is currently happening and is man made is 95%. That's approximately the same percentage of doctors that believe smoking will lead to increased cases of lung cancer. Your belief that global warming is some sort of giant hoax or conspiracy is misguided based on your own perceived biases. Just because some wack job went the other way to make an outlandish prediction doesn't validate your opinion based on belief and biased observations.  Given the way the internet works it's very possible to find continuous validation for an opinion based on feeling.

You or anyone else might believe that global warming is BS. I doubt any of your reasons are scientifically based and once again you can find endless amounts of "proof" that validates your opinion.

We have a guy on here who will swear to you that Johnny Johnson has hidden attributes you cannot see. They got Johnny Johnson's race wrong. They have other attributes in the game that are errors. Isn't it possible that there is something in the code? No matter how much proof you put in front of this guy he still swears that Johnny Johnson has special hidden attributes...plays above his numbers. 

The illusion of causality is very powerful and once an opinion is made based on personal bias it's hard to change.

so, knobbe, these 95% "scientists" who are they?  are they just "scientists" like me with a BS and MS in EE from a Major University, or are they "climate scientists" (not sure there is a schooling for that, but whatever)....

I found this one time online and copied it:

Let's take a look at the chain of causation:

1. Some parts of the world are prosperous enough to render idleness possible.

2. Idleness opens the door to a certain kind of guilt which busy people do not have the luxury to experience.

3. Guilt-ridden individuals tend to seek comfort in the company of the similarly afflicted.

4. The shared guilt, no matter how diffuse, can be rationalized by the adoption of a "compelling" common cause.

5. In order to possess a sufficient degree of compulsion, the cause must feature guilt as a unifying concept.

6. Guilt does not play a significant role in scientific discourse, so something else is called for. The pretense of science can serve as the cover, but not as the substance.

7. Any degree of hysteria is therefore acceptable. In fact, the more hysteric, the better.

8. This can only create an additional burden to the unfortunate who do not have the luxury to entertain this kind of madness.

In the meantime, carbon dioxide continues to be excellent nourishment for the plants, so all is not lost.

***and me saying "global warming is bullshit" was just a joke for mgk.  I do believe that the Erf may be getting hotter, but not so sure it's because of 0.0022 percent increase in carbon dioxide.

Edited by buck

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html

"Climate experts believe the next ice age is on its way."
- Leonard Nimoy, 1978

also, if you chose to read this, I also suggest poking around a little more on this website.  Well-written stuff.   Look to the right side of the page and read some articles.  you might not find the blind-hype you're looking for, though. 

Nimoy, was not a scientist, but he played one on TV...and the TV >>> reason.

Edited by buck