Defensive Human speeds up while pass is in the air

Atrain400

Hey,

I'm curious if there is a way to change the way a human defensive player speeds up to the receiver the ball is thrown to.  In an unedited version of the ROM, if you are in man coverage on the top receiver passed the edge of the screen and the quarterback decides to change to the bottom receiver, your defensive guy is so fast that he can get all the way to the other receiver before the pass reaches him and it breaks up the pass or interception, etc.  Can this be changed?

I saw Bruddog's notes on Man controlled defender top speed and the suggested changes don't seem to change how fast a human defender can reach the receiver.

For example, a guy that we regularly play always picks Howie Long and always drops him back into coverage and can get to any receiver the ball is passed to before the ball can reach the receiver, thus breaking up the pass.  It's really frustrating and lame.  Any thoughts?

If its like TSB3 coding its possible. We hacked TSB3 to use a rating we created to determine the chance of HUM/COM players to not loose speed while the ball is in the air or to use a much slower speed to run towards the ball while its in the air. I don't know NES coding but it should have similar coding.

Yes there would be a way to do this. 

For example, a guy that we regularly play always picks Howie Long and always drops him back into coverage and can get to any receiver the ball is passed to before the ball can reach the receiver, thus breaking up the pass.  It's really frustrating and lame.  Any thoughts?

Throw to the open WR on screen? Scramble? Use high a powered passing team? Throw to the endzone so a low INT long has to try and defend a deep jump pass. Sarcasm aside do you also want rb's not to be caught if they get past he last defender.  That's also very unrealistic but also "tecmo".

But yes its possible to slow down the man defenders once the pass is in the air

Ha, that's the beauty of Tecmo...I would prefer the man defender doesn't catch up the RB unless he's actually fast enough based on his stats.  But as far as the passing goes, the defense-man has chosen to cover the top receiver, he should not be able to get all the way to a deep bottom receiver while the ball is in the air. 

Like you had in your defense speed notes

Boost back up (After player with ball past line of scrimmage?) 

@258E4= default  = 05 notches back up   =50MS

I changed the 05 to 00, which doesn't give them any boost right?, just their actual speed from their stats?  I thought this change was great. 

Ya but remember that defenders by default are faster than offensive players. ie 50MS defensive player would be 150MS offensive player. 

Anotherreason going from top to bottom is easy as well is that a tecmo field is dimensionally way too narrow  The width of the field is only 20 yards wide when it should be 50. 

Ok cool, I take this doesn't have affect for the games against the Computer?

Also, what would the string be for Defense speed if I wanted to say 75% of what it currently is?  Just the 3/4 the hex value for every spot?  So for the MS Defense x3DFEF to x3DFFE I would change it from

25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B 2C 2D 2E 2F 30 31 32 33 34

to

1C 1D 1E 1F 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 2A 2B

Edited by Atrain400