New Tecmo Bowl Title Screen

keithisgood

Tecmo Turd PMed me a while ago wondering if we should put some shine on the 32-team OG Tecmo Bowl Rom. While a lot of what we do here focuses on TSB, sometimes I want to play some 9-on-9, with big, chunky dudes and see Walter Payton give me a high five after every TD.

So I started tinkering with the rom to see what could be done cosmetically. I've added team logos to the opening crawl and plan to do the same on the team select screen and scoreboards. But really, we need a title screen, right? I've attached a mock-up of what I'm planning below. let me know what you think. While the rom has tile space to accommodate What's attached, i haven't yet dug into the code that writes the title screen, so some changes may be necessary to make it all fit.

post-8228-0-96150800-1422030105_thumb.pn

Hey, quick question not completely related to title screens but not worth it's own thread.

I can't remember for the life of me... is there any place in OG Tecmo Bowl where a large football graphic appears? I ask because the PPU for the team select screen loads with what looks to be tiles for a big football [see first pic attached]. I can't remember those tiles appearing anywhere in game. Is this just a leftover from development or are these tiles used anywhere in game?

If they're not used, i can wipe them out and use the tiles for the team select screen, and make it look like something below. The first team select screen is the one currently used. The following 3 are mock-ups; all of which there is graphical and hex space to implement. Colors aren't right yet though.

post-8228-0-45074400-1422455643_thumb.pn

post-8228-0-46699400-1422470603_thumb.pn

post-8228-0-57545100-1422470611_thumb.pn

post-8228-0-99331400-1422470620_thumb.pn

Edited by keithisgood

• 2 weeks later...

Buck, you're right -- I actually did it both ways and the small logos ripped from TSB look MUCH better.

The team select screen is finished. I'm limited by palette tables, so most of the small logos on the team select screen share the same palette, making some colors look slightly off.

The title screen is imported and the palette is mostly fixed. However, the TB title screen does a weird thing where the Black around the logo uses the Second color in the palette instead of the Black background. I've also yet to remove the Players Union logo and fix the legalese text on the title screen and the NFLPA text on the following crawl screen.

I've added team logos to the crawl, but again, the palettes aren't right. 

Take it for a spin and let me know what you think.

Tecmo Bowl 32 02-14-15.nes

post-8228-0-95244000-1423939710_thumb.pn

post-8228-0-44823300-1423940285_thumb.pn

Edited by keithisgood

impressive and very creative work, especially with the mini-logos - considering you only have 3 colors to work with them all!

a couple of ideas/suggestions for the mini-logos, because I think these two look the "worst":

1. rams logo - did you try to throw some blue around the horns?

2. seahawks logo - maybe replace the "red" with "blank/black"?  or make what's currently "blue" be "black" and what's currently "red" be "blue"?

Edited by buck

Hows this? I swapped the colors in the Seahawk, and added a yellowy-orangey color to the palette for BAL, CIN, CLE, PIT, SD, WAS, GB, MIN, NO, ARI and STL. I also tweaked the WAS logo.

Considering I have three palettes to work with (the fourth is taken by the flashing stars) and that every pair of teams has to share a palette, I think this might be the best option. I tried outlining the ram horn, but the pinkish/dark blue combo just didn't look right. Instead I swapped STL and ARI to a red/yellow palette.

As for the title screen, I'm thinking it might work better to scrap the image and just go with "Tecmo Bowl 2015-16" text.

post-8228-0-56571400-1424009856_thumb.pn

Edited by keithisgood

okay, well given the whelming upgrade to the Browns logo, getting ready to put the finishing touches on the OG temco update. Couldn't make the face work in the title screen, so I'm aiming for a more updated title font, one that doesn't look so painfully 8-bit. Let me know what you think of this.

post-8228-0-63482100-1424818805_thumb.pn

Requesting a little help -- I can't seem to find the palette table data for the opening scroll. Some of the teams (MIA, BAL, and SF so far as I can see) pull palette data from what was the NFLPA screen (x0685a - x06871) but every other team gets a palette value of 00 and I can't seem to figure out why. I did find that changing byte x06857 or x06858 will assign palette 0 to the NFLPA screen and the entire crawl up to the Tecmo Trophy, suggesting it's some sort of pointer, but I can't make heads or tails of it. I've attached my most current rom below. If anyone could take a look at it and see what I'm missing, that'd be great.

Tecmo Bowl 32 02-26-15.nes

I know they took out the helmets on the 32 team ROM, and now the team logo's are there don't know if that has something to do with it. 

Also everything looks great!

Just picking nits here but on the "M" in TECMO and the "W" in BOWL is there room to make it black in the spaces in the middle of the "M" and "W" much like the "E" and "O". 

Contact Tecmo Turd he may know the issues with the palette table data