Thoughts on a potential new 28 team live tournament format?

Tecmo_Ninja and I were discussing his online Cult league where you build a custom team of whoever you want as long as you stay at or under the $100 salary cap based on the position values in this spreadsheet:

http://tecmosb.com/Downloads/Documents/team_values.xls

I loved this idea and wondered what the rest of the community thought of potentially doing this in a live format on original consoles?

Prior to the tournament, competitors would pay via PayPal and select one the 28 Tecmo franchises.

The earlier you would sign up, the better the odds you would get to control one of your favorite franchises.

All teams in theory would be even since every competitor can build their team sticking to a cap of $100 or less

Multiple teams could potentially have the same players.

This would eliminate calling matchups or getting stuck with an original pre-set team you dislike.

NES consoles or Famicom AV consoles would be used with Everdrive cartridges

These carts would contain the custom ROM rosters.

The original TSB ROM would be used (no custom hacks)

Madison rules would be used

Instead of coin flip being used to select matchup it would only be for controller side

28 Competitors would be broken down into groups of 7 divisions for pool play

The winner from each group would make it to the playoffs

The playoffs would model the NFL playoff bracket

The top 12 teams would qualify for the single elimination bracket

The top 4 seeds would receive a first round bye (based on record and point differential)

Seeds 9-12 would be wild card teams and could come from any division (based on record and point differential)

We could also potentially have a single elimination division II playoff bracket for teams 13-24 and crown a separate champion. This would keep more players around for the duration and guarantee more games for everyone.

Everyone would get at least 3 pool play games

24/28 players would get at least 4 games (including at least 1 playoff game)

7 consoles would be needed with Everdrive cartridges containing the custom rosters - we could potentially get a sponsor to lend us these carts as long as we provide the consoles and controllers

Total tournament time would take around 2.5 hours for pool play,

1 hour for the wild card round for both brackets,

1 hour for the divisional rounds for both brackets,

1 hour for the conference championship and Super Bowl rounds for both divisions.

So roughly 6 hours which would allow people to drive to the tournament and return home the same day

Thinking about charging $28 per person

The four tournament organizers fees would be waived

Winner of the top bracket would get $400 and nice trophy

Winner of the division II bracket would get $200 and nice trophy

Rosters of all the custom teams could not be altered once submitted

The custom teams could be revealed in a 28 day countdown in the tournament thread leading up to the event for the rest of the community to analyze.

Thoughts? I welcome all feedback and realize this is quite a departure from the traditional tournament format - just curious to see what the interest level would be of having an event like this in Northeast Ohio.

Edited by UltimateWeapon

been thinking of doing something like this up here where I live in the PNW, where we'd basically do an HSTL-type of redraft of all the original players..... now, I'm somewhat ignorant of this whole CPU to NES cartridge thing, but I looked up that EverDrive cart you reference, which looks good to go in that regard..... but DAMN, it cost $150, so kinda puts a hurt on my dream of doing tournaments like this, and I'm sure would be a stumbling block for you as well..... so what I'm keenly interested in here is to see if you can find a cheaper price or if you can get those sponsors you describe, cuz if u can maybe i can as well..... so good luck dudes!  I'm rooting for ya.

been thinking of doing something like this up here where I live in the PNW, where we'd basically do an HSTL-type of redraft of all the original players..... now, I'm somewhat ignorant of this whole CPU to NES cartridge thing, but I looked up that EverDrive cart you reference, which looks good to go in that regard..... but DAMN, it cost $150, so kinda puts a hurt on my dream of doing tournaments like this, and I'm sure would be a stumbling block for you as well..... so what I'm keenly interested in here is to see if you can find a cheaper price or if you can get those sponsors you describe, cuz if u can maybe i can as well..... so good luck dudes! I'm rooting for ya.

I too am in the dark on those. We could play live on Brudtopia with NES usbs!

been thinking of doing something like this up here where I live in the PNW, where we'd basically do an HSTL-type of redraft of all the original players..... now, I'm somewhat ignorant of this whole CPU to NES cartridge thing, but I looked up that EverDrive cart you reference, which looks good to go in that regard..... but DAMN, it cost $150, so kinda puts a hurt on my dream of doing tournaments like this, and I'm sure would be a stumbling block for you as well..... so what I'm keenly interested in here is to see if you can find a cheaper price or if you can get those sponsors you describe, cuz if u can maybe i can as well..... so good luck dudes!  I'm rooting for ya.

Thanks for the support!

I emailed one of the potential sponsors this morning with my proposal:

- They would lend us the equipment (consoles, flash carts, controllers) for the duration of the event while charging us to "rent" it.  

- We would then factor the rental costs into the tournament entry fee.  

- They would have the opportunity to setup a storefront during the tournament

- We would let the competitors know that the "rental equipment" would be available for purchase following the event.  

- We would also give them credit for sponsorship in the official tournament thread to help promote their site and products (specifically the flash carts).  

Will keep you updated when I hear back.  Hopefully we can make this work.

It would probably be cheaper to do emulators with NES->USB controllers

Cool idea.

Thanks! I can't take credit for it since Tecmo_Ninja already runs the Cult Tecmo Online League with a similar format.  I agree that it would be cheaper to use emulators with NES -> USB Controllers.  That may be plan B if we can't get a sponsorship.

Ohio? Maybe. PNW? Maaaaaaaybe. Kind of nice because we all play certain types of players better than others, and now we have that opportunity. The only way it would be better is if it were done regular season style, because then there would be injuries, but I realize that that would take way, way longer.

Yes regular season in this format would be a lot of fun but it would have to be a multiple day event and would limit the number of people who could attend. I agree that it does let you build your team to your strengths, which I like. It also limits the number of people who would use the truly elite players because their team would be strong in one area but weak in many others.

A regular season would also change the team building strategy a lot - pass heavy teams would want at least 2 good WRs and run heavy teams would want 2 good RBs.

I came up with the $100 spreadsheet and some of the values should really be changed or at least discussed. 

One major thing is if you are allowed to use RB's at WR's which many tourney's let you do then the prices of teams with two good RB's probably needs to be altered. CHI RB's are currently a bargain because you can get a 56ms RB and then throw 63ms 50rec neal at wr for a pretty reasonable price. Their price only reflects having 2RB's not the fact that one of them can be put at WR. 

I came up with the $100 spreadsheet and some of the values should really be changed or at least discussed. 

One major thing is if you are allowed to use RB's at WR's which many tourney's let you do then the prices of teams with two good RB's probably needs to be altered. CHI RB's are currently a bargain because you can get a 56ms RB and then throw 63ms 50rec neal at wr for a pretty reasonable price. Their price only reflects having 2RB's not the fact that one of them can be put at WR.

You did an awesome job on the spreadsheet! Good to know about the values - if we are able to go forward with this format maybe we just say no RB at WR and vice versa (only WR and TE May play WR or TE positions)

• 2 weeks later...