How To: 16 team rom w/ 8 team playoff (minor help still needed though)

adscl84

I know it's been done, but it took me hours upon hours to find all of the relevant posts and sifting through hex codes of several roms to get it mostly correct.  This was way more difficult than making a 24 team romI mostly used jstouts CIFL rom as a guide since most of the posts I found came from him.  I messaged a few of the gurus with some questions, and I was advised to make a thread. 

I'm mostly linking to the relevant threads as a reference for myself and others.  I have no real knowledge of what this stuff does...I just looked for the differences in the original rom and the CIFL rom that would get me what I wanted.

I hope this serves as a reference for any other people who want to do this in the future, so they can save themselves the time and trouble I had to go through.  Also, if anyone can help with my other minor issues, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's basically a matter of copying the hex code from jstout's rom and pasting it into your own rom.  TheRaja also had a rom I found helpful for comparing hex.  This post is meant only to serve as a reference for anyone wanting a 16-team rom with an 8 team playoff.

*** Going From 28 Teams to 16 Teams ***

Firstly, I noticed that jstout used the teams from BUF to WAS, rather than using the last 8 AFC and the first 7 NFC teams.  His rom has only 15 teams, so I used BUF to GIA.  Find post #8 in the above linked thread for the relevant hex codes.  However, if you want to use GIA, their hex code is "0f".  For example, to have their team data show up in the Vikings place, type OF into x22c4f (this is "00" in jstout's rom because he does not have a 16th team).  Keep this mind any time the hex addresses in the above thread utilize the teams' hex codes for menus and selections.

I did not want to center the helmets and text on the screen, but simply wanted to "delete" the western divisions.  I used TheRaja's TFO rom as a guide for matters relating to text format and positioning (see relevant hex addresses).  Copy from his rom and paste into your own, remembering to make it so none of the western divisions show up.

Next, copy/paste x2e822-x2e83d to set the correct divisions in the teams' individual team data screens.  The conferences will show up wrong (Since your NFC East is composed of AFC teams).  Post #13 in this thread explains how to fix this issue, as well as some other things that need to be changed.

x23f6d-x23f78 edits how the standings screen displays.  jstout's rom is fancy as has a three team division (at x23f74).  This is normally not allowed unless you've applied some other hack.  Since I wanted 16 teams anyway, I simply changed that hex address to "04".

*** Going from 12-Team Playoffs to 8-Team Playoffs ***

This thread explains how to edit which teams make the playoffs.  I copy/pasted the following: 

x22e47 to x22E6c

x231ea to x2335b

x23fe5 to 2400c

This thread explains how to make a 10 team playoff.  This is not what we want, but it still tells you which hex needs to be changed.  I noticed subtle differences in other nearby addresses.  I'm not a hex expert and I have no idea what the vast majority of this stuff does, but I just looked for nearby addresses where stuff was not changed on either end and copy/pasted a larger segment:

x1e640 to x1e8bf

With this, you'll notice the text on the side.  The CIFL rom has different conference (ATC and GLC) names and no "Super Bowl".  Simply edit the text if you want it say "AFC" "NFC" and "Super Bowl".

Also copy/paste:

x2323c to x232ad

x23f7b to x23fe3

x2f250 to x2f2df

xef90 to xf14f

I think that was pretty much it.  I'll edit this post if I remember anything else I had to change.  Also, the posts below show to fix some other minor issues I had.

*** Fixes Needed ***

1.  The wrong icon displays for some of the playoff teams (a wild card sometimes gets a star).

2.  You can have NFC players on the AFC Pro Bowl team and vice versa using the change player feature in the team data screen.  (However this thread can make it so you cannot select the option to change players.)

I've attached what I was able to do for convenience to anyone who wants the base rom with only 16 teams and a 8 team playoff.  The schedule has the same teams playing each other 16 times (I copy/pasted the same week in TSBTool because I'm lazy), so you'll have to change that for sure.  Have fun.

16 teams.nes

Edited by adscl84
added more code to change

Maybe this can be helpful:

1. For the Standings sequence after the "1991 Standings" (end of season) screen:
You can input EAEAEAEAEA at each division's offset to avoid it from showing during that sequence:
AE - x225FF, AC - x22604, AW - x22606
NE - x2260E, NC - x22613, NW - x22618

2. For the Division Standings :
This TEXT: "EASTERN/CENTRAL/WESTERN" at x1eff5-1f00b, is "called-on-screen" by the 6 "pointers" at:
1. x1efc3-1efc4 (e5af)(corresponding Eastern-AFC)
2. x1efc9-1efca (edaf)(corresponding Central-AFC)
3. x1efcf-1efd0 (f5af)(corresponding Western-AFC)
1. x1efd5-1efd6 (e5af)(corresponding Eastern-NFC)
2. x1efdb-1efdc (edaf)(corresponding Central-NFC)
3. x1efe1-1efe2 (f5af)(corresponding Western-NFC)
You will only be using EASTERN and WESTERN, so you will only use pointers e5af for EAST, and f5af for West.

3. I saw the wildcards often show the "star" icon, but I really dont know where did that "8teams-playoff" code came from, (starting at offset x23208, it used to be stored the data about the Wild-cards, but you have a completely different code over there....). I used the "10 teams playoff bracket hack", and from there I just made the mods. to remove the 2 teams at the bottom, to have a 8 teams  playoffs (semi-finals), but I set the number of wildcards starting at that offset, so I can't really help you with this issue....

4. There is a code that was also used for the 32-teams rom, where you could set both conferences to have 16 teams, however I cant find that code right now. (Maybe if you follow the pointers that were set for that code.... somewhere around offset 2CCB0)

Anyways, I had this for the ProBowl teams:
x20CC0 - (0D) is the number of slots (TEAMS) you can move to the LEFT
x20CCA - (0E) is the number of slots (TEAMS) you can move to the RIGHT

Cuz I dont have the info. of where this value (14 teams) is allocated on the og. rom....

Thanks so much. That was very, very helpful.

2. That worked, except what is now the NFC West still says "AFC Standings" at the top of the screen since it was originally the AFC West. I tinkered with the hex code between x1efc3 and 1efe2, but it didn't affect the AFC or NFC text change or it made some screwy things happen. I'm guessing the text for NFC and AFC must have pointers at a different area.

3. The hex code came from this thread. I copy/pasted x231ea to x2335b. The CIFL rom doesn't have this issue, so there must be more hex code about the playoffs that I'm missing.

4. I see the hex code near 2cc0b in the 2015 rom is different from what I have, but I have no idea what the differences do and what I would need to change in my rom. I was at least able to keep from scrolling to "deleted" teams with the other addresses you gave, but there is no separation between conferences: I can set NFC players as AFC pro bowlers and vice versa.

There are superficial issues as far as I'm concerned, but I'd still like to find out how to fix the existing issues just for my own knowledge. When I feel like it, I'll compare hex codes again and see if I can figure things out. I'm at least happy that the season and playoffs will work out the way I wanted. I updated my post and the attachment to reflect the new changes.

Edited by adscl84

I just can't figure it out.  Starting at x231ea it looks the same as in this thread, but then it starts to differ at x23224.  I don't know if this is because you have five divisions or not, but I think it's weird that I copy/pasted the hex from jstouts rom and have this "issue" while his rom does not.  From what I can tell after simming dozens of seasons, the #3 seed is the one that gets the star.  The #3 seed would normally be a division winner, so I assume that's why they get the star.  This tells me I missed some string(s) of hex in his rom to copy, but I've yet to find any old posts that contain hex I haven't changed.  The rom works at least, but it bugs me that I can't figure it out.

Also, I found some more ways to screw with changing players in the pro bowl team data screen:

x20cce is set at x00.  Changing this sets the first team that shows up when you scroll to the right, but it's the same for both conferences.  For example, setting it to x06 will have it jump from the Seahawks to the Browns (but also from the Falcons to the Lions).  You can scroll back left to the Bengals-Bills (and Bears-Redskins) though.

x20cc4 and x20cd3 are set at x60 and seem to determine if you can scroll left or right, respectively.  Set them both to x70 and you can't scroll in either direction.  With this, I can have the AFC scroll to the appropriate teams...but since x20cce also affects the NFC, it doesn't work for them. 

Edited by adscl84