Detroit, MI - 01/24/15 - Detroit Kumite III: A TSB Tournament

bob sacamano

Had fun guys! I had a lot of friendly on-field and off-field rolls assisting in my success. I played lights out and completely in my comfort zone until I played Regulator. He and Chet are the only two people I've played live that completely take me out of my game to the point I feel like I'm playing one of my first games of Tecmo again. At least I can say I won a little cash and finished 9-1 so that's cool. 

Thanks to to all the guys who helped organize and setup the tourney. And thanks to the #babyjoey crew for good company and a good drive considering we were in the car together for 10 hours or so. And thanks for not farting too much. 

How does one construct a Tecmo Magic Eight ball? Do you just take one apart?

It completely sucks and takes way longer than you'd ever expect. No chance I could ever realistically make more of them. 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2_qiCGiSA

I doubt that was TSB God. Could have been anyone...that's sort of the problem.

For the record I'm not opposed to streaming my tournament...I simply am not going to make an effort to do so on top of everything else that goes into putting on the event.

ok cool. I made an edit. Lol.  

Don't throw me under the bus.  You were the one passing out first!!

lol that's what happens when mort is running for 80 yards with freaking "don smith" vs me. I never had success at season mode on console.

The Detroit Tecmo Kumite III saw 38 competitors go to battle.  In the end Regulator took down Ciofani for the Kumite Cup title, RAI over PHI.  Regulator continued his hoarding of accolades, winning the contest for throwing for the most yards with the Bears, Jim Harbaugh. He takes home the Jim Harbaugh Starting Lineup.  Regulator is now our first two-time champion.  Congratulations Kyle!

Matt Miller, and Matt Diaz tied for 3rd place, while Eric O'Dell, Louis Buennagel, Matt O'Toole, and Ryan McKay tied for 5th place.

A thing we began last year to make this tourney even greater, and provide even more bang for your buck, we've included a pair of consolation tournaments as well.

Tim Moore took down Joey Vogt for the "First 16 Out" title, taking home the coveted copy of Foul Ups, Fumbles, and Follies (VHS '91).  Tim will surely enjoy this for years and years to come.  Congratulations Tim!

In the "Next 8 Out" consolation tourney, Derek Ruble knocked off David Thompson, earning his $20 tournament buy-in back.  Congrats Derek!

One thing of note:  We had someone's copy of TSB14 disappear, from Station A.  Perhaps someone finds it within their tourney materials, and if so please let me know.  The person who misplaced it was very saddened in regards to it's disappearance.  Thanks a lot guys!

What a great tourney!  A tremendous thank you to those that helped make this tournament run so smoothly:  Matt O'Toole, Chris Vogt, Chas Claus, and Megan O'Dell.  We absolutely could not have done it without you guys, and my appreciation is so large.  See you guys next year, and I look forward to seeing many of you at Madison in March for Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now.  Spots are filling up fast!  Visit www.tecmomadison.com for more info!

--
Eric O'Dell
Detroit Tecmo Tournament Director
Twitter: @tecmodell42

Props to everyone for a great tourney.  Honored to have placed 2nd with the quality of opponents (this was my 4 TDs at Polk High moment).  The Gods were in my favor for sure, and I was able to capitalize.  Props to the O'Dell family, O'Toole and Chas for putting it on, it ran very smoothly.  

For anyone who's never done a live tourney you have to give it a shot, just about everyone you meet are good people and are just happy that they get to still play a video game form 1991 that we all know and love.  

Finally had the opportunity to play Regulator, and he's all that's it's cracked up to be.  Kind reminds me of the first time we got to Mike Tyson on Punch Out and was like...I just got TKO'ed in 42 seconds!  He deserved the title and congrats on his little one coming in a few months!

Looking forward to next year for sure.  And it was great seeing the guys from NE Ohio represent (JV Ohio), seeing Mort and Louis again, having multiple conversations about twitch with Chris Vogt, and enjoying the finest that Auburn Hills has to offer.

Many thanks to all who came out and played, all that helped run the show and the stream, the staff at Hoops, and all those who brought equipment.  The Kumite is not quite yet officially over due to the $100 Super Bowl Special that O'Dell and I decided to offer.  The deal was if anyone who played a NE/SEA match-up had their game score match the Super Bowl outcome exactly, then each competitor in that game would receive $50.  Looking over the results page, the game was only played four times, and these are the outcomes where two competitors would win some dough.

SEA 35 - NE 17

SEA 28 - NE 0

NE 28 - SEA 0

SEA 41 - NE 3

My day started out great with a 6-0 start, but I lost a pair of close games to Diaz and O'Dell to limp into the final 8 and then ran into Tyson, where I landed a jab to go up 3-0 and then couldn't avoid the uppercuts.  Congrats to all the winners!  It was a great day.

Congrats to Kyle! also great talk Friday night I'll be in touch buddy. Great job Toolie and Odell as always tourney looked awesome!  miss ya wish I was there and see at Madison!

Got your voicemail Friday night.  I was trying to catch some zzzzzzz's at my mom and dads before traveling.  Thanks for the message.  We will hopefully see you in March.

One thing of note:  We had someone's copy of TSB14 disappear, from Station A.  Perhaps someone finds it within their tourney materials, and if so please let me know.  The person who misplaced it was very saddened in regards to it's disappearance.  Thanks a lot guys!

Hey man. Sorry I missed your IM. No, that version was not mine but shoot me a message. I'll hook your boy up.

Were the Canadian brothers actively playing as a tandem the entire tournament? 

I know, I was confused by reading Tecmopsycho's recap about his game with him/them..?

Although, I will say, I played Jaimen I believe, and as I was playing him, I kept second guessing whether he was Jaimen, or Jeremiah.  So, I just said, GG (fill in name here), (nah let's just go with...) man.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just wanted to say this was my first tournament and I had a great time. I never had any idea about any of this until I happened to see the NFL Films show a couple years ago and then started to find all this awesome stuff online. I couldn't make it to last year's Detroit tourney but I made it this time and everybody I talked to made me feel welcome even though I was a new guy. Excellent job with all the stats and recaps that you guys posted, especially Tecmo Psycho who stomped me pretty bad but still said nice things about me in his recap.