Madison, WI - 03/07/15 - Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now

sonofpatbeach

PS - Also Knobbe/Bailey you can't fumble an onside kick either.  Not to nit-pick, but it's you two so I will.   ;)

Did we say you could? I don't recall talking about it.

5 years deep in this Tecmo Madison mess and the ND crew is still in awe of the event. Tecmo Madison has gone from a 20-person drunkfest at the Plaza (what my personal wet dreams are made of) to the gold standard of what Tecmo tournaments are supposed to be: a 256-person drunkfest with the best Tecmoers that ever were. Below are are few blurred memories left floating in my head when all the Tecmo dust settled:

• This year the competition kicked up a notch once again, backed up by both my personal experience and by Bruddog's unbelievable stats. Although some unbelievably talented competitors could not make it (Regulator, Butt Douglas to name a couple), some big names were getting mowed down early. The bracket was a bloody slaughter.
  • Congrats to #1 Tecmo Psycho and #2 Coconuts. Nice to see fresh faces in the title game. 
  • I was offered as a pleasure sacrifice to Mort in pool play. Was so petrified when he picked Cowboys vs. Broncos that I picked the Colts. 
  • Wes L. and Matt B. informed me that the Tecmo God has a name.
  • The Orenga Posse was in full force with dog costumes, duck hunt attire, stupid hats, a life-size Dog-Orenga cutout, whistle thiingies, the best people to walk the Earth, and everyone's favorite #eatshitorenga himself. 
  • Dave Fucking Murray flew in from Florida, concocted a perfect internet streaming event with Super Nintendo cables, drank some Yukon Jack, and DIDN"T EVEN PLAY. If anyone clamors in the internet closet that the stream wasn't good enough, I will change the official Madison hashtag from #eatshitorenga to #eatshit(enter your name here), and it won't be a joke. Dave is a God among men. 
  • Speaking of God among men, Bailey has officially reached the apex. He drove from Minnesota to help set up the tournament, coordinate all the games, talk smoother than owl shit on the stream, purchased the ND Crew a bunch of beers, then helped clean up the tourney. He also did this WITHOUT PLAYING. I cannot tell you how much I admire this attitude.
  • Bailey and Dave Fucking Murray exemplify what dreamlike atmosphere Tecmo Madison has created -- Guaranteed fun no matter who steps in the door. You went 0-2 in your games? Boo hoo. 5-1? Yay. Doesn't much matter. Saddle up and grab a shot of tequila. Put it on ND's tab.
  • Tecmo Graveyard. I always tiptoed and whispered near it. 
  • Reading from the Old Testament Book of LT. 
  • Exchanging dirty jokes and non-stop good times with Grogan and Testaverde.
  • Flo buying 4 packs of Tecmo Trading Cards in hopes of getting his own card on the cheap, but getting skunked. Don't even think he got a Mort. 
  • The #TecmoXI Twitterverse. Still laughing today. 
  • Having Tecmo Legends' faces light up when asked to sign their own Trading Cards. 
  • Attempting to be Rikster's wingman at the Plaza and failing miserably. 
  • Hoped upon a star that first Tecmo woman to win against Luke, but that Nebraskan has no manners or class. Just check out his card (they never lie):

post-8376-0-18784900-1426195618_thumb.jp

Last but not least, and not in bullet point because it is the most important. Thank you to the Holzbauers, Orenga, Table Score Guy (Larry), the Child of Destiny, The Ladies of Tecmo and all that put this thing together. You have given us something special to look forward to every year. Superb job.

And as always...... Eat Shit Orenga

Here is the broadcast in its entirety. It starts out a little rough. Thanks Orenga Posse!

>http://www.twitch.tv/tecmobowl/c/6298622

I need some help identifying games. Any takers?

All I need it a timestamp and matchup. Example:

Start: 00:00

End: 01:05:30

Broconuts MIA

Ruble PIT

Lastly, I recorded the group play games. When I get time I'll sift through it and post those games. The best one I remember was a Bruddog vs Hake matchup.

Tecmo Bros,

Any takers? I'm being screwed out of Twitch at work and no mas time with the baby at home. (Making up serious time. I have to ask about MWTecmo soon. lol)

I seriously think this task would take someone 20mins.

Rubles, the champ? You did 1/3 of it already!

What a fantastic time that ALWAYS ends way too soon. One of the highlights of my year, and I'm pretty sure I'm speaking for many, many others. Can't start the post off without thanking and commending the Holzbauers for their continued hospitality every year. You guys find a way to ask these simple questions that go so far: "How was the trip up?" and "How are your games going?" It doesn't go unnoticed over here. To Bailey, Irwin, Murray, Knobbe, the Ladies, COD, Orenga and everyone else involved with making Tecmo Madison what it is, thank you so much! It takes a lot of talent to put together this thing, and you all have an extraordinary amount of it from all facets of the spectrum. Thanks again.

Tecmo XI from my view:

- I've now known Derek Ruble, TecmoPsycho, for roughly 5 years. Thanks to Tecmo, he's become one of my best friends. Congrats on your achievement. If there is anyone who has watched your transformation and dedication to the game these last 5 years, it's me. And to see the most elite reward come to life for you was truly a spectacle to see. Congrats, friend.

- I have to note that Jimmy Vogt, one of my three brothers, aka Lefty, doesn't play competitively more than one time a year. And that's at Midwest. He doesn't even play online anymore, and he rarely ever plays console with Matt, Joey and myself during the random times we get together to smash some brew on a Saturday night. He made it to the Sweet 16 and was the only Vogt to get in the money. It was so exciting to see him climb back to the ranks he once was. He made a comment on the way home: "It's like riding a bike, man." I really hope his performance will persuade him to come around the Tecmo scene more often. Great run, Jimmy. Love ya.

- Daboy, Jon Jones. He's one of the original Caravaners. His consistent Tecmo playing style is impressive. It was great to see another far run by him as well. You were involved with two of the craziest plays of the tournament -- the JJ, double juke win against Josh H., and the JJ loss to VikingMoe. Unbelievable. I will start pulling out the camera phone and recording stuff like this because anyone who has played Tecmo long enough knows when it is going to happen. Josh handled his loss with absolute class -- another reason why you are who you are.

- The PsychWard that was created on the spot with the help from Noonan was probably what made this trip the funnest Tecmo Madison personally. Derek and Orenga's game was probably the funnest to watch and be a part of. Derek told me it was so loud that him and Tony basically had to kiss in order for them to each other talk. The Orenga Posse is such a fun group. Standing next to Jamie during that game was a trip. I asked her if she wanted to switch spots in order to be behind Tony, she replied: "He'll be fine."

- Meeting Noonan was awesome. I'll never forget the first thing he said to me the night before the tournament: "Hey, you're a Vogt brother aren't you? I trolled the Tecmo forums without posting anything for 6 months." You brought tons of spirit and intensity to what is already a hectic, crazy-fun time. Can't wait to hang with you again, bud. I felt like I could have chatted with you longer.

- I don't know how HankTheTank was standing at the end of the tournament. But you're awesome. How much did you drink? I'm sorry we didn't end up making out to The Plaza following the tournament. You relentlessly insisted (at least 20 times) that we go there after, and I blindly confirmed to you that we were going to. The Caravan 7 instead went to Denny's on Pyscho's expense (thanks, again, Derek) and proceeded to just head back to the hotel. You do what the champ wants to do. No questions asked.

- Mort fell asleep. But prior to that, with whole head in a Badger Bowl bathroom sink, cornered Psycho in the bathroom and asked him while throwing up: "Blarg! Are you in the ... Blarg! Championship game? Hack!" I asked Mort how he was feeling the next morning as we were checking out of the hotel at the same time and he said he doesn't remember this. Keep being you, Morty McFly. Keep being you.

- I continue to tell Knobbe, Murray, Bailey that I'll make it up to the stream booth every year to help. I think I only made it up there for no more than 5 minutes. I'm so sorry. Is it really true that Bailey didn't even play, and drove from Minnesota to ONLY help? If so, that's a huge thumbs up. Thank you. Well done on the live stream as always. It's neat to come back home to friends and family who were watching throughout the day tell me how professionally managed the stream is. I can probably count on at least 10 from back home who will tune in every year, regardless of whether a Vogt is playing on the stream or not.

- Badger Bowl is amazing. Staff and all. The set up is perfect. I've been in the hospitality industry for more than 12 years, so it's automatic that I personally take the time to seek out the manager every year in order to thank him. Same, short dude every year making sure that everything is going smooth and the staff is on top of it. I really wish I had management staff who worked half as hard as the management staff at Badger Bowl.

- Dakota dudes. I'm blaming myself for not taking a little more time to catch up with you all. I think I thanked you guys for the Tecmo trading cards. Those are so cool. The next time I see you all, I've got a round of brew coming for you guys before anyone else.

- Was really looking forward to playing Dave Niebuhr in pool play in order to settle a 14-14 tie we had in pool play at Tecmo V. He made a mention that his Tecmo game had been neglected. We shared some conversation and it was great to see him again.

- I wanted to see a Ben B. vs. Ben B. match in my pool play group. And what do you know, sure enough I got it. It was the funnest pool play game to watch out of our group, as we had a fun crowd watching and rooting for, well, you know, a guy named Ben B. ... Ben B. won. They both had friends with them yelling and chanting some pretty funny stuff. I was matched up in the second round of the pool play bracket with one of the Ben B.'s and I almost sat down to play the wrong Ben B.

- I was bummed that I didn't get to see the First Child of Tecmo, Lucy. Maybe next time!

- Flo was ELIMINATED from the tournament by the youngest Vogt.

- It was great to meet Gripsmoke and Disastamasta. Ironically, Grip took Matty V out in the Round of 64, and Disasta took me out in the Round of 32. That shows you the level of competition in this thing. And it's only going to get harder from here on out. I would like to make a mention regarding my game against Isaac (Disasta). I really do want people to give their 2 cents on how they would have handled this situation. I feel like I made the right call, as I feel like it didn't effect the outcome. I think I ran away while Disasta was picking his plays to get a beverage, as the cabin room bar typically wasn't crowded. Came back, started her up and I had lost the coin toss, which in turn allowed Isaac to kick off to me to start the game. I went 3 and out and punted. Isaac realized that he had a bum pass 3 play. It is rarely ever used. In fact, I've never seen it used. He about flipped a brick -- frustrated that he had overlooked it. I immediately told him I wanted him at full strength. I didn't hesitate to start the game over, allow him to change that play, have him kickoff to me, and me punt it back. I lost 27-21 in OT. Sucks? Sure. But I think I made the right move. There is no reason why Isaac flew from Arizona to have something like that happen. He immediately called me his best friend and appreciated my move. It never really bothered me until I told the Caravan 7 about it. Some were impartial about it. If I were in Isaac's situation, would someone else be kind enough to start the game over? What if he had the ball first and realized his playbook was not to his liking or that he forgot to change it? Not a big deal. But I had the ball first, punted, then he realized the overlook in his playbook. I'll say, regardless, that I made the right decision. Go me. Adding that Isaac is such a down-to-earth, nice fellow. Really genuine of a guy.

- My puke rally. I won two pool play games. Went outside Badger Bowl, knelt pretty close to a group of about 5 who were smoking, vomited for about 5 minutes. walked back in and yelled, "Let's go!" They probably thought I was Tecmo's Hulk Hogan. But not really. One dude asked me if I was OK. I told him that I was golden .. now.

- Flo's Malort bourbon from Chicago. Never again. That was the result of the aforementioned.

- The Tecmo Graveyard.

- Finally. Forgot to add that rooting with Chet in the final stages of the tournament was a neat moment. I've always felt that the Vogts and Holzbauers have had a unique relationship of competitiveness, generosity and respect built all in one towards each other. In the words of Chet: "The is awesome. It's so cool to be on the VogtVan Bandwagon." I don't know how our Tecmo careers would be without meeting the Holzbauers. Thanks for enjoying our moment, Chet and Josh! Hope to see you guys down in Midwest, as I feel that Chet needs to start his second run at a three-peat in Cincinnati. ;)

Edited by vogtcd11

Is it really true that Bailey didn't even play, and drove from Minnesota to ONLY help? If so, that's a huge thumbs up. Thank you. 

I lied with this factoid, as I see he did play, but am still convinced that Bailey has reached the apex of God Mountain.

This was the intel fed to me by the Posse. Never trust the Posse. 

Love the recap, Chris, and wish we could have chugged Malort together. Your Vogt Universe Signature Card is going on my mantle. 

Edited by DrFrolf

I really do want people to give their 2 cents on how they would have handle this situation. I feel like I made the right call, as I feel like it didn't effect the outcome. I think I ran away while Disasta was picking his plays to get a beverage, as the cabin room bar typically wasn't crowded. Came back, started her up and I had lost the coin toss, which in turn allowed Isaac to kick off to me to start the game. I went 3 and out and punted. Isaac realized that he had a bum pass 3 play. It is rarely ever used. In fact, I've never seen it used. He about flipped a brick -- frustrated that he had overlooked it. I immediately told him I wanted him at full strength. I didn't hesitate to start the game over, allow him to change that play, have him him kickoff to me, and me punt it back. I lost 27-21 in OT. Sucks? Sure. But I think I made the right move. There is no reason why Isaac flew from Arizona to have something like that happen. He immediately called me his best friend and appreciated my move. It never really bothered me until I told the Caravan 7 about it. Some were impartial about it. If I were in Isaac's situation, would someone else be kind enough to start the game over. What if he had the ball first and realized his playbook was not to his liking or that he forgot to change it? Not a big deal. But I had the ball first, punted, then he realized the overlook in his playbook. I'll say, regardless, that I made the right decision. Go me.

In your situation where you start off with a punt I would offer to do what you did. If the game started with him getting the ball and realizing same thing I'd offer a do over.

Now If I scored off a fumble on the kickoff or scored on my opening drive I'd probably ask to recreate the game situation...

In your situation where you start off with a punt I would offer to do what you did. If the game started with him getting the ball and realizing same thing I'd offer a do over.

Now If I scored off a fumble on the kickoff or scored on my opening drive I'd probably ask to recreate the game situation...

i would of just replayed the game fresh. im def not punting though. 

Damn it! I just down voted again. Damn phone. Thanks, Brud. I thought the same. Sorry about the stupid down vote.

I had that happen to me in a game or two at Lincoln V (I had a bum play/set or two) even in the Semi Final game.  I would have felt like a dick if I made him RESET the game for my mistake, I just said "ah shucks" and kicked ass anyways.

I used that bum play maybe twice in the game and both times it worked for either a 1st or a score.

Edited by buck

Can you change a vote? Second time I've done this. And there is no option to change a vote. :/

It's not part of the system. The best solution is where you mention something and then a couple of people fix the math

I lied with this factoid, as I see he did play, but am still convinced that Bailey has reached the apex of God Mountain.

This was the intel fed to me by the Posse. Never trust the Posse. 

You didn't lie per se. I was in a group...thanks to some logistics I didn't play until the 6th game our group played. I lost that one, went back to running the tournament for another 3 games that my group played, played another and won, then played immediately afterward and lost. If you get real nerdy and plotted my average position in Badger Bowl the largest heat spot would be at the check-in desk, followed by the broadcast area, followed by the bar, then the TV I "played" at would come in dead last. But at least I got this little souvenir:

IMAG0989_zpsllhoufdw.jpg

Malort isn't bourbon. It's a liqueur made from wormwood. It tastes like the tears of a dying clown.

Had I known Flo had some I would've gladly did a shot of it with him.

Edited by Beef Juice

Malort isn't bourbon. It's a liqueur made from wormwood. It tastes like the tears of a dying clown.

Had I known Flo had some I would've gladly did a shot of it with him.

Malort was like the residue off the dead clown's decomposing body.  We all had enough for everyone.  While I am appreciative of Flo's gesture, I will never have such filth again.  I think I still taste it.