Madison, WI - 03/07/15 - Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now

sonofpatbeach

I think you guys have your Gios confused. The Gio in Group 5 is a local Wisconsin player with a respectable if not awe-inspiring .500 record.

Giorgio F. (ChiefsJr83) is in Group 13.

Nope I'm not confused about who gio is. :cool:   He was in my pool last year and his losses were to me and joey.  But he's been playing online after madison as many of the online guys know. In many other groups I'd say he'd have a great chance to come out of the group as at least the runner up.

http://www.tecmoplayers.com/?page_id=21&player=2744

He's 8-8 vs louis for example in original rom style games. 

http://www.tecmoplayers.com/?page_id=159&player=2744&opponent=2153

He also won the CLE vs CLE tourney in Sept. 

http://www.tecmoplayers.com/?page_id=74&tid=19

For those who may have missed it in their email, attached is a Madison Madness FAQ and a blank "bracket." The basics are these: If you want to participate in this March Madness spin-off, it's $10 payable on tournament day, but your "bracket" is due no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 6th. Good luck. 

Madison_Madness_FAQ1.docx

Madison_Madness-Blank_Bracket1.xlsx

Nope I'm not confused about who gio is. :cool:   He was in my pool last year and his losses were to me and joey.  But he's been playing online after madison as many of the online guys know. In many other groups I'd say he'd have a great chance to come out of the group as at least the runner up.

http://www.tecmoplayers.com/?page_id=21&player=2744

He's 8-8 vs louis for example in original rom style games. 

http://www.tecmoplayers.com/?page_id=159&player=2744&opponent=2153

He also won the CLE vs CLE tourney in Sept. 

http://www.tecmoplayers.com/?page_id=74&tid=19

Correct, Bruddog. The Gio in my group is Nickstro15 on AIM and he's an active online player who is very good. JoeyGats can confirm that as well.

I didn't even know that ChiefsJr went by Gio.

Factoid from tecmo X

Average power rating of chet and regulator = 29.0 

Average power rating of known online player first time in madison: 5.8

Average power rating of unknown player first time in madison:    -13.5  

(BUT there were a number of first time unknown guys that played just as well or better than the first time online guys. You could be the hidden gem!!)

However no  first time Madison players made it to the round of 16....

For those who may have missed it in their email, attached is a Madison Madness FAQ and a blank "bracket." The basics are these: If you want to participate in this March Madness spin-off, it's $10 payable on tournament day, but your "bracket" is due no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 6th. Good luck. 

Do you have to be present to win/play?

Factoid from tecmo X

(BUT there were a number of first time unknown guys that played just as well or better than the first time online guys. You could be the hidden gem!!)

Factoid from tecmo X

your point is fair. But a lot of 1st time live guys are probably not experienced tecmoers. So little unfair to compare a guy who is playing 4 the first 4 nostalgic purposes to a experienced online player.

My point was really just to point out how hard it is in general.  But likely even harder if you're coming in with no online play. Which goes back to Ryan Krebs @Hoigaard2 great post 

My guesstimate of the average "favored" player  win rate by round

RD 64 68%

RD 32 60%

RD 16 55%

RD 8   50% 

Most favorites not named Chet will have slightly less than a coin flips chance of making it to the sweet 16. May the tecmo gods be on your side. You gotta be good and a  little lucky.

Correct, Bruddog. The Gio in my group is Nickstro15 on AIM and he's an active online player who is very good. JoeyGats can confirm that as well.

I didn't even know that ChiefsJr went by Gio.

Damn these people with the similar names!  ;-) 

We expect to have to shuffle one or two #2/#3 seeds between now and tourney day, so we'll add this to our list for consideration. No promises, though. In general, it's impossible to perfectly distribute the talent across 32 groups, especially with as many unknowns as we have, but we try our best.

Who is this imposter Gio?

Josh I met you in Green Bay when you were talking to Coconuts and I begged you for a 2 seed. Then about a half hour and 5 turnovers later I lost to a guy that actually asked me how to get into the offensive starters screen so I went back up to you and retracted my request. After the Tecmo Gods gifted me a 14-7 lead vs Rico that I managed to blow, I went home and cried until I fell asleep.

That's the story of this Gio so I'm not sure if another Gio is out there that would want to admit to that shame.

Who is this imposter Gio?

Josh I met you in Green Bay when you were talking to Coconuts and I begged you for a 2 seed. Then about a half hour and 5 turnovers later I lost to a guy that actually asked me how to get into the offensive starters screen so I went back up to you and retracted my request. After the Tecmo Gods gifted me a 14-7 lead vs Rico that I managed to blow, I went home and cried until I fell asleep.

That's the story of this Gio so I'm not sure if another Gio is out there that would want to admit to that shame.

It's all coming back to me now...

Damn these people with the similar names!  ;-)

We expect to have to shuffle one or two #2/#3 seeds between now and tourney day, so we'll add this to our list for consideration. No promises, though. In general, it's impossible to perfectly distribute the talent across 32 groups, especially with as many unknowns as we have, but we try our best.

I can only begin to understand the logistical challenge that you guys take on each year when you're pulling the groups together for a tournament of over 250 players. Just incredible work, and it's safe to say that it is very much appreciated by everyone who participates.

Actually, this is still the only tourney I've participated in that actually takes friends and family into consideration. It seems like every tournament I've been to with my brother, we end up in the same bracket or have to play each other early on. So thank you for your efforts with that as well.

I can only begin to understand the logistical challenge that you guys take on each year when you're pulling the groups together for a tournament of over 250 players. Just incredible work, and it's safe to say that it is very much appreciated by everyone who participates.

Actually, this is still the only tourney I've participated in that actually takes friends and family into consideration. It seems like every tournament I've been to with my brother, we end up in the same bracket or have to play each other early on. So thank you for your efforts with that as well.

We have also taken into consideration the friends/family aspect for Tundra Bowl, but we only had 49 people to try and orchestrate that with, not 250+. Of course though, Madison does it right, and it's always the measuring stick for any TSB tourney. Everyone appreciates the effort that goes into it, especially those that have run their own tournaments. There is an incredible amount of work that goes into even the smaller tourneys, and there is nothing but respect for those that can do it successfully. 

We have also taken into consideration the friends/family aspect for Tundra Bowl, but we only had 49 people to try and orchestrate that with, not 250+. Of course though, Madison does it right, and it's always the measuring stick for any TSB tourney. Everyone appreciates the effort that goes into it, especially those that have run their own tournaments. There is an incredible amount of work that goes into even the smaller tourneys, and there is nothing but respect for those that can do it successfully. 

Yeah I always try to do that too but with 40-50 it's pretty easy to keep track of and I only get a couple requests for that each year. Like I know 8-bit, Adversity and Gridiron typically don't want to be playing each other right away.

Is Regulator NOT participating in Tecmo XI ?  Maybe I missed that on the forum.
Don't see him/Kyle registered on the Tecmo Madison site.

I'm attending because I was told the BEST of the BEST was going to be there.

Now its like going to a golf major without Tiger Woods playing.

DISCLAIMER

(correlation between Regulator and Woods is an insult to Regulator..... just an analogy folks)

Yeah, I don't believe it was brought up here at all, but those in the know, know.  Also, Chris Vogt recently posted it within his predictions on his tourney site.  VN work btw Chris!

http://mwtecmo.com/tecmo-xi-expected-to-provide-another-8-bit-bloodbath/#!lightbox[roadtrip]/1/

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Sorry if this was already covered, but will you guys be streaming the tourney on twitch this year?  If so what twitch channel or url?

I'm getting into the tecmo scene and want a good idea what to expect when I start to attend tourneys.  I won't be at Tecmo Madison this year but maybe next time so good luck to you all