Madison, WI - 03/07/15 - Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now

sonofpatbeach

David, this being my first experience with the game stream proper, I have to say it's top-notch quality featuring some luscious faces to look at in regards to Mr. Bailey & Mr. Knobbe. I always wondered what it was like on the other side of the screen, and it's far superior to some professional streams I've seen out there. And I'm not just saying that out of guilt for the time you drove me to and fro the Badger Bowl looking for my wallet that was on my hotel bed the whole time.

First off, I want to say a special thank you to Chet, Josh, Tony, Bailey, and everyone else who contributes to the running of this tournament. Yes, including you, Dave. The excellent work you do streaming is awesome and much appreciated. This time of year is like Christmas to some of us, and I realize it gets harder, and I thank you all. Congrats again to Derek on a well-played game.

This tournament was nuts. The most important thing to me was I got to spend time with a lot of people that I've come to know online and through tournaments - doing good is just a bonus. Manyo, all 4 Vogts, Derek, Diaz, Ones, Grip, Isaac(disasta) Mort, Lou, Gats, Brud, SirTed, Stewart, the Madison crew(all of em), Dave F'n Murray(!), Odell, Toolie, the list goes on and on, and I apologize if I didn't say your name, the list is just endless. 

Some of my highlights:

- Seeing my close friend make his first trip to Madison after only having played me pretty much exclusively for 2 months winning 3 games and making it to the losers final in his group, going 3-2 on the day. Congrats dude!

- The Elite 8. All of it. Just Tecmo at its finest. The atmosphere just cannot be topped.

- The final game. Congrats again to Derek! The most fun I've had in a long time - Ohio crew, you know who you are. Thanks.

- Plaza.

- Perkins.

- Friday night Tecmo, both at the hotel, and the BB.

- Watching MattyV chug a bottle I gave him that had Everclear in it Friday night without his knowledge(Let me tell you what's in it next time before you drink it :) )

- Meeting everyone that I possibly could. 

My one lowlight:

- Down 10-7 mid 3rd in my 2nd group game, I select FG instead of punt from my own 10.(Probably due to the habit of scrolling past Playbook online to Change, no playbook hack on console...) Down 10 after the quick TD, I manage to take the lead late via 2 TDs sandwiched around a safety. A JJ to Sterling and a run 3 is stuffed by drones at the gun. Never doing that again. 

Once again, this tournament wouldn't be what it is without the Madison crew, Dave, and everyone else who helps behind the scenes. I thank you very much, and hope there will be a TecmoXII.

Edited by coconuts0622

This was my first Madison trip and it was a great experience.  I didn't really get a chance to meet a lot of people, but those I did were helpful. My first game was closer than I thought and then I had a bye, so it was awhile until my next game.  Left 0-2 but enjoyed the tournament. 

Edited by TKrex23

Watching MattyV chug a bottle I gave him that had Everclear in it Friday night without his knowledge(Let me tell you what's in it next time before you drink it

Now I get it. SMH. I didn't know about this shenanigans. I'll post my thoughts and thank yous and congratulatory praises soon.

I had a great time at Madison this year. Thanks to everyone who put it on. I played horrible though. I went 0-2. I was the 7 seed and playing the last game in my bracket gave me plenty of time to finish off 5 Bud Light tall boys before my first game. Needless to say I was feeling pretty decent by the time I played. My only beef was the fact that I broke the seal way to early and my t.v. was in the corner. Trying to get to the bathroom made it feel like I was a contestant on American Gladiators trying to work my way through the gauntlet.

Now I get it. SMH. I didn't know about this shenanigans. I'll post my thoughts and thank yous and congratulatory praises soon.

I said here try this, and before I could utter another word, he was drinking lol. - it was an apple cider/juice/everclear concoction that's served in bars around here. Not really that strong.

Also I wanted to run a quick thought by people. I'm a big fan of playing more games. I know with the number of people that attend Madison this makes this very hard. Has Madison ever considered doing a 3 game guarantee? They could use the same format as they are doing now. You have your 4 regions. Take your 8 groups per region with 8 players in each of them. Instead of having seeds 1-8 you have seeds 1-4. That would mean you would have 2 of each seed in each group. Separate the group into 2 halves by putting a 1,2,3 and 4 on each side. Then conduct a round robin which would consist of 3 games for everyone and allow the winner to advance to the round of 64. This method ensures that 2 people from each group make the round of 64. It is also only 12 games played on each console instead of 13 like the format it has now. Plus only .375% of the 8 man group will play over 3 games so why not change it up to allow everyone the opportunity to get that 3rd game. I know some people come from far away to play and figured why not throw out another option just to see what people thought. 

Tecmo XI!

Here is my highlight reel:

1. Beef Juice getting trolled by the jukebox

I left the Plaza before this happened. Did "Angel" play 5 times in a row, as Beef Juice planned?

We then continued on playing and the final play of this game was epic. does any1 have a recording of this game?????????????????????????????????????????????????? the qb mitchell to wr clayton JJ at the 5 and then the double juke.

My apologies on going  bananas after that play, the atmosphere, the noise, the shit talking going on behind me about my hand, the best juke I probably ever had for a win, the JJ loss 2 games prior to vikingmoe(good dude), combination of all that ='s bananas

That was one of the craziest moments in our tournament's history. Right up there with Gauthier shutting off the NES while his game-winning FG was in the air in Tecmo VI. After you called your play, and I was thinking about which play to call, enough people were screaming and jumping up and down to cause the ground to rumble beneath us (as the guy behind me pointed out). I made the mistake of waiting to see what my drone would do after the catch, and you put a sick juke on me to clinch it. My only problem with that play is that Jim Jensen wasn't involved.

Also I wanted to run a quick thought by people. I'm a big fan of playing more games. I know with the number of people that attend Madison this makes this very hard. Has Madison ever considered doing a 3 game guarantee? They could use the same format as they are doing now. You have your 4 regions. Take your 8 groups per region with 8 players in each of them. Instead of having seeds 1-8 you have seeds 1-4. That would mean you would have 2 of each seed in each group. Separate the group into 2 halves by putting a 1,2,3 and 4 on each side. Then conduct a round robin which would consist of 3 games for everyone and allow the winner to advance to the round of 64. This method ensures that 2 people from each group make the round of 64. It is also only 12 games played on each console instead of 13 like the format it has now. Plus only .375% of the 8 man group will play over 3 games so why not change it up to allow everyone the opportunity to get that 3rd game. I know some people come from far away to play and figured why not throw out another option just to see what people thought. 

We had a 3-game guarantee for 6 years, actually. We're aware of that option and have considered it the last few years. Don't have the energy to get into the details here.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Thanks to everyone that is involved with putting this tournament on!! I can't imagine how much effort is put into this. I had a blast and almost made the 64 this year. I had 2 shots and couldn't quite get over the hump. With more practice and man v man experience hopefully I can make it through.

I was able to get a couple of quick chats with TP and gratz and hope to see at Tecmo Indy if I can make it.

Nope. Once, and then we heard a long, long string of Britney Spears. Jukebox 1 - Beef Juice 0

Also most modern jukeboxes won't let you play the same song multiple times in a row.

Here is the broadcast in its entirety. It starts out a little rough. Thanks Orenga Posse!

>http://www.twitch.tv/tecmobowl/c/6298622

I need some help identifying games. Any takers?

All I need it a timestamp and matchup. Example:

Start: 00:00

End: 01:05:30

Broconuts MIA

Ruble PIT

Lastly, I recorded the group play games. When I get time I'll sift through it and post those games. The best one I remember was a Bruddog vs Hake matchup.

If anyone was tweeting a bunch from Tecmo Madison and not hashtagging or has some video/instagrram stuff, either post here or send my way. I've got a fairly comprehensive social media document put together in storify much like I did with my own tourney. 

So got a chance to watch the rebroadcast of the live stream yesterday evening. Pretty awesome work!

Super fun to here the commentary during my game with Daboy. It almost sounded like you guys were as frustrated as I was about how well the TB O-line was holding up...

very odd indeed. min front 7 should of been able to make that a blood bath

very odd indeed. min front 7 should of been able to make that a blood bath

Kamp and I were discussing this very thing on the stream.  I don't recall Millard ever getting in there?  And when Doleman or Noga would break through it seemed like Cobb was always waiting for them or Vinny just ran away with ease.  Most times it seemed nobody broke through at all, with the math below courtesy of Bruddog:

COM v COM:

25 HP differential 

66% chance to popcorn- (Then there is a chance for the type of popcorn) 

66% chance the players busts in without falling down

33% chance he popcorns the player but falls down

33% chance to do a normal grapple. 

50 HP differential

80% chance to popcorn

80% chance player busts in without falling down

20%chance he popcorns the player but falls down

20% chance of normal grapple 

PS - Also Knobbe/Bailey you can't fumble an onside kick either.  Not to nit-pick, but it's you two so I will.   ;)

Edited by moulds33

So got a chance to watch the rebroadcast of the live stream yesterday evening. Pretty awesome work!

Super fun to here the commentary during my game with Daboy. It almost sounded like you guys were as frustrated as I was about how well the TB O-line was holding up...

Even daboy was amazed at how well the Tampa O-Line was holding up.

PS - Also Knobbe/Bailey you can't fumble an onside kick either.  Not to nit-pick, but it's you two so I will.   ;)

Just remember two things moulds: like I said, we're dumb and no sex in June.  :razz:

Well taking a look at the specific matchups I can see why it can hold up now. Only doleman should be busting in on a consistent basis. 

LT  paul GRUBER  Face=0x1c  #74 25 69 25 50
ROLB  m. MERRIWEATHE  Face=0xab  #57 31 44 50 56

1 notch = normal grapple

LG  carl BAX  Face=0xc  #75 25 69 25 38
RE  chris DOLEMAN  Face=0x94  #56 31 44 50 69

>25 <50= 66% popcorn 33% normal 

C  randy GRIMES  Face=0x48  #60 25 69 38 31
NT  henry THOMAS  Face=0xb9  #97 25 38 44 50

<25= normal grapple

RG  ian BECKLES  Face=0xaf  #62 25 69 25 44
LE  al NOGA  Face=0x31  #99 25 31 38 50

1 notch = normal grapple