Madison, WI - 03/07/15 - Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now

sonofpatbeach

I'm staying at Clarion now with Sega. That's easily the most walkable place from Badger Bowl.

I'm not positive what the ratios are of who is staying where....I think that's part of the problem.  Luckily we have a guy with us that doesn't drink so we have a DD.   I think we'll probably just stay east and if things develop we'll travel to other hotels if needed...

Edited by Nickabc

I'm not positive what the ratios are of who is staying where....I think that's part of the problem.  Luckily we have a guy with us that doesn't drink so we have a DD.   I think we'll probably just stay east and if things develop we'll travel to other hotels if needed...

That's fine. I'm just concerned about being stranded somewhere without a way to get back. I'll play some Street Tecmo at Badger Bowl for sure and then probably take bets with strangers on whether or not Sega can jump up and touch objects at seemingly unreachable heights.

Having a bit of an issue with the company that makes our ceremonial coin toss chips. It's about 50/50 that we have them for Saturday. The design this year is pretty slick, so I hope we have them for you. Apparently custom chip manufacturing is booming these days...

Having a bit of an issue with the company that makes our ceremonial coin toss chips. It's about 50/50 that we have them for Saturday. The design this year is pretty slick, so I hope we have them for you. Apparently custom chip manufacturing is booming these days...

Do those mutha phuckas know who they're dealing with?!?!

Since I can't make it this year, and won't be able to exhibit another shirt, I made one that I will donate to the winner...... unles it's Chet.

http://www.customink.com/designs/tecmoxi/gmj0-003z-6ecy/hotlink?pc=HL-76684&cm_mmc=hotlink-_-4-_-Body_txt-_-link1

f23228f946.png

Edited by davefmurray

I'm Hoigaard's brother. Last year was my first and he gave me basically that exact same advice for rookies. I already knew I had no shot at winning (but hey, I can dream, can't I?).

This is what I took from my rookie experience:

-The people. Seriously, this is the best part. I met so many "legends" of Tecmo players it was amazing. I chatted with Owen Good a bit, which was phenomenal. Guys in my pool were in their 40s, others 30s and yet some of us were in our 20s. It's a great collection of guys who literally grew up playing 8-bit video games. The nostalgia is perfect.

-The top 20-30 are THE best. I was just a few TVs over from Regulator during pool play, and prayed to all holy hell that I wouldn't have to play him (I didn't, thank god). Regulator would have beaten me by about 7 TDs, give or take a FG. Watching the bracket, double-elim and all the way to the finals it was so obvious I was a Single-A/Double-A level player that got a cup of coffee in the bigs for a day. I felt so out of place yet so elated.

-What the Tecmo Gods giveth, they taketh away. Also, you clearly won't win many games - but even though you know you won't go very far, you still should try to win every game. I went 3-2 with both losses coming to Gridiron. In fact, that second loss was to move out of pool play and the Tecmo Gods gave me near instant karma. Gridiron blocked a pass of mine in to my own endzone, but randomly one of his defenders recovered the ball for a TD. I eventually lost by 7. Then again, in the game prior, the Tecmo Gods did me a solid as I caught a Hail Mary in the endzone as time expired to win. That Gridiron game was my "Super Bowl" as Ryan put it so eloquently. My ultimate goal was to do better than Ryan on the day (3-2 to 2-2), though neither of us made it out of pool play. I wanted so badly to move on, but it wasn't destined to be.

-Know your strategies going in. Know your plays. Know the matchups you are comfortable with. I struck gold and got to pick the matchups in I think like 4 of my 5 games -- and to make it even better, I was the left-to-right player in each matchup. That played to my lack of skill set which eventually led to 3 Ws. My first loss to Gridiron I picked Chicago/KC because I repeatedly saw that matchup on other screens. And that was a bad move by me because I have not conquered the nuances of Chicago and got steamrolled. This entire point matches the previous one - play to win. You will not win them all, but god almighty, give yourself a fighting chance.

-Beer is delicious and plentiful. And unless you are that dude from Beer Fest who can only shoot quarters when drunk out of his mind, chances are the more inebriated you are, the quicker you'll get Tomczaked. My advice is to enjoy the suds in the early rounds, but keep yourself under control. When you're watching the final 64 with Ryan, myself and nearly 200 others - then you can guzzle down that sweet delicious amber elixir.

-Be prepared not to eat. Yes, Badger Bowl has good food, but there is a good chance you will be too in-tuned to the games going on in pool play (or urinating out your early beers) that you won't get a chance to eat until you realize it's 9 p.m. and Chet is closing in on another title. I come prepared - I bring a bucket of pretzel rods. Feel free to ask to have one - I love to share. Because when it comes down to it, playing Tecmo as a kid with your siblings or neighbors meant pretzels and Tang. As a teen, playing Tecmo with friends meant pretzels and Mt. Dew. In college, Tecmo was beer and pretzels (because by then, those are the only two things poor college kids can afford). Tecmo is pretzels. Pretzels are Tecmo. I may bring two bins this year. 

I'm looking forward to my second tournament - and have been since I drove out of the parking lot one full year ago. It was a blast. One week..............

Im pulling a laztlain move...oh tecmo gods giveth red98sethuthut my share of jjs and ccs. Oh tecmo gods lets my opponents fumble more than me. Oh lou stay sober. Oh lou win the last game of the tournament vs mort. Oh i love just to compete and have fun. Gl everyone. Ps ive been chanting this shit 4 hours

Edited by red98sethuthut

Hoigaard's Potential Matchups in Pool Play That Stand Out:

-Troy H vs David T, Group 8 - I'm familiar with both of these guys. I've played Troy a couple times and his Madison history speaks for itself. He's a top-tier player and Bruddog's Power Rankings help prove that. I've seen DT play in a few tournaments here on the East Coast and the guy can P.L.A.Y. Both guys have the legit skillset to crack the Elite 8. Tough draw to see them together here. Whoever comes out as the #2 in this group is going to give a group winner some nightmares in the round of 64.

-Joey V vs Lou B, Group 19 - Two guys with household names for brothers, each battling to stake a claim as the Alpha Dog in their family. Very fun matchup on paper. The cheering sections could be crazy with the Vogts in tow and just having Mort there watching will bring out the paparazzi.

-Chris V vs Dave N, Group 4 - Chris knocked me out of Tecmo IX. Dave knocked me out of Tecmo X. I hope they both lose this game. (Kidding. I'd like to watch this game and cheer for both guys in what I hope would be a real good game)

-Eric O vs Jon B, Group 20 - Holy shit.

-Derek R vs Kevin M, Group 23 - Holy shit x 2.

-Derek R vs Kevin M, Group 23 - So crazy I had to list it twice. Holy Shit x 4.

-Mort vs Joey S vs Matt T vs Scott S, Group 26 - This might be, if my lazy research is correct, the only group in the field that has 4 players with +.500 records in Madison play. You have to assume Mort manages to get through (but it may not be easy) and then there's only room for one other guy who has already had success in this tourney. Very interesting group on paper.

I'm feeling super lazy sitting in this Masters class right now, in case this has been answered - when do we find out if we're a #1 or #2 seed (or unranked) in our group?

We don't officially publish that information, though your placement in your group play bracket will be a pretty good indicator.

Hoigaard's Potential Matchups in Pool Play That Stand Out:

-Troy H vs David T, Group 8 - I'm familiar with both of these guys. I've played Troy a couple times and his Madison history speaks for itself. He's a top-tier player and Bruddog's Power Rankings help prove that. I've seen DT play in a few tournaments here on the East Coast and the guy can P.L.A.Y. Both guys have the legit skillset to crack the Elite 8. Tough draw to see them together here. Whoever comes out as the #2 in this group is going to give a group winner some nightmares in the round of 64.

-Joey V vs Lou B, Group 19 - Two guys with household names for brothers, each battling to stake a claim as the Alpha Dog in their family. Very fun matchup on paper. The cheering sections could be crazy with the Vogts in tow and just having Mort there watching will bring out the paparazzi.

-Chris V vs Dave N, Group 4 - Chris knocked me out of Tecmo IX. Dave knocked me out of Tecmo X. I hope they both lose this game. (Kidding. I'd like to watch this game and cheer for both guys in what I hope would be a real good game)

-Eric O vs Jon B, Group 20 - Holy shit.

-Derek R vs Kevin M, Group 23 - Holy shit x 2.

-Derek R vs Kevin M, Group 23 - So crazy I had to list it twice. Holy Shit x 4.

-Mort vs Joey S vs Matt T vs Scott S, Group 26 - This might be, if my lazy research is correct, the only group in the field that has 4 players with +.500 records in Madison play. You have to assume Mort manages to get through (but it may not be easy) and then there's only room for one other guy who has already had success in this tourney. Very interesting group on paper.

You forgot an even bigger holy shit in Group 23.

Jake I. vs Nick S.

This is gonna be the Frazier-Ali of Tecmo!