Lincoln, NE - 1/10/2015 - Tecmo Lincoln V

Knobbe

If you can be there between the hours of 11:45 am and 2 you can be my "we have a odd number of players and we need someone to play 3 games" guy.

Just give me a heads up when you get there...I'll be wearing a Rod Woodson Jersey and Husker Scarf

I should be able to stay until about 3:30 at the latest, so I can help out and lose a couple games. :P

Thanks, guys.  I will post my actual write-up later tonight after the Tecmo Radio show.  

Knobbe - either post or email some pics from the tourney, please - at least that final pic you took at the end of the tournament!

Edited by buck

Thanks, guys.  I will post my actual write-up later tonight after the Tecmo Radio show.  

Knobbe - either post or email some pics from the tourney, please - at least that final pic you took at the end of the tournament!

We're looking at a Monday posting from me.

First of all, huge thanks to Knobbe for putting this tournament on - and his hard work and the logistics and cathode ray tubes and NES's and everything that goes into putting one of these on.  Guys, like Matt, derserve a lot of credit and respect for doing these tournaments.

2nd, thanks to all of the guys and TSB players that I met and talked with at the event.  I had a pleasant time visiting with all of you.  

BEND, BUT DON'T BREAK.  

I had not played a TSB game on the console since last year's Lincoln tourney, where I got 4th place.  In that tourney, I pussed out to those loud-mouthed bastards from Wisconsin.  But, I learned a lot from that experience.  

Late last week, I hooked my NES up and played like 4 games against my wife (I had her be the 49ers every game).  Not much, but it was enough to get back in the saddle.  To me, video games and TSB are like "riding a bike".  Once you got it, you got it.  

Anyways, up until Friday morning, I was gonna back out of going to the tournament - because, frankly, I did't want to make the 4-hour drive by myself...

However, Friday morning as I was in the shower, I felt a spark inside me - and my heart told me that I HAD TO GO and "put my money where my mouth is" and to support Mr. Knobbe's continual TSB efforts.

So, I got there Friday night - I helped Knobbe, Moulds, and Tick set tables and TVs up.  

Some dudes from Iowa showed up.  We started drinking beers and I got two games in.

Some vampire-techno "DJ" had us kicked out of the venue Friday night, so we took the party to the hotel-motel-Holiday Inn.  So I got two more games in there.  

Then the two Iowa dudes and I walked the freezing, midnight streets of Lincoln and found a KICK-ASS "Toppers" pizza.  Nice call, Andrew - "uh, yeah, we want a Big-Ass Pizza, with everything on it."

I slept (very shittily slept and very dehydrated) until almost 10am...I woke up embarrassed by my drunken foul-mouthiness from the night before -so I resolved that I would "watch my mouth" this day.  I think I let out two or three cuss words.  I only remember letting out one loud-F*CK during a game, but who knows.  

Saturday, 11 am:  I drive my 2005 Honda Civic to the nearest parking garage and go to open my trunk (containing 10 basketballs, because I coach a basketball team) so that I can throw my laptop and stuff back there.  Some shit breaks and my trunk won't close and my fuel door won't open.  I panic.  I drive all over downtown, find an O'reily's and buy a flat-head screwdriver.  I was able to pop the fuel door open, so I figure I can piss around with the trunk later on.

So, I call Matt and tell him I'm gonna be a little late, but I got there right about 11:45.

Pool Play (3-0):

First guy calls GB-CLE, I take GB.  I win 14-10

2nd guy, I call RAMS-SD, he takes SD, I win 14-10

3rd guy, I call ATL-JETS, he takes JETS, I think I won 21-7.

All of these guys are pretty good and definitely weren't rookies or bums.  But, I was playing kind of jittery and poorly and this led me to start playing very conservatively on defense but very boldly on offense in the actual tournament.

I am 8th seed...

R1

I call TB-WAS, he takes WAS, I shredded like 28-0.

R2 (sweet-16)

I meet up with bad comrade Craig, from Lincoln. I have a lot of respect for this guy and I hated to meet him so soon.

Anyways, I call PHI-RAI, he takes RAI, Sherman runs for 100+, QB E runs for 100+. I thrash him 28-7.

R3 (elite-8 )

I am now up against #1 seed plyer.  And let me say, besides yours' truly (lol), this guy had the best "running skills" I have ever played.  This guy knew all the angles/cuts and it was quite a challenge containing him.

He calls MIN-SD, I take PLAYER 1.  He takes SD.

A tough game, Browner had a couple of INTs, BJ screwed him a couple of times.  I think I won 21-10. (I blocked a FG in this game and recovered a red-zone fumble of his).

R4 (semi-final)

I call DEN-SD, he takes SD.  

Elway had an awesome game.  I had to really grind this one out scrambling and dinking passes, because he contained Hump for the most part, except on a big 3rd and 24 on a drive I ended up scoring on.  I also converted a 4th down on a drive I scored on.  But, I contained Butts and BJ.  

I think I won 28-10 or something like that, but I was kind of sand-bagging in the 2nd half, just killing time.  I did score on the last play of the game, only because he rushed me and I had a guy open (I was in the red zone).

FINAL GAME

I finally get to play Cool-Hand Luke (artvandelay). Behind me, I hear some loud-mouthed bag say how he has Luke "by 3".  I know I was not favored to win, but that didn't bother me, in fact, it made me even more relaxed. 

He calls ATL-JETS, I take PLAYER 1.  He takes JETS.

A real defensive battle, I think the game is 10-7 at halftime (might have been 10-0?).  Deion had a 1st-half INT, Rozier caught my TD pass.  I kicked the FG at the end of the half.

I let him grind it out, bending but not breaking, letting Deion repeatedly "do his thang".  In the end, you just cannot count on O'Brien.

I win 13-7, killing clock and frustrating his offense.

Good Game, Luke.  This was by far the toughest game I've probably ever played.  Even though I was winning - at any moment, I knew that he would take advantage of any opportunity.  The ATL came through for me.

I grab my bad-ass trophy (it is HEAVY, filled with sand), blindly accept and pocket a wad of cash from Knobbe, and I head back to O'Reily's to buy a bag of assorted Chinese bungee cords to hold my trunk closed for the ride home.

It feels real good.  I do not believe that anyone scored over 10 points against me (correct me, if I'm wrong) in any game - I played 9 games (one exhibition) - that day.

I have been so close in a few tournaments before and have always been pretty good at TSB, so I am not surprised by the outcome... 

But, as any TSB vet will tell you, to win it all you have to get some "help" along the way.  If there is a Tecmo God (or more) out there, they were on my side.  

As mentioned in a previous pre-tournament post - I also was very conscious of my body chemistry: having hurt myself in previous tournaments by crashing/peaking too soon.  I started with a beer, followed by a shot of Jameson on ice, followed by a hamburger and water right before the "actual tournament" started.  Then, I had a coca-cola for the sweet-16 & elite-8 games. Then I had a beer for the semi-final, and finally a water for the final game.  

Yours,

Chris (buck), from Kansas.

Buck:  Was fun partying up on our room.  i've got a pic someplace I need to post.  Heck of a nice guy.  I think Moulds was up there too, and some dude that was a ND fan.   

Knobbe:  As always, thanks for the tourney, it's always fun.

Andrews call for the big ass pizza was tremendous

Edited by Nickabc

Like any Tecmo tourney, this is always a test of time and motivation.  Having the tourney in early January allows me to get the place at Barrys for $0 but trying to plan something between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a major boner killer.

Thanks to the Nebraska guys, especially Moulds for helping out with a lot of the equipment, Luke for providing the trophy, and just for showing up as a tourney with no one there would pretty much suck. Typically I'll have some guys say some unprompted nice stuff throughout the day and that really helps with the motivation level as well.

There are some upsides to not hosting 60+ people....the logistics aren't as complicated.

However, I would like to host that type of tournament once.  Next year will be my attempt to do so.  If I announce the tourney in August/September, then you will know I'm serious.

Finally, we raised over $800 for the Husker Greats Foundation. It's a small local charity run by former Husker athletes and barely any of the money goes to overhead.  It also is what I consider to be Tecmo related.

• 3 weeks later...