COMPLETE! 2015 MvG Challenge OFFENSIVE BACKUPS - COMET BOWL (SEASON 28 OF 28)

MvG Sports

Hello Gentlemen,

I guess more or less being an attention whore, but for those that don't know, I've been doing Man v. Game challenges since 2010 where I pick 1 or more games to play/"challenge" throughout the entire calendar year.

***THE 2015 MvG CHALLENGE RESULTS***

TECMO SUPER BOWL (SNES) - PROJECT #6 AKA “COMET BOWL” - COMPLETE

SEASON 28.18: 484-36-1 TOTAL / 423-24-1 REGULAR SEASON / 61-12 PLAYOFFS / 16 of 28 SUPER CHAMPIONS

GOAL: PLAY A SEASON WITH ALL 28 TEAMS v. THEIR 1992 SCHEDULES, STARTING ALL OFFENSIVE BACKUPS (AND DB AT KR/PR) THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SEASON, WHILE WINNING AS MANY GAMES AND CHAMPIONSHIPS AS POSSIBLE.

TEAM TALLY:
1. Pittsburgh (15-1, 3-0) WON SB OVER DALLAS, 21-10
2. Los Angeles Raiders (15-0-1, 3-0) WON SB OVER NEW ORLEANS, 48-0
3. Los Angeles Rams (15-1, 1-1) LOST NFC TITLE GAME v. DALLAS, 11-22
4. Chicago (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER BUFFALO, 28-7
5. Washington (14-2, 2-1) LOST SB v. BUFFALO, 9-13
6. New England (14-2, 0-1) LOST IN ROUND 2 v. KANSAS CITY, 14-28
7. Dallas (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER BUFFALO, 28-14
8. Atlanta (16-0, 2-1) LOST SB v. HOUSTON, 14-31
9. Miami (14-2, 3-0) WON SB OVER DALLAS, 28-9
10. Cleveland (15-1, 3-0) WON SB OVER SAN FRANCISCO, 28-7
11. Seattle (13-3, 1-1) LOST AFC TITLE GAME v. HOUSTON, 23-30
12. Detroit (14-2, 1-1) LOST NFC TITLE GAME v. DALLAS, 20-21
13. San Francisco (15-1, 2-1) LOST SB v. HOUSTON, 14-24
14. New York Jets (16-0, 0-1) LOST IN ROUND 2 v. HOUSTON, 7-23
15. Minnesota (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER BUFFALO, 28-21
16. Houston (16-0, 1-1) LOST AFC TITLE GAME v. BUFFALO 28-42
17. Denver (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER DALLAS, 17-14 (OT)
18. Phoenix (12-4, 3-0) WON SB OVER MIAMI, 19-0
19. Cincinnati (14-2, 2-1) LOST SB v. DALLAS, 7-30
20. New Orleans (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER HOUSTON, 21-13
21. New York Giants (15-1, 3-0) WON SB OVER MIAMI, 38-0
22. Indianapolis (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER DALLAS, 28-27
23. Green Bay (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER HOUSTON, 21-17
24. San Diego (15-1, 0-1) LOST IN ROUND 2 v. BUFFALO, 13-43
25. Tampa Bay (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER BUFFALO, 34-7
26. Buffalo (16-0, 3-0) WON SB OVER DALLAS, 16-7
27. Philadelphia (15-1, 3-0) WON SB OVER MIAMI, 17-9
28. Kansas City (16-0, 1-1) LOST AFC TITLE GAME v. BUFFALO, 14-21

Previously, I've done 3 run-throughs with TSB...playing a season with every team on the NES version, twice, and playing a 1993 season with every team on this SNES version, once.

My idea (though not finalized) is to play a 1992 season with every team, starting all backups on offense, always.  I like to call this the COMET BOWL challenge since I would be jumbling my teams before I played with them.  Much like how I did with playing the entire 2013 season on Tecmo Super Bowl 2014, I most likely will actively post results and tidbits on this page, and it should provide good practice should I enter any tournaments next year, though I don't see anything beyond the Detroit area, and I'm not sure if O'Dell is running Kumite again or not.

Trevor

Edited by MvG Sports

• 4 weeks later...

This challenge will commence on 1-1-2015.

I will be using the DBs as the KR/PR for all teams (remember on this version there are only 3 players on the "return" team, one is always a DB from each team).  In case of injuries, I will substitute accordingly, and seek to get all offensive reserves back into the starting lineup asap, always.

This should also be somewhat good practice for Detroit Tecmo Kumite 3 on 1-24-15.  Ok that's it, take care.

This is live btw...currently 13-1 with Pittsburgh playing with all the offensive backups...lost to the fecking Seahawks of all teams 14-7 lol.  I will provide more in-depth scores/stats at season's end I think.  I'll link you to my facebook page as well as I tend to update the scores/results real time on there.  Happy New Year, gentlemen.

I added my results thus far...won the SB with Pittsburgh.  Is there anything else you guys would like to see regarding this?  I log all of my team's season stats.

If you want, you can like my Facebook page which is dedicated to my challenges and the other things I do on my website.  I really need to work on the MvG portion...when I get time I suppose lol.  Take care gents.

https://www.facebook.com/mvgsports

Season 2 is complete as Todd Marinovich led his Los Angeles Raiders to an unbeaten season and a world championship.  I have yet to log the stats (will do so momentarily) and am unsure of what team I will be next...I go one division at a time so it will either be from the AFC E, NFC E, NFC C, or NFC W.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm now in a season with Washington, and just found out why backup QB Chris Hakel sucks...A. He went to William and Mary...B. He never played an NFL game lol.  There must be something with guys with 10-letter names who never played in a/the league getting into video games...Rodney Dent was on the Orlando Magic in NBA Live 96, and never played a regular season game in the NBA.

10-1 I believe my record is....Hakel has 20+ INTs...again he's rather awful lol

Edited by MvG Sports

So I lost in round 2 of the playoffs with NE v. KC.  I was down 28-14 with about 1:30 left in the game...I blocked a punt, got the ball back inside the KC 10...and proceeded to throw my 3rd interception with Scott Secules (all to Dale Carter?) in the end zone which sealed the slight hope I had of winning.  Need to get off this losing shtick as I've not won the SB in 2 seasons.  Thinking of going with a heavy hitter like DAL, SF, BUF, GB, etc...however with backups, they will certainly be dumbed down somewhat.  I didn't necessarily expect to win the SB with NE, however that is no excuse as the goal is to go undefeated always.  I'll keep the few of you posted lol.

Finally back to my winning ways...a perfect 19-0 season by a Hugh Millen-led Dallas Cowboys team.  Hugh tossed 61 TD passes...Jimmy Smith caught 25 of them...Tyrone Williams caught 17?  Derrick Gainer ended up with 10 TDs and Emmitt Smith had a 100 yard rushing game in his stead, while injured.

Just finished up my ATL season...Bobby Hebert and Deion Sanders were injured for the Super Bowl v. Houston.  I took a 14-10 lead in the 3rd, then the wheels came off.  HOU had a very effective TD drive to make it 14-17.  They called my very next offensive play, the B and UP 5WR play...so I just tried to throw it away to my short back and Al Smith pick-sixed it, and that was essentially game...tough way to break a 37 game win streak...damn...onto the next one!

Well the Miami season is complete...after losing 2 games to start today, I won out, securing another Super Bowl win over Dallas.  Scott Mitchell finished the year with over 4000 yards passing and 53 TD passes.  Tony Martin went nuts...52 catches, 2555 yards, 35?TD.  Jarvis Williams had 6 picks.

Vinny Testaverde got injured in the AFC Title game v. Houston, bringing in the regular starter Bernie Kosar for the rest of that game and the SB.  Kosar ran for 90 yards in the SB v. SF and connected with Patrick Rowe for 150+ yards to secure a 3 TD victory over the 49ers...giving me my first back to back SB wins since PIT-RAI.  Testaverde did rack up 4000 yards and 50 TD passes in the regular season, while rushing for about 15 TDs as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I've only played 37 games since 3-29-15, thus the lack of updates.  Can't seem to break the Super Bowl-less snide that I'm on...3 in a row without one.  I was up 14-7 on Houston with SF in the 3rd...they scored a TD at the end of the third to knot it at 14.  Don Griffin fumbles the next kickoff, and Steve Bono loses another fumble in the 4th...the Oilers capitalized on both and I lost 24-14.  I also feel like my Detroit season came down to the last play, but sorrowfully we lost by 1 point to the Cowboys...oh the Lions lol.

Again the deadline for me to complete this thing is 12-31-15...I was thinking of doing a Comet Bowl with the original NES version this year too, but I would have a lot of catching up to do, thus it looks like another challenge for another year.  I have enough to worry about with this one anyway lol.

• 1 month later...

Well I've played 2 seasons since I last updated this...both undefeated reg seasons with NYJ and MIN, with very different playoff results...a RD 2 loss v. Houston for the Jets and a Super Bowl win over Buffalo for my Vikings.  It's been a bit of a tough go of it...Houston has been my nemesis in the playoffs.  Not sure who I'm going with next...maybe those very Oilers...alas...ON WE GO!

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on a 55 game regular season win streak, however another heartbreaking, underachieving loss in a conference title game.  My Houston Oilers went 16-0 in the RS (obviously) however it was snowing during my AFC Title game v. the Buffalo Bills (who didn't even win their division mind you), so it's nice to see that home field advantage isn't given in the game...not that it matters but still lol.  It was snowing inside the Astrodome.

I was able to knot the game at 28 in the 4th quarter, however Kenneth Davis busted a 50+ yard run up the middle to setup the TD that would make the game 28-35 with 1:07 to go.  So I get the ball...first short(er) pass...incomplete...53 seconds to go.  Next play, a shotgun where 2 guys go deep...looking for Cody Carlson to Gary Brown for the tie.  The snap...fight off Bruce Smith...fight off some other guy...hit "B" to pass...nothing...the fuck?...scramble and fight off Bruce Smith again...hit "B" to pass...nothing again...trying to battle out of another grapple, Carlson fumbles and I believe Bruce Smith runs it back for 6, and curtains.  SMH.  And onto the next one lol.