The OG ROM attribute discussion thread

Martin

Trying to bring the thread back on topic, sort of...

How about the Falcons? Were they really a Run-and-shoot team in 1990? Glanville kind of scrapped the Redgun offense and instead giving FB Jones and TE Wilkins more playing time, right?

I agree. My 1990 remix rom has Atlanta in a standard formation with Wilkins and Broussard starting.

They also really jacked up the Chargers, whose actual base offense was a 2TE/2RB. This must have really confused the programmers and sent them for a loop. Butts should have been a big HP back, and Bernstine and Harmon both should have been more legit. Also something called Craig McEwen could have been the 2nd TE.

Trying to bring the thread back on topic, sort of...

How about the Falcons? Were they really a Run-and-shoot team in 1990? Glanville kind of scrapped the Redgun offense and instead giving FB Jones and TE Wilkins more playing time, right?

I agree. My 1990 remix rom has Atlanta in a standard formation with Wilkins and Broussard starting.

They also really jacked up the Chargers, whose actual base offense was a 2TE/2RB. This must have really confused the programmers and sent them for a loop. Butts should have been a big HP back, and Bernstine and Harmon both should have been more legit. Also something called Craig McEwen could have been the 2nd TE.

They also really jacked up the Chargers, whose actual base offense was a 2TE/2RB.

I did a lot of reading about that a while ago.

At the start of the season Caravello was their starting H-back (with Bernstine as a back-up), but he got injured. By that time Bernstine had proven himself able to run, and had become the back-up to Butts. McEwen was their 3rd string H-back. Walter Wilson, incorrectly listed as a TE on Pro Football Reference, should have been sharing WR2 duties with Early and Lewis, instead of Wayne Walker (who was a Charger untill 1989).

So, the Charger offense should have looked something like this:

post-11341-0-16901400-1417897543_thumb.j

but with the formation graphics of a 3WR team, with Caravello lined up at the inside WR position.

What attributes did Butts deserve then? 44RS, 63MS, 88HP?

Maybe he deserved more HP, but he got way more than he deserved in MS. Obviously, it's MS that makes you a good RB in this game, and it's not reflective on how fast they really were.

Butts had his best year in 1990 (1200 yards, 8 TDs) which likely was what led to his ranking in the game. He is like the Wayne Haddix of RBs though, because he never had more than 1000 yards before or after 1990.

He was an above average power back, but nothing special like he is in Tecmo IMO.

A key example where MS reflects how good you are, and not how fast you really are...

Alexander Wright has 25 MS in Tecmo yet...

Wright was one of the fastest sprinters in the NFL, winning the NFL's "Fastest Man" competition in 1992 and 1993.[4] In May 1991 he was recorded to have run the 40 yard dash in 4.09 seconds

Ted..............................................................your full of $#!t  ;)   You know ALL my arguments are based offa stone cold hard facts!!!!!!!!!  If anybody wants to make a ROM with the PERFECT 1990 Dickerson stats, just give him attributes identical to Johnny Johnsons'.....They're the same typa tailback (6'3 225 ta 230 lbs) with the same typa running style, and they both played for pretty s#!tty teams most of their careers.......................................and hell, they both even whore the same cowboy collar neckrolls!!!  (and NO, I'm not just being a homer)  Johnson is the closest thing you'll get to Dickerson that year outta any back in the game.....

1990/91 Eric Dickerson with 50 MS and 38 receptions? I'd buy that.

Talking about Johnny Johnson and Eric Dickerson, how about Earnest Byner then? Pretty much the same attributes, 81BC and two notches less (25) HP (that's getting screwed by the way, for a guy who played H-back as well).

Any suggestions?

Byner and Emmitt Smith had the same running style and body type.....low runners with quick moves and power.

I agree with the similarities regarding their running...

But can you imagine the Cowboys going "maybe we should put another TE in, nah...let's just have Smith do the blocking"? Byner did that in Washington, more prominently in 1989, but some in 1990 too. Smith was given better HP than Byner. The better MS was deserved, but Byner should have been given more "power". The question is, how and how much?

Edit: I'm thinking Herschel Walker (63HP), but with 50MS (faster) and 38REC (not as good hands).

Edited by Martin

you better subtract a lot from MIN if you go giving that 800 yd Herschel Walker a 50 MS.  MIN becomes a 2nd tier team like that.  

in short, I do not agree that H Walker should be 50 MS.

To be PERFECTLY honest, I think Walker SHOULD have the 50 max speed...and if he doesn't, and stays at 44, his hitting power should be up around where Barry Words' is......Buck, you can't honestly tell me he doesn't deserve one of those no matter what his team is doin' around him.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjX9K0wD1tw

Edited by ~Tailback King~

I don't think they rated players on an island, like Madden or like you seem to want to do.  Players were rated sort of together as a team.  A good team is a good team, in general, unless there is a total superstar like Detroit.  this is a very important concept to understand,  (that and that MS is the most important rating that an offensive player can have.)

The 1990 Chicago Bears were first in their division and had one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL.  

The Vikings were last in this same division and had about a middle, at best, rushing attack.  

Third, A 56 MS RB with a 63 MS Rb doesn't really make much of a difference, because you're always gonna be using the 63 MS back,

Fourth, if you make Mr. "700-rushing-yards" Walker a 50 MS back, without changing the rest of the team (defense, WR, etc) you have made the Vikings significantly better than they should be.

5th, fuck herschel walker.

Edited by buck

Well the Vikings were closer to a 9 win team than a 6 win team based on their adjusted point differential, and per play stats. And the bears were closer to a 10 win team. You could give Hershel  50 ms and I'd be okay with that. If you're going solely on WINS then the vikings need to be nerfed as they are much better than a 6 win team on the OG rom. And lots of other teams would need major changes. 

Back to Herschel the  issue is really the coaching staff (apparently....because I don't know)  decided to limit his carries so in an injury hack world you could up his injury probability to make him more fragile. 

Now the vikings finished with a LOT of passing interceptions so maybe wilson gets knocked down a peg in pc to 38