Fargo, ND - 11/15/14 - Tecmo Ryder Cup

DrFrolf

As wtf as that photo is, I feel I have to come on here and show respect for how expertly and classy it was photographed. Subtle; it says so much with so little (clothing).

And respect also for the event as a whole. What a great night and great addition to Tecmo lore! Your hard work paid off, North Dakota! I'll be back to visit the Hall of Fame with my nephew, once he's old enough.

Below are the final results for the Tecmo Ryder Cup. However, just like any legendary event, the final outcome is only the final bullet point in a long list of events. 

Before the last session, the scores were as follows:

Team Madison: 9 2/3 points

Team ND: 8 1/6 points

Team World: 7 5/6 points

Team MN: 7 1/3 points

Fairly close between all teams, with Team World and Team MN within 1 win of 2nd place and Team ND within 1 win of the top spot. However, the final singles round was dominated by team Madison, resulting in the finals scores here:

Team Madison: 16 2/3 points

Team MN: 10 5/6 points

Team World: 9 5/6 points

Team ND: 8 2/3 points

Team Madison has regained the cup and has a target on their back once again. 

Retrospectives of this event are sure to happen. I will be posting videos on this site that were shown during the event as well as revealing one Tecmo trading card each day until the full set is revealed (51 days of card reveals). Get used to it.

Thanks to all that came to enjoy the event -- we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did! 

post-8376-0-40906000-1416189974_thumb.jp

I woke up at 7 a.m. and just wanted to get the drive back to Nebraska over with so I never got to thank the North Dakota crew for putting on a great show. You guys did an amazing job. The surprise video cameo's of Mort and Knobbe, the trading cards, the venues, the food, everything was top notch. I hope everyone's travels back home were a safe and painless one.

Much thanks again to the ND crew for a fantastic experience! Food, travel, lodging, cards, the North Dakota Hall of Fame - just everything was incredible! Also congrats to the victors once again. Thanks to my teammates Luke and Ryan for playing. We put on a good show until the gabage teams. Until next time..

Also- I got an update and possible points altering.. Got a message from one of the girls- they would've come but that was the one I didn't send the address to. Because my phone died of obvious ND treachery of excessively draining my battery's nuclear power cells, and therefore couldn't message back,would that at least garnish Team World an extra 1/2 point?

Thank you to the North Dakota crew, Butt Douglas, and my teammates Luke and Coconuts. That was a blast and the ND crew did a fantastic job hosting this year. The Wurst Bier Hall was a blast on Friday and I'm still farmer blowing that snuff out in the shower. Oh and just be glad it wasn't me in that photo or you'd all be blind.

My thoughts following a crazy, fun-filled weekend in North Dakota:

• The North Dakota crew did an excellent job hosting. Here's a snippet of what the competitors encountered:
    • The North Dakota Tecmo Hall of Fame. So much hilarious memorabilia therein. Only 1 person could touch the merchandise--"Do not touch the merchandise. You are not that important. Unless you are Mort. Are you Mort?";
    • The Tecmo Trading Cards may be the single-greatest Tecmo-related invention since Tecmo itself. There's a whole deck of Regulator, Mort, and all your favorite Tecmo legends;
    • Incorporation of those who couldn't attend. We had Mort's reading of Big Red's legendary post, the Godfather's coy narrative, and the Vogts wishing good luck to everyone in the final session;
    • A great dinner spread with sloppy jo's, pork, beans, desserts, everything a hungry Tecmoer could ask for;

• Dave Murray remotely purchasing 20 shots for all participants, before the opening session, was an act of true class. Thanks Dave;
  • Some great games all around. The Cup was decided in the final singles session, where Team Madison took 7 of 8 matches, thereby earning 7 full points and pulling away. Orenga finally had enough to drink such that he wasn't shitting himself with fear;
    • Maybe the North Dakota guys will get around to posting the individual game results;

• Listening to Sconnie rip Ed and crack jokes all day was a blast. From where he conceived the drunken Betty Crocker metaphor, I will never know: "I create offense where none exists. Like Betty Crocker, I mix the ingredients, throw them in the oven, and out pops a cake";
  • Hanging at the local Davenport bar afterwards was legendary. My face actually hurt on Sunday from perma-grin:
    • "I'm so horny now that we have the Cup";
    • "The good thing about this bar is there is no closing time. They serve until no one is willing to drink";
    • "I'll give you three Regulators for that Vogt card."

• Thanks again to everyone involved in hosting this grand event. The next Ryder Cup will likely move east and, hopefully, we can get even more teams. There's just nothing like the Ryder Cup and its unique team-based dynamic.    

Listening to Sconnie rip Ed and crack jokes all day was a blast. From where he conceived the drunken Betty Crocker metaphor, I will never know: "I create offense where none exists. Like Betty Crocker, I mix the ingredients, throw them in the oven, and out pops a cake";

Didn't help with your pal and MN team captain Bailey giving a few shots of his own everytime Sconnie did his usual ripping.  I'm used to Sconnie's typical banter but Bailey rubbed me the wrong way as I consider him nothing more than an acquaintance.

Other than that I had a great time, witnessed and recorded a few upsets on video, was great being able to watch the games, reminded me of early Tecmo Madison tourneys.  North Dakota knocked it out of the park with the setup and the venue, was well worth the drive despite Betty Crocker riding shotgun for 8+ hours.

What an amazing virtual tour! I can really get a feel of the history brimming from that place. If those exhibits could talk.... it'd probably be a lot of intelligible screaming and crying with some slurring and maybe a couple of pig squeals.

Madison is much more driveable for me. If the next Ryder Cup is there I will seriously try to pull together a Team Iowa for it.

According to the official Tecmo card on "The Cup," the fourth Ryder Cup will be held on the moon, so we should all start saving for gas money now.

Sconnie: hands off to you in that 49ers/Giants game. Not sure how much you remember, but that was a blast, particularly with your ongoing commentary re: Betty Crocker. That was the quote of the tourney. Some things never change in Tecmo, and one of them is that Sconnie owns Beach. Hopefully I can avenge the loss in a future Ryder Cup. 

Ed: I wish you would have recorded audio of the trip back to Minnesota. I'd pay to listen to that ;)

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Ed: I wish you would have recorded audio of the trip back to Minnesota. I'd pay to listen to that ;)

Me too. Next time, someone needs to bring a digital camcorder and just keep the thing recording indefinitely.

Edited by coconuts0622