Fargo, ND - 11/15/14 - Tecmo Ryder Cup

DrFrolf

For Friday night if you are really wanting to get by on the cheap, accommodations can be made available in Davenport. However, I would strongly suggest getting a hotel room in Fargo for Friday night. Davenport has little to offer the Tecmo tourist other than a post office and a bar. Fargo is a much more attractive option and the Ryder Cup hosts would be willing to paint the town red in anticipation of the events to come.

As for the night of the event (Saturday), a hotel room is not necessary and is advised against. I have 3 futon mattresses, 3 couches, 1 recliner, 2 blow up beds, 2 regular beds, 1 pull out couch, 1 RV with 3 beds and an amalgamation of sleeping bags and cots. You should bring blankets and pillows as necessary because I will not have enough, but there is more than enough room for everybody to sleep.

Best case scenario for general circumstances and travel:

• People stay in Fargo Friday Night
  • People either drive their cars out to Davenport Saturday Morning -or- people leave their car in Fargo and get picked up by me in a 15-passenger van on the way out to Davenport
  • We all travel together to and from the event locations in the van(s)
  • We play the final games in Davenport and party hard
  • Everyone stays in Davenport on Saturday
  • People either drive their cars back to their respective states -or- I drive them back to their cars in Fargo via 15-passenger van

Coconuts -- if you do fly and need some help with lodging or travel, just shoot me a text/email/PM

Edited by DrFrolf

Frolf's recommendations are exactly right. It really depends on what you want to do Friday, I guess, but I would strongly recommend staying in Fargo Friday night for the reasons previously stated. Davenport is about a twenty-minute drive in the insane North Dakota traffic, so making out there the next day on time will not be an issue.

If the Lodgefather shows up and fills out Team Greater Wisconsin/World, then we'd be locked and loaded with four teams.  Coconuts, I echo Frolf's invitation and can assist with lodging, airport pickup, etc. 

Even with the Lodgefather, I still think we're one short:

ND: the mount rushmore of Tecmo players

Madison: Chet, Josh, Garbagetsbplayer, Rikster

MN: Sconnie, Ed, Bailey, Butt Douglas

World: Luke, Coconuts, Lodgefather, ?

Did I miss someone on my head count?

Even with the Lodgefather, I still think we're one short:

ND: the mount rushmore of Tecmo players

Madison: Chet, Josh, Garbagetsbplayer, Rikster

MN: Sconnie, Ed, Bailey, Butt Douglas

World: Luke, Coconuts, Lodgefather, ?

Did I miss someone on my head count?

I wish i could come, but I'm a huge pansy.  I promise next year...no matter what.

Typical Nebraska hand wringing. Luke, You, Tick, and Knobbe would've been a great team up there. I guess some things are more important in Nebraska, like watching Bo Pelini lose to the Badgers again:

bo-pelini-cats.png

A few weeks back, we had planned for 6 or 7 guys from Madison/Milwaukee, so the plan was 2 cars. Now that the Milwaukee guys have dropped out, and the COD is doubtful, we've got 4 going in one medium-sized car. If the Child of Destiny chooses to fulfill his destiny as Tecmo Ryder Cup antihero, the car would be full up. If not, we could squeeze you in if you could get down to Madison, or meet us near Eau Claire off of 29/94. I can let you know on the COD by tomorrow if you want to hold off buying the flight.

OMG. This would be a godsend. I just got wind that my car will take more money than I can afford right now - so I'm about " Do I fix my car or go to Fargo?" Although it would suck if the COD missed his first Ryder Cup just to give me a spot in the vehicle.

OMG. This would be a godsend. I just got wind that my car will take more money than I can afford right now - so I'm about " Do I fix my car or go to Fargo?" Although it would suck if the COD missed his first Ryder Cup just to give me a spot in the vehicle.

Little Ducks, here is a copy of my speech that I gave to Team MN before the last Cup. Just replace Alabama with Minnesota, Go Bama with Rah Rah Rah, and Roll Tide with Ski-U-Mah 

(I think Hackman does it justice)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjRxdrg9BtU

Edited by qb_browns

Update on the C.O.D: he's very doubtful for this weekend. As in, we're basically his fall-back date for prom. Somewhere along the way, the man lost his path in the great Tecmo wilderness. For now, he roams alone. Perhaps one day he will join us again.

I don't believe so.  We can certainly give a recommendation, based on what you want.  What's most important to the group?

(1) Cost? Without posting up in a total dive.

(2) Proximity to I-94?

(3) Proximity to Friday night fun.? This would likely be downtown, if you're looking to go out.  Would need a cab from almost anywhere, unless you stayed downtown, so this may not be a great factor to consider.

I don't believe so.  We can certainly give a recommendation, based on what you want.  What's most important to the group?

(1) Cost? Without posting up in a total dive.

(2) Proximity to I-94?

(3) Proximity to Friday night fun.? This would likely be downtown, if you're looking to go out.  Would need a cab from almost anywhere, unless you stayed downtown, so this may not be a great factor to consider.

(1) I go with cost unless you can get us a deal at the dorms at Moo U

(2) Not a problem, most of us have GPS

(3) If you got to cab everywhere then this is negligible.

I think a really great hotel that is downtown and even with decent rates ($90 for 2 queens) is the Howard Johnson (hojo.com). Walking distance to all the downtown bars and not too far for the driver to go and pick people up in the morning. 

Candlewood Suites is right by the airport and has very nice $95 rooms available. It is about a $10 cab ride downtown (5-10 minutes).

The Red River Lodge and Suites is about $70, easy to get to off of I-94 and is a $10-15 cab ride downtown (10-15 minutes). There are a couple bars close by as well. Used to be a Red Roof Inn, a staple of any North Dakota traveling Tecmoer. Probably not as nice as the others, but average. Closest for the shuttle van in the morning as well.

I forgot all about the Hojo.  I have no idea what the rooms are like there, but it has to be cheap, and you're really close to good drinking spots.  Plus, it is a good pickup spot.  I'd second that recommendation.  Radisson is downtown too, but I'd save the cash if it were me.