Fargo, ND - 11/15/14 - Tecmo Ryder Cup

DrFrolf

post-8376-0-39260100-1414987584_thumb.jp

November 15, 2014

With summer giving way to Tecmo season, it's time to gather the best foursome you can Muster. November 15, 2014 is the date of the 2014 Tecmo Ryder Cup. Taking place in Fargo, ND and the surrounding area, you never know what's around the corner.

Many of you probably thought - and perhaps hoped - that our usurpation of the Ryder Cup hosting rights would be idle talk or more accurately, drunken banter.  But somehow, someway, we were given the rights to the Ryder Cup, and the plan is not to disappoint.  Light on boredom, but heavy on Butt Douglas (hey, Butt, you have to show up), we have some ideas in the works that will make this worth your trip.  North Dakota has never been known as a threat to win a tournament, but we've generally been to known to have a good time at them, and we're ready to return the favor to all of you.  Call Dotdon, tweet @PlazaToilets, and summon Murray and Orenga from the bathroom, because this is going to be a really good time.  I promise.  We don't lie. Usually.

More info to come very soon about schedule, game types, lodging and how much booze will be there for the imbibing.  In the meantime, we wanted to get this back on your radar, and hope that as many as possible will come to join us for the third and we promise (really), the best Ryder Cup yet. Peace, love, and Norwood.

For information, please contact either:

Joey Schmit (AKA Dr. Frolf) -- 701-367-2905 -- [email protected] -- @frolfware

Neil Roesler (AKA Leonardite) -- 701-261-4892 -- [email protected] -- @leonardite

The Tecmoers of the Dakotas have united and deemed an appropriate sequence of events for the Ryder Cup. Almost all of the rules will be reminiscent of the previous Ryder Cups, but there will be one Doubles Session that will be flipped. Madison rules will be used in all sessions, doubles and singles, except for the "North Dakota Rules" Tag Team Session. 

Firmly tentative details and schedule are as follows (schedule subject to change): 

* Teams should be compromised of 4 players

* $100 entry fee per team ($25 per player)

11:00 -- Players picked up at host hotel in Fargo (yet to be determined) for transportation to Leonard, ND

11:30 -- If you are planning on driving out to Davenport (90 1st Ave, Davenport, ND 58021), meet there at this time

11:45 -- Arrive at the Leonard Country Club (5274 153rd Ave SE, Leonard, ND 58052), home to the team rounds of the competition. 

12:00-4:00ish -- Team Rounds as follows:

Doubles Session I: 2 Quarters Per Man: In this session, each partner must play 2 quarters, although it does not matter which two quarters.

Doubles Session 2: Strictly Offense/Defense: In this session, one partner will play only offense while the other handles strictly defense.

Singles Session1: Each participant in the Tecmo Ryder Cup will play 3 singles Matches. He nonetheless cannot play more than one Match against the same team/region. For instance, each member of Team Madison will play someone from Minnesota, someone from North Dakota, and someone from Neenah. Each participant must also play at least one Match in each of the two singles sessions. 

4:30ish -- Players transported to Davenport, ND for the final destination games, the singles competition

4:30ish - 4:55 -- Recap team events, drink, regain composure for singles

5:00 - 7:30 -- Singles Sessions as follows:

Tag Team Session: North Dakota Rules: In this session, all players from the team will play 1 quarter of the game, although it can be done in any order on the fly. North Dakota Rules are as follows: No changing playbooks. Everything else is fair game: lurching, any player at any position, etc. Basically once you are playing the game, all options are available. Each team will play all other teams one time in a round-robin style. 

Singles Session 2: Each participant in the Tecmo Ryder Cup will play 3 singles Matches. He nonetheless cannot play more than one Match against the same team/region. For instance, each member of Team Madison will play someone from Minnesota, someone from North Dakota, and someone from Neenah. Each participant must also play at least one Match in each of the two singles sessions. 

7:30-7:45 -- Results tabulated

7:45 - 8:00 -- Ryder Cup Champions Honored

8:00 - ??? --- House Party Time. Stay in Davenport for free or find your own way home.

Edited by DrFrolf

What regions are being represented here?

The regions are up in the air. Predicted regions based on interest level at Texmo X were: two Wisconsin teams (Madison, Neenah) Minnesota, Maybe Nebraska, Maybe Ohio, North Dakota and team USA with some randoms from across the nation.

Here's looking at you, Butt, Grogan, Testeverde, and Buennagels.

Not sure what to expect for numbers, but know it is going to be a Tecmo experience like no other.

WI guys - Josh/Chet, Rico, others..hit me up if you need a player.

Absolutely. We should be able to pull off a Madison team, but may need help with a Neenah or Milwaukee team. Let us know if there are any other guys from the Fox cities interested.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Like what's going on here. Guaranteed to be a good time or your money back. 

Here's the things we know we have on lockdown so far:

1.) Two different venues to showcase Tecmo

2.) Provided Transportation to the two different venues

3.) 6 Tube Televisions

4.) 6 NES systems

5.) Booze

6.) A full-time, all day server to bring #5 directly to your fingertips

7.) Food

8.) Decorations

9.) A crowd

Leonardite, Bob Nelson and I will be brainstorming in the next couple weeks to come up with the final format. Might need a little refresher from the previous Ryder Cup by Orenga, Ed, or the Holzbauers on game and player matchup types. However, there will be North Dakota spins on said game and matchup types. We will be posting cost, times and final locations soon. Stay tuned. 

I, too, like where all of this is heading. 

For those of you considering coming from a significant distance away, flight options are best through Delta, second best through United.  American and Frontier are hit-and-miss on times and fares.  Alternative option is to fly to MSP and drive the little more than three hours on I-94.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM or ask generally here and we'll try to answer as best we can. 

Im on vacation that week...mort works 6 days a week now. Doubt I could bring but him and d.t. Ill prob have sit this one out. ..maybe we could do this the again (informal) the week b4 madison on the thurs or fri b4 the madison tourney (if someone else besides josh and chet could run it). Gl guys...

As captain of the Unified Team, I have to update my potential prospects:

• I have a convention the week prior in Vegas. (Working on a bait & switch with another employee. Conventions are the worst.)

• I have a pregnant wife with baby Murman #2.

• I have to be convincing in my pitch to said pregnant wife for leaving twice in 2 weeks, if blowing off convention doesn't work.

Since Knobbe declined our invitation to the Unified Team, I hope your groin tears and you can never walk again.

AWESOME!!!  I'm going to put the request for time off work and be part of a 4 man wrecking squad that hopes to imbibe and avoid peeing their own pants.   While imbibing is mandatory, the pants peeing part is only a "nice to have." 

If I can't wrangle up some Iowa Tecmo love, maybe I'll be a free-agent, where my services can go to the highest bidder (a cheeseburger).

DotDon

Team North Dakota is ready for the challenge. We have, in no particular order: Bob Nelson, Leonardite, Bryce Mattson from Oxbow, and Dr. Frolf. 

There are some intriguing options for amenities while indulging in the Ryder Cup Festivities. The Tecmo games themselves will be held in two different locations: The first games will take place in Leonard, ND and the final games will be in Davenport, ND. Both of these cities are around 25 miles from Fargo, ND, so..............

We are trying to figure out transportation for those that want to stay in the big city of Fargo and still decide to have one, maybe two (dozen), adult beverages. We are trying to get a line on a hotel that is cost effective and would be a gathering point for the competitors if they want to stay in Fargo. If the participants are not picky in where they are staying for the evening, the location in Davenport sleeps 8 people comfortably. It is also free. We are planning on partying like it's 1991, so figuring these details out is essential. 

Summary: 

Closest hotel is in Fargo, 25 miles away from our final playing location of Davenport

We are trying to find a suitable hotel in Fargo for those wanting to stay there, and to make it our initial gathering location

We are finding the best possible transportation for those staying in Fargo

Having a couple squads of 4  stay in Davenport for free is an option

• 2 weeks later...

The Tecmoers of the Dakotas have united and deemed an appropriate sequence of events for the Ryder Cup. Almost all of the rules will be reminiscent of the previous Ryder Cups, but there will be one Doubles Session that will be flipped. Madison rules will be used in all sessions, doubles and singles, except for the "North Dakota Rules" Tag Team Session. 

Firmly tentative details and schedule are as follows (schedule subject to change): 

* Teams must be compromised of 4 players

* $100 entry fee per team ($25 per player)

9:00 -- Meet at host hotel in Fargo (yet to be determined) and load competitors into provided vehicle for transportation to Leonard, ND

9:45 -- Arrive at the Leonard Country Club, home to the team rounds of the competition. 

10:00-2:00ish -- Team Rounds as follows:

Doubles Session I: 2 Quarters Per Man: In this session, each partner must play 2 quarters, although it does not matter which two quarters.

Doubles Session 2: Strictly Offense/Defense: In this session, one partner will play only offense while the other handles strictly defense.

Tag Team Session: North Dakota Rules: In this session, all players from the team will play 1 quarter of the game, although it can be done in any order on the fly. North Dakota Rules are as follows: No changing playbooks. Everything else is fair game: lurching, any player at any position, etc. Basically once you are playing the game, all options are available. Each team will play all other teams one time in a round-robin style. 

2:30-3:00  -- Players transported to Davenport, ND for the final destination games, the singles competition

3:00 - 3:30 -- Recap team events, drink, regain composure for singles

4:00 - 7:00 -- Singles Sessions as follows: 

Singles Sessions: Each participant in the Tecmo Ryder Cup will play 3 singles Matches. He nonetheless cannot play more than one Match against the same team/region. For instance, each member of Team Madison will play someone from Minnesota, someone from North Dakota, and someone from Neenah. Each participant must also play at least one Match in each of the two singles sessions. 

7:00-7:15 -- Results tabulated

7:15 - 7:30 -- Ryder Cup Champions Honored

7:30 - ??? --- House Party Time

9:30 -- Transportation Vehicle #1 back to host hotel

11:30 -- Transportation Vehicle #2 back to host hotel

11:30 -- Sunday -- Anybody left sleeps on one of the 3 beds, 5 couches or on the floor in Davenport, ND

All this said, we do need to start nailing down how many teams will be at the Ryder Cup. Please let me know if you are planning on having a team come to ND to represent your Tecmo prowess. We need to have final numbers in place by the 27th of October. 

I love the North Dakota rules -- reminds me of the Street Tecmo we used to play after the Madison tournament at the Plaza. Here's the information I have so far on teams:

Madison:

We have 5 players, so unless one of us can't make it (skunker is most likely to drop out), we'll have one player to contribute to a greater Wisconsin team or World team

1. Chet

2. Josh

3. Rik

4. Skunkerofbestinworld

5. garbagetsbplayer

Greater Wisconsin:

So far, we've tracked down two interested players: Coconuts and Rico. Rico is trying to recruit others from Milwaukee.

Minnesota:

Bailey knows more than I do, but it sounds like they have 3 right now (Ed, Sconnie, Bailey), and are desperately looking to find a fourth.

Nebraska:

Rumors abound on Twitter, but it appears as though they have 2 locked down (Travis & Travis). The 3rd and 4th players remain as elusive as a CFB season without 4 Bo Pelini losses.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Splendid news.  Our biggest thing left to organize is transportation, which will be provided for all competitors.  Obviously the better idea we can get for numbers, the better we can coordinate that.  The two locations strategy is ambitious, but we believe it will be by far the most entertaining and desirable option.

Here's my rough count at this point.  If I'm missing anyone, chime in:

Team North Dakota (obviously)

Team Madison (+1 - call it Skunker at the moment)

Team Greater WI (-2...hopefully more to come)

Team Nebraska (-2 (same...Knobbe, get on it)

Team MN (-1...hoping to find one more.  Butt Douglas?)

Free agent murmurings (people who expressed interest at one time - maybe outdated now)

dotdon/TL James

O'Dell

Dave Murray

Grogan and Testaverde pair (I don't even know their real names.  One of them is Trevor.  They're in Madison every year and have texted me about this)

We can accommodate as many teams and players as possible.  If you're interested and able, it will be worth the trip. 

Edited by Leonardite