BengalsBengalsBengals

David Fulcher

Well hello, my fellow Tecmo lovers! This is by far the greatest website of all time. I just stumbled upon it in a bout with boredom this week, and now I fear I may never leave.

My first post will be about the Bengals. They aren't my favorite team (that would be my beloved Bills), and I don't use them the most of any other team (that would be my beloved Giants). However, I was pleasantly surprised last year when a friend of mine showed me the magic of this amazing team.

David Fulcher has become a legend at my high school. Our entire football team plays Tecmo the night before a game at my house, and we all love the interception machine. He gets mentioned frequently as a "dummy call" on the field, and he has made numerous appearances in the school paper in our "Question of the Week." Truly, he is a legend. But seriously, isn't this team amazing? I would put them in the best-team categories along with the 49ers (ick), Bills, Giants, Bears and Eagles. Your thoughts on this?

And finally, screw the Niners and Raiders. I refuse to play with them. I feel using them is juvenile, and I find the Raiders easy to stop. (Except Willie Gault- damn, that guy has my number.) The Niners present a challenge, but I still think they suck are not the best team. (Meggs and the Giants earn that distinction)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I'm not talking about pickup games at all, I'm talking about actual high school football games. Among other calls besides Fulcher are, Bengals, Cincinatti, Zendejas, and after we score a touchdown, "MA-MOH!" (That's supposed to be the noise it makes after you score a touchdown...we've found it really demoralizes the other team to rub Tecmo noises in their faces.)

But seriously, what does everyone think about the Bengals? Do you think they can compete with the likes of the Giants and Bills?

(I'm from Kansas)

The Bengals... are pretty good i guess. Esiason really isn't the QB needed to take them to the next level and its not like he has some kick ass-receiver to make up for him. While your controlling fulcher the d wont make many plays to cover you either. I'd rank them 6th in the AFC.

SIXTH IN THE AFC?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Not only is Esiason excellent, but their tight end Rodney Holman (I believe that's his name) is the one I like to refer to as "Black Bavaro." He's not the best tight end in the world, but he makes clutch catches. In the AFC, I'd put them behind the Bills and maybe the Oilers, equal with the Raiders, and above the Chiefs/Chargers/anyone else. They're a very well-rounded team.

Plus, they've got the Icky Shuffle on their side. Talk about intangibles.

I'd say that the Bengals are definately a top-tier team. Fulcher is all you need on Defense (and if you must use a linebacker, Francis is more than adequite). On Offense, Holman is a pro-bowl tight-end, Boomer an above-average QB, James Brookes, an above average RB, as well as a decent special teams, and no glaring weak points. I certainly do not have trouble winning games with this team and would rank them somewhere in the top 5 of the AFC.

At the lowest they'd be 5th in the AFC but could be considered 3rd. The Bills and Oilers are 1 and 2 while you can argue about where the Bengals rank with the Raiders and Chiefs.

Either way with an accurate QB, a 56 MS RB, WRs who can catch, Fulcher, and James Francis you have a team that can compete with any of the elite teams.

My dad has a shirt with a bear on it that says just that.

The Bengals also have Barney Bussey and Kevin Walker as decent players depending on the situation. Their corners however...:oops:

I support the right to arm bears.

:x

While I don't consider the Bengals a top-tier team, I do like them very very much. James Brooks is pretty damn good in his own right, and you're right, Fulcher is a beast.

I rate the AFC as follows...

1. Buffalo

2. Houston

3. Raiders

4. Kansas City

5. Miami

6. Cincy

I'm sorry but I think you are a bit biased on how good these guys are. The main reasons why I'd place them lower than those other teams is that their receivers suck and Icky sucks. Fulcher is a God on D obviously but he doesn't really have any help. Howvever, the main advantage of the five teams above them is a better offense, which is very key in TSB.

I rate the AFC as follows...

1. Buffalo

2. Houston

3. Raiders

4. Kansas City

5. Miami

6. Cincy

I'm sorry but I think you are a bit biased on how good these guys are. The main reasons why I'd place them lower than those other teams is that their receivers suck and Icky sucks. Fulcher is a God on D obviously but he doesn't really have any help. Howvever, the main advantage of the five teams above them is a better offense, which is very key in TSB.

That's my assessment too. However, I have Houston ahead of Buffalo.

I don't think Miami can compare to Cincy. Sure, the Dolphins can pass... but their run sucks. Both teams are fairly equal on D, the Dolphins don't have Fulcher but are more well rounded with a better LB (offerdahl) and good db's.

ok buddy, looks like we need to play some Tecmo. I'll take the Dolphins and you can play with your "3rd best in the AFC" Bengals. Lets Rumble Biatch

I don't think Miami can compare to Cincy. Sure, the Dolphins can pass... but their run sucks. Both teams are fairly equal on D, the Dolphins don't have Fulcher but are more well rounded with a better LB (offerdahl) and good db's.

I just think that Marino is that good ... especially for newbies.

Oh I'm not talking about pickup games at all

Neither was I. The only time we could throw those passes was in pickup games. I was wondering if you actually did it in games as an advantage.

Just put Duper at RB and move Jensen to wideout. With Paige and that O-Line, the run attack is pretty solid. There's really no question as to which offense is better. Miami's defense has always bugged me as they're probably the best team without a defensive superstar, but thats the only advantage the Bengals have on them (yeah, a big one).

This really doesn't have anything to do with the Bengals (who are sweet, by the way...I'd use them third in Man vs. Man behind the Giants, Bills and in a tie with the Eagles), but I thought I'd remark on what Slig (or Rod Woodson, don't remember who) said about using special challenges when playing Tecmo.

Last night I played Redskins vs. Niners, picking each default play in sequence on offense and defense, as well as picking each player on defense in sequence. Of course, no punts or field goals, but I never do those anyway. Boy howdy was it ugly.

For the Niners. WHOOOOOOOO! Even using those plays, I beat the Niners 78-7. It was sweet. After eight offensive plays, it was 39-7 me. It was an amazing Tecmo beatdown even with those restrictions. I am amazing. (If I didn't have a piece of crap old, slow computer, I would play some people online...unfortunately, I'm poor.)

Hey, the secondary is tight. The DL can bust decent pockets. Boomer to Buford rocks. Green & Woods are like Meggett & Anderson. And woe is he who goes against this team with no running attack. I believe they made the playoffs in each of our 4 seasons and made it to SBs 2 & 3, losing to the Giants & Bears respectively.

I'd say cinci is 4th in the AFC behind Bills, Oilers, and Raiders. Miami is far behind cinci for these reasons

1. running attack. even with duper at RB that's 50 max speed. brooks is 56 plus some HP

2. Defense. A standout on defense is much more important than overall adaquecy. Offerdahl is just that same with Oliver, or J.Williams. David Fulcher is like having 13 or 14 men out there. add to that your the respectable Bussey and Francis and there's no contest.

Miami's ad in the passing game doesn't outweigh these except if playing on a beginner level. brooks should be enough to open up the passing game to 1 of 3 decent receivers from a decent QB.

reasons why cinci is better than KC

1. A stud safety is much preferable to a stud LB. do you know what happens if you run right at a man controlled DT. that's right . he gets his ass kicked by 3 men.

2. only 1 receiver. double cover paige and shut down the passing game.

3. christian okoye is overrated. I'd call him the Nigerian Dream instead of the Nigerian Nightmare with that 50 RS. he can be difficult to handle in excellent but thats it

The competition btw KC and Cinci is much closer but in my mind Fulcher alone wins this. He is so dominant that he would make Indy a top 5 team in the AFC if he was traded to the colts, hypothetically of course

The bengals have to be one of the best in the AFC, if not the entire NFL. When playing man v man, Fulcher alone can stop the best offenses. One of the greatest seasons I've played was a dorm tourney. I had the bills and was playing throughout the season against man carried Raiders, Chiefs, Giants, and about 6 other top teams. I made it to the AFC championship and faced my boy who had the bengals. Quite possibly the best game of tecmo ever played. It was all defense, and with 20 some odd people watching, the bengals beat me 10-7. I learned that day that one man can make the team, and he can shut down any offense. I may have to put the bengals as the #1 team to play with man v man. A lot depends on conditions of players, but if Fulcher is doing at least average, you can expect a low scoring game from the opposing team.

If you can't score, you can't win, and although there are plenty of better offensive teams than the bengals, when I play against another person, if I can get away with it, I will be the bengals.

HA! Like the Bucs, please. The Bengals are capable of amaaaaazing games on offense with Holman and Brooks. They're nothing like the sputtering offensive buffoons from Tampa.

David Fulcher is a Tecmo god, but they have an all-around solid defense with their other db's, along with Carl Zander, etc. If you're playing man vs. man against the Niners, Fulcher and the Bengals are the only way to go...just some advice.