Here's an article from a couple years ago when the Cowboys were a week 17 win away from making the playoffs. The writer recalls a time when the Blue Stars were relying on none other than Babe Laufenberg to do the same due to a late season Troy Aikman injury. In case you forget how Babe fared...

http://thelandryhat.com/2012/11/03/memory-lane-cowboys-falcons-1990/

Great stuff. As a Cowboys fan 1991 was one of my all-time favorite teams and seasons. They broke through to the playoffs in a topsy turvy year where again Aikman got hurt late. Emmitt was a rock for them but Playmaker started a stretch where seemingly every third and long was a lock to be a completed slant Beuerlein came in and led them to the post season where they beat the Bears in Chicago. Then they got blown out for the second time in 1991 by the Lions as Erik Kramer carved them up and Barry Sanders did his thing and people actually thought Wayne Fontes was a good coach.

Great stuff. As a Cowboys fan 1991 was one of my all-time favorite teams and seasons. They broke through to the playoffs in a topsy turvy year where again Aikman got hurt late. Emmitt was a rock for them but Playmaker started a stretch where seemingly every third and long was a lock to be a completed slant Beuerlein came in and led them to the post season where they beat the Bears in Chicago. Then they got blown out for the second time in 1991 by the Lions as Erik Kramer carved them up and Barry Sanders did his thing and people actually thought Wayne Fontes was a good coach.

As a Lions fan, we yearn for Fontes.

As a Lions fan, we yearn for Fontes.

As a Packers fan with a long-tenured coach/GM/QB combination, I wonder what the feelings of stability are for fans from our NFC North counterparts. 

Would Lions fans really trade in Jim Caldwell for Wayne Fontes? Who knows, he may be the beginning of something beautiful in Detroit.

Yearn for Barry Sanders? That one I can understand.