Interesting Tecmo find

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Been meaning to post this for a long time, but there were some inconsistencies with early Tecmo Bowl box art and the actual game.

Tecmo teams on the original had either a 4-3 defense (Dallas, Washington, and Chicago).  Everyone else was a 3-4.  

In what looks to be a proto-type version it shows a 3-3 defense with possible cornerback and 2 safeties.

>http://youtu.be/ofRzOeaKdzE

Cool find! Also on the prototype box it shows SACKS and INT for "Lawrence" instead of just sacks or INT & AVG.

While I was messing around with the ROMS I found you can have them line up in punt formation, FG formation, Kickoff Formation, Etc. On each play. The FG defense formation wouldn't be a bad Goal line defense at least by looks.

I think I've read that can be adjusted.  I had a damn game genie code that supposedly gave you longer qtrs, but I could never get the code to work.  Based on the number of possessions, I think 2 minute qtrs would be just right.  Having 3 minute qtrs means you're blowing about 45-50 minutes for each game.    

• 1 month later...

Also on the "proto-type" box Joe which I can only assume in Joe Montana based on the team colors, only has 8 TD's which actually was his 1986 totals when he was injured most of the year. I think for the game they actually used his 1987 totals.

Awesome find....Makes it appear that Tecmo was possibly in the early stages of development before the 1987 season started.  Many things I have found do suggest that the ball was really rolling by late 1987 based on the Tecmo Bowl roster and how they sync up with their actual NFL counterpart starting line-ups from that year.

One oddity that i found was the 49ers kick returner...name escapes me at the moment, but the last time he was in the NFL was 1986.  There are a slew of players who finished their career in 87 and ended up on Tecmo.  Payton for example, and quite a few cowboys players, who were out of the league in 1988.  

Awesome find....Makes it appear that Tecmo was possibly in the early stages of development before the 1987 season started.  Many things I have found do suggest that the ball was really rolling by late 1987 based on the Tecmo Bowl roster and how they sync up with their actual NFL counterpart starting line-ups from that year.

One oddity that i found was the 49ers kick returner...name escapes me at the moment, but the last time he was in the NFL was 1986.  There are a slew of players who finished their career in 87 and ended up on Tecmo.  Payton for example, and quite a few cowboys players, who were out of the league in 1988.

Derrick Crawford

• 3 months later...

Also on the "proto-type" box Joe which I can only assume in Joe Montana based on the team colors, only has 8 TD's which actually was his 1986 totals when he was injured most of the year. I think for the game they actually used his 1987 totals.

In addition the "proto-type" box the colors of the stat descriptions (sacks, int, comp%, etc) are in blue and the actual stats are in pink/red. The actual game the stat descriptions are pink/red and the actual stats are white. Also it shows 5:00 minute quarters when in the real game quarters are 1:30.

Always made me mad that Charles Haley was a rookie in '86, and by all indications the game uses the ratings of the players from the results of the '87 season with key additions for the '88 season, and he's not on the game. Although with him as an option on the original game at bottom outside linebacker San Francisco might have been too strong, much like they are in the Japan Famicon version, but to a lesser degree considering they still had no John Taylor, and Roger Craig was only a 9 speed instead of 10 like the Japan Version.

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2015 at 7:34 PM, TheFes75 said:

Always made me mad that Charles Haley was a rookie in '86, and by all indications the game uses the ratings of the players from the results of the '87 season with key additions for the '88 season, and he's not on the game. Although with him as an option on the original game at bottom outside linebacker San Francisco might have been too strong, much like they are in the Japan Famicon version, but to a lesser degree considering they still had no John Taylor, and Roger Craig was only a 9 speed instead of 10 like the Japan Version.

i think if Haley was included as a Bottom outside LB, they would have needed to make him like a little slower Duane Bickett type guy.  Otherwise that defense and the team would easily be the top dog as you suggested....or at least better against the field as compared to the G-men.  In the Japan version, I can't think of the last time they have lost in more than a dozen+ 2-player games.  With that said, we've had them on the ropes plenty of times, but just couldn't land the knock out blow.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad