Tecmonster's TSB 2015 ready for download

Tecmonster

I haven't allowed a return TD yet in probably 20 games vs COM. My issue is with trying to stop the run, if anybody has that figured out...let me know. Can I win grapples somehow or am I just getting unlucky?

I'm having a hard time stopping the run too.  When I improved the blocking scheme, I didn't change much other than just finding o-linemen that had no assignment (would just stand there after the snap) and giving him an unfettered defender to block.  I'm getting better at defending though, and here's how: (1) I call a lot more run plays on defense now.  In fact, now, unless it's 3rd and double digits, I call run.  I used to call pass plays vs. the COM about 95% of the time and then rely on my LB to single-handedly stop the run. (2) Never take direct routes to the running back.  Run laterally down the line, shadowing the ball carrier, until you can either explode through a gap in the blocking, or take a shallow circular route by running around the initial surge of the o-line.  (3)  Players dive a little faster on my rom.  So, on sweep plays specifically, try to corral the RB to the sidelines and then dive tackle him once you're a step ahead.

I'm having a hard time stopping the run too.  When I improved the blocking scheme, I didn't change much other than just finding o-linemen that had no assignment (would just stand there after the snap) and giving him an unfettered defender to block.  I'm getting better at defending though, and here's how: (1) I call a lot more run plays on defense now.  In fact, now, unless it's 3rd and double digits, I call run.  I used to call pass plays vs. the COM about 95% of the time and then rely on my LB to single-handedly stop the run. (2) Never take direct routes to the running back.  Run laterally down the line, shadowing the ball carrier, until you can either explode through a gap in the blocking, or take a shallow circular route by running around the initial surge of the o-line.  (3)  Players dive a little faster on my rom.  So, on sweep plays specifically, try to corral the RB to the sidelines and then dive tackle him once you're a step ahead.

Yea, I started calling more runs also after seeing something about the 1 notch HP bonus based on guessing run vs pass, normally I'd only call runs inside my own 20 yd line or so, figuring I can cover all the open WR myself. My main issue though trying to stop the run is that I use secondary players 95% of the time, and I can't win a grapple against any decent RB....or halfway mobile QB for that matter.

OK, my advice applied mainly to man-controlled LB's.  If you're controlling a DB, then grappling will definitely be a problem in most cases, especially for all those fast but light-HP corners.  In that case, you either have to hope to hang on to the dude until the rest of your team gets there, or just get good at dive-tackling, which is easier to do in my game with the diving time animation reduced by about 30%.

So I was just staring at your overall playbook...and thinking it would be tight if you (or anyone) might be able to replace the last pass play in "Pass 4" --"Redgun Z Slant" with another Read-Option look. I don't know how difficult it would be to do, no experience successfully creating plays. The play could be anything from that look really, I was thinking a Play-action WR screen maybe? Don't get me wrong...this playbook is the absolute best I've ever seen as it stands. I mean these freakin things are built as true Game Plans for each team and they are TOUGH to defend. I think this would add on nicely, plus I can't imagine using any play that identifies itself with pre-snap movement (motion). Expanding on that notion, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing "Slot LZ Drive" ousted/swapped either. In the more original type Roms, Slot LZ Drive is one of my favs...In this case though, there are just better plays in your book that make more sense scheme wise. Thoughts? 

I like your play action WR screen idea.  I may see if I can design that and put it in next season's rom over one of those orphan pass plays in slot 4.

Cool, if I had any idea how to do these things i'd get it done for you. I probably just haven't put enough time into trying to figure it out. Haha..of course if I did know what I was doing I may lose my job, as I don't think I'd ever stop coming up with play ideas.

Well, pass plays are a more difficult to create than run plays and zone read pass plays, in particular, are the most difficult.  That's compounded by the fact that I lost my notes on the one zone read pass play in the game. 

What I would like to do is send the RB straight down into the flat after faking the handoff in sort of a bubble screen pattern, while the bottom two receivers run out to block in front of him.  The top receiver would still run deep and the top slot receiver would still run a slant towards the middle of the field.  Everything about that should be relatively simple to accomplish except for the RB1 downward flat pattern.  I have no idea right now how I can make that happen.  There would only be three eligible receivers on that play but it would be pretty powerful as a hybrid run-pass play (with the run portion of that actually a hybrid in itself, of the zone read RB R and the zone read QB L plays).

This is the most competitive Tecmo Bowl ROM out there...INCREDIBLE job with it!

. I took the Broncos to 12-4 but these wins  were RARELY pushover blowouts. As mentioned above, the running game when playing the computer is the equalizing factor in my opinion. I love the added dynamic of the offensive or defensive line gaining a "PUSH" with the grappling.....again..FANTASTIC JOB.

TM - one additional change you can make to the ROM  to make playing vs. the COM tougher without juicing it, is to alter the "take sack" byte in each passing play.  This would make the COM controlled QB fire the ball out more often when pressured (the Brett Favre hack).  It actually works pretty well with the throw to open receiver hack. 

To do this, you would go to each pass play in hex and find the C1.  The 3rd byte after the C1 controlls the take a sack percentage (the first two bytes being start throw and end throw).  I went through and did this....think I changed all the bytes to E-something (E6 maybe?) which would be about a 10% chance of taking a sack.  Though I think you already somewhat accomplished this by lining the LBs up a few yards back.  Just a thought....

Tecmonster,

Thanks for the reply.  You are awesome.  Maybe 7 or 8 outta 10 on the juice scale.  Thanks again!

Well, there really is no juice scale, but if you're thinking 70-80% of what the original game's max juice was (03-04-06-09-09) then it's probably already there (03-03-05-06-06).  UNLESS, you're saying that you want those settings for every game instead of just building up to that once your team gets to a certain level above .500 win percentage (which is 11 games over in my rom; 16 games over in the original).

would be awesome if someday some of the folks that work on these roms can built an in game trade system not just by the tsb managers we had over the years. i know that would be some heavy programming to try and do. also would be great to get 32 team rom editions for the 1995-2006 seasons(95-2001 i can see making 30 teams and having a free agent team roster for the remaining)and upgrade managers for the genesis versions of tsb 1-3 with a simulation editor. nonetheless nice work on this rom

Yeah I know the problem: every time you use TSBToolSupreme to edit the rom, it applies some unknown code over some of the moving grapple hack code, so you have to go back into the code with a hex editor AFTER using TSBToolSupreme and re-add that particular section of code . . .  or the game will glitch.  If you use the Translhextion hex editor, I'm sending you the code inside a zip file.  I recommend opening this zip file and placing the one and only file that is inside it on your Desktop. 

How you apply this file is to open up your rom in Translhextion and jump to offset x3ffc0 (by clicking Offset > Jump To).  Highlight (by dragging on) that byte + the next 48 bytes (49 bytes total), then:

1) go to Selection and click "Fill Selection with..."

2) in the pop-up box, select "File" from the dropdown box after "Fill selection with"

3) click "Browse" and find your file (preferably on your Desktop) and select it

4) click "OK"

5) Go "File" and save your rom.

This should fix the problem.  Every time you edit your rom with TSBToolSupreme, you're going to have to do this directly afterwards though.

Here's the other caveat: some of the names of the Arizona Cardinals (or in your case, maybe even as far as the Rams, but that's odd) might be screwed up now.  This is because the location for one section of the moving grapples hack is prone to getting overlapped a little bit with the player names of the NFC West.  For my rom, that meant I just had to shorten each first name of the Cardinals defense to one initial (in TSBToolSupreme).  Then, of course, I had to re-add that grapple code at x3ffc0 using the procedure above.

For those that plan to edit the rosters with TSBToolSupreme and/or run a fantasy league, I've also attached "cheat sheets" that will help during the draft, if you still plan on using my rosters and player ratings.

Failed miserably at doing this,  it would not read x3ffc0 but went somewhere for x3ffco  yet the patching did not work.  As you said, making any change make the rom invalid.