Sign in to follow this  
gonickmontana

HSTL Season 29 Regular Season Retrospective

I thought it'd be interesting to talk about how everyone's regular season went, especially since this seems to be a historic season in terms of the competitiveness of the league:

As far as my season, I went into the draft not quite sure who my first round pick was going to be. Once I grabbed Everett, I decided I'd try to build as good of an offense as I could and then draft one 56ms/56int defender to patrol the other side of the ball. When the run on 56/56 DBs ended, I was left SOL, freaked out and grabbed two 56ms/38 int defenders (the RAI DBs). I figured I would still be able to do ok defensively, and actually that is how my season turned out: I gave up 268 pts, or 16.75 ppg, which is a little on the high side, but right in line with what I've been doing in HSTL the past couple seasons. Meanwhile, my offense, which I thought was going to be awesome, laid a few really important eggs, namely games against SD, RAI, and CLE where I only managed to score 14 pts, and against NE, where I only managed 7. I ended up scoring 350 points, which is right in the range of where my offense has been the past couple seasons, but the interesting thing is that my offense scored fewer points with Everett than seasons where I had Vinny and Steve Young at the helm. I've always thought of myself as a bit of an offensive guru, but it turns out I'm probably more of a junk player.

In finishing things out at 9-7, and I noticed I played a lot of one-score games. And I did really bad in those games: 2-6. That either means I got a bit unlucky this year, or I choked this year. I went 5-3 in my division, and interestingly, swept the NFC West. And that's how I got 9 wins.

Finally, I'd like to dedicate this season to MANYO. I would also like to dedicate my sig to MANYO. When I look at a man destroy three other dudes on a punt return, I think of MANYO. I also want to say to Diaz, you ran a good show this season and I'm looking forward to your continued commishing of this league, but I hold you accountable for MANYO's departure.

I'll gladly take the responsibility of turning a Manyo into a woMAN, YO. Nice analysis. I'll have to do some historical digging before I post an official response. And stats and dynastyphile piss me off these days.

The Eagles started the season with a tricky draft situation, I picked high with the majority of my opponents in my division picking all in a row behind me. So I took Marino earlier than most people would, but the objective was to not give Disc, Kamp, or Disasta a elite QB in hopes they would have to pick RB and make run based teams. I really based my draft on what was in my division, that along with improvement of my play led to a pretty good season. All due respect to all 3 they are pretty great players but in my humble opinion they are best with great QB's, this worked and didn't I split with Disc and Disasta, swept Cubs, but was swept by Kamp. So i put myself in position to make a division title run but unfortunately lost some key games that prevented a for sure Division title. I wont bore you guys with excuses on my losses, I had some rough luck in some but very lucky in others, and had the opportunity to lock up the Division and didn't. Either way our division has to be the most interesting situation with a possible 3 9-7 teams and the tie breakers will be crazy.Can't wait to see who makes the playoffs and who wins the NFC East.

Season highlight: Blair Thomas over 1300 yds and 17 tds

Edited by Ryan11p

Figured I would end up with a Haddix/Fulcher type pick, but with Barry there at 9 I had to rethink things. I couldn't decide if I wanted to draft for a lights out offense, or draft for balance, since Barry tips the scales no matter what I do. When I saw in the 2nd round that if I waited one round on QB, I would be guaranteed to have either Elway, Peete or Majik. I wanted to take Elway, but took the last good DB left in Lippett (who ended up having a very minimal impact on defense this season).

After another round or two I realized it didn't really matter what WRs I took, I would barely use them, so I just balanced out the D, and added the 50ms/94hp KR I love so much.

The season started out very poorly as I was trying out an experimental playbook that would maximize Barry's value, but there were too many all-or-nothing plays in the playbook. Once I switched back to something that would get me around 10 yards a down, I started to reel off a lot of wins (most of them pretty close), and won 3/4 games that required me to make a goal line stop in the late 4th to hold on. 

I'll need to make consistent defensive stops in the playoffs to win, and do better with Lippett and co. 

I'd also like to dedicate this season to manyo. The brightest candles burn half as long. It's too bad he left over something retarded (probably, I don't remember what it was). 

Ok, back to work on the draftatron.

Blair Thomas was highly impressive. Was that a career year for him?

I had a comparable year with Thomas in season 20. Not quite as many total yards, but higher in other categories.

I had a horrific season and have excellent excuses for all of my losses.  I should be 14-0 right now, of course.  4 INTs in 12 games for Deion despite about 20+ passes in his grill.  Besides all that...

Week 2 - Reskins (cubsfan)... L, 7-13

I just wasn't ready.  I hadn't done enough pre-season to realize that the playbook needed to be changed.

Week 4 - Cowboys (kamphuna)... L, 17-21

I was on the game-winning drive and came up one yard short as the Ware/Gray slow and go offense didn't have quite enough go.  

Week 5 - Broncos (grip)... L, 17-21

Had this one in the bag until I kept being outgrappled by Barry.  Still was going to win, but instead of scoring at the end I decided to bleed the clock out as Grip had a 56 MS KR and 100 HP.  Faced 3rd and short and got my play called twice for the loss.

Weeks 6 & 13 - Bengals (diaz)... L, 7-28... L, 7-17

Pass 2 shotgun failed me and the KC OL that I should have drafted (I took RAI) savaged my bump defense.  

Week 9 - Chiefs (SirTed)... L, 17-21

The bumps into the DL were simply not happening for Deion and I was getting outgrappled left and right.  

Week 15 - Browns (chino)... L, 7-24

Fighting for my playoff life and Tecmo comes up with the biggest joke of a game I've ever played in with chino calling literally 80% of my plays.  Not an exaGGeration.

Week 16 - Colts (psycho)... L, 28-34

Fighting my playoff life once again and I played this one brilliantly.  Doesn't matter as psycho out-taps and out-JJs me for the win.

One of my favorite posts of all time. So many quotable lines in here.

A very up and down season for SirTed, and his Kansas City Chiefs.

I finished 7-9, which actually is the 2nd best record I've posted so far in my short stint of HSTL (and the only season w/ a better record, I had Montana).

So, in a way, it's shows progress. I think I'm getting a little better.

That said, I stole at least one game this season (NOS). But I guess I lost two close ones to Redset, (we split 1 score games last season, IIRC) and I had a chance to win both.

I learned a little about my play style, and will adjust my draft accordingly. Hopefully by my 10th season I'll be able to throw together a decent draft.

I learned it's not a good idea to play a game when I'm about an hr away from blacking out (31-0 loss to Sea, and GoNick took his foot off the gas).

I also learned that I'm going to need an assistant on HYPE duties in the summer time.

Y5540-20_00_%282%29.jpg

I'm worthless around here this time of year. Probably the only reason I'm looking forward to summer coming to an end. Noted, we'll be ready next time.

Pretty good season from the Dirty Birds here. 11-5, could've won a couple more, also could've lost a couple more, but the breaks went the way they did, and I ended up with a winning record and finally a division title!! Pretty crazy that I haven't won one yet, but s25 i tied with Bob(TURBO), and the next, rmm beat me out(TURBO). Reg and Dolo were in my division s27, and a late fade by me last year lost it to Dolo. So it took 2 turboers and 2 of the great players to keep me from my crown. I'll take it. Looking back, I may be the active leader in consecutive playoff appearances with 5 straight now, as well as never having a 8-8 or worse record..idk I'll have to double check again (I know Gats missed a season, otherwise he'd be there). We'll see if the regular season success translates to postseason success this year..

I don't believe I started turbo until s27/s28.  I just had a sick team in s26 with Marino/Marcus Allen on offense and a bunch of turnovers on D (freakish season with Tim McDonald notching 10 picks).

Your playoff streak is very impressive.  I think only Odell's might top that.