Waterloo, IA - 12/13/14 - Tomczak Bowl VII

Beef Juice

Just checked the registrations and we're now up to 28 people including Tecmo legend Sobhi Y. (bestinworld). If that doesn't convince you to make the trek to Waterloo then I don't know what to tell you.

Back to 28 registrants. Apparently someone really was trolling us with the Sobhi and Regulator sign ups.

Dang Trolls.

Was looking at the tiers.  I am no expert but it seems to be the Browns and Jets should switch tiers.  I always thought the Jets were much better than the Browns.

Dang Trolls.

Was looking at the tiers.  I am no expert but it seems to be the Browns and Jets should switch tiers.  I always thought the Jets were much better than the Browns.

I need to sit down and review tiers in the next couple weeks.  I'll take that into consideration.

Send me the IPs and I'll tell you who it is. :)

Ha. I don't believe I get IPs recorded in the Google Sheets form.

Edited by Beef Juice

Fun facts about the matchups last year.

• The Eagles were the only team never selected, at all, ever. Not once.
  • Two teams were picked just once, the Niners and Seahawks. I'll let you guess which of the two won their game.
  • Of the 24 Tier 4 matches last year, the Falcons were picked 14 times and went a respectable 9-5.
  • For those rolling Tier 1 keep this in mind. The Giants went 13-4 last year while the Bills went 2-12. Houston was 3-3. Niners 1-0.
  • Aside from NYG-BUF in Tier 1 the most commonly picked match was NYJ-NO in Tier 5. That match can be chosen again this year but in the odd hodgepodge of Tier 4 I'm curious to see how often it will be.
  • Small Sample Size! Chargers went 4-0 last year.
  • Aside from the Bills running into the Giants buzzsaw repeatedly the worst performing team was Pittsburgh who went 2-7. This was followed by Denver's 2-5 showing.
  • The Steelers and Broncos also had the most shutouts. 3 matchups each the player using those teams got blanked. Only Phoenix can claim more than one loss by shutout.

Rams and Falcons in the same tier. I'm pretty sure if you called that match up against Orenga his head would explode.

Imagine all the garbage that would spill out of it. It'd be a mess.

We're getting pumped too.  We have 33 registered now.  We're working on details for this year's trophy and we're for sure having a Winner's Jacket to hand out again. Josh will need to for sure wear his from last year when he puts the new on this year's champ, which I guess he could be putting on himself.

Josh if you win again please wear two jackets at the same time.

What time does the tourney start again?

Also hotel to recommendations?  Don't want to stay at a 5 Star but also not a fan of getting stabbed.  So something in the middle.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8F59_pnPNlockFHaUJXejNYRUk/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a map I made last year for hotels. I think guys stayed at the Motel 6 on there and others have stayed at the Clarion and or Days on University Ave. Fans of gambling can always stay at the Isle of Capri.

Also the tourney generally starts at 1pm with folks arriving at noon to get settled, register, maybe get a practice game in.

A lot of have expressed interested in a Friday get together. Things kind of fell through for that last year and it wound up just being Nick and I hanging out with Mort and Louis at the Lava Lounge, which still wound up to be a lot of fun. But we would like to maybe get a party room where a couple NES units could be set up on Friday.  That way instead of holing up in your hotel the night before you can come out and socialize with the fine salt of the earth folks of Waterloo.  Anyway we'll keep folks posted.

I'm familiar with Cedar Falls/ Waterloo quite a bit, what's the venue for the tourney? (sorry if I overlooked this)

No problem. We have it at Spicoli's Bar and Grill on University. If you're like me and are familiar with Waterloo/CF back in the late 90s/early 2000s it was known as Brooster's.