Waterloo, IA - 12/13/14 - Tomczak Bowl VII

Beef Juice

6gxNnaV.png

Registration is now open: http://tecmotourney.blogspot.com/2014/08/tomczak-bowl-vii-official-registration.html

We plan to use the same venue and everything.  We are upping the fee from $15 to $20, mostly so we don't have to piss around with making change for everyone.

We'll see if we can top last year's epic final between the Holzbauers.  I think a Jim Jensen jersey needs to be hung in the rafters to honor that match.

List of Registrants: http://tecmotourney.blogspot.com/p/list-of-registrants.html

Current bracket seedings: http://challonge.com/tomczak7

Edited by Beef Juice

Hoping to make this happen again. Had a blast last year. This will be the deciding factor, though: Will the same death metal, goth band take the stage after the tournament?!?!?! My losses to Louis and Justin Peters got me all tensed up. The mosh pit could work all that tension out again.

Hoping to make this happen again. Had a blast last year. This will be the deciding factor, though: Will the same death metal, goth band take the stage after the tournament?!?!?! My losses to Louis and Justin Peters got me all tensed up. The mosh pit could work all that tension out again.

Hahaha! I can't guarantee the same band but there's a very high likelihood that some sort of death metal will take the stage. Honestly, my hope, and the Nebraskas guys can back me up on this, I hope Janus comes back to play again.

Also I thought that huge bottle of beer you got at the Lava Lounge worked out the tension.

Edited by Beef Juice

Man I totally forgot about that Loser's bracket final between Chet and Mort.  13-13 and Mort returns the kick and runs out of bounds with a second or two on the clock to try one last play.  He decides to heave one last bomb in an effort to win and avoid overtime.  Instead Chet sacks him for the safety.  Game over, 15-13.

I don't know if you guys realized this when you picked the date, but this is the exact date of the 23rd anniversary of the release of Tecmo Super Bowl (Dec 13, 1991). I can't think of a better way of celebrating Tecmo's birthday than by attending this tournament. Pending any family emergencies, I should be there to defend my title. If everyone chips in a few bucks, we could buy a nice custom birthday cake for the event!

I don't know if you guys realized this when you picked the date, but this is the exact date of the 23rd anniversary of the release of Tecmo Super Bowl (Dec 13, 1991). I can't think of a better way of celebrating Tecmo's birthday than by attending this tournament. Pending any family emergencies, I should be there to defend my title. If everyone chips in a few bucks, we could buy a nice custom birthday cake for the event!

Awesome. I had no idea it was TSB's birthday.  I wonder if the game can get a free drink?

Hahaha! I can't guarantee the same band but there's a very high likelihood that some sort of death metal will take the stage. Honestly, my hope, and the Nebraskas guys can back me up on this, I hope Janus comes back to play again.

Also I thought that huge bottle of beer you got at the Lava Lounge worked out the tension.

They need to book Playing with Power out of Grand Rapids!

Its on the calendar, I'm going to try to make my first ever Tomschazhagkak bowl.  #yolo #blessed #thuglife

Hell yes you need to come.  If the Vogts and Buennagels are willing to trek that far for it, you have no excuse.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the entry list.

http://tecmotourney.blogspot.com/p/list-of-registrants.html

It's still early but we've got 13 registered already.

Also I've been discussing this year's trophy with Nick and we've got an idea for something pretty damn sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm, I'm wondering how long of a drive might it be for me coming from Louisiana, might be doable if I can find a ride buddy. But I'm definitely interested in attending.

Looks like between 15 and 16 hours, weather permitting of course. That's quite the haul but we'd be happy to have you come.

• 3 weeks later...

We're still over 2 months away and we've got 18 registered already.  I felt that was enough to start bracketing this baby.

http://challonge.com/tomczak7

I'm not putting any real target on how many competitors we'll have.  The past two years we've had right around 40-50 guys show up. I would anticipate we at least have over 30 for sure.  The weather can really effect turnout this time of year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey are you planning on keeping the same tiers as last year?

Good question. Typically I take a look at the results from the last tourney and make minor tweaks. I'll probably do that in the next month.

Edited by Beef Juice

Might be able to round up a buddy or 2 for the trip.  Their tecmo skill is like the 1980s WWF Jobbers.  So make sure they play me 1st rnd :)

MickeyJayJobber.jpg

Awesome. They'll fit in with our friends that always come and are pretty terrible at Tecmo.