AI 2 Point Attempts

DeBerg

Seems the A.I. is obsessed with going for 2 points when they score a TD if you are up by more than 7 points. If you start the game up 10-0, every time the A.I. scores, he's going to go for 2 unless he's getting a TD for the lead.

This rule also applies outside of the 7+ point lead. If you lead for that lone TD for longer than 1 quarter, when the computer scores, they will go for two points so randomly, rather than tying the game.

I've been toying with this for a while and this is the conclusion I come up with it.

Even if it's a tight game and you lead 7-0 for longer than 1 quarter, it don't matter when the COM scores, he's still going for two.

It's like they made the computer to be more aggressive in this game though the logic can be stupid if the two pointer fails (as it normally does) but from time to time you have some of those weird games that Tecmo always has, and the computer can beat the shit out of you starting with a come back from 7 points down, getting the two point conversion 8-7, and since the defenses in this game get turnovers more often, you can easily screw up and get your ass beat by the computer.

If only the computer always played better offense in this game (it is better on offense compared to older games, but still not a threat unless you're playing against a top tier offense like SF, Houston, or Miami), it would be like playing a juiced rom.

Despite the flaws to this game, I find the 2 point attempts to be hilarious.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I won a Super bowl with the 1992 Browns (I think they're a pretty decent team actually, and the Tecmo designers must've been psychic in knowing that Keenan McCardell would be a real good receiver) but here's the thing: I played the 49ers in the Super Bowl, and the most amazing thing is that they never attempted a 2 point conversion. The other amazing aspect is that I blocked a field goal, two extra points, and the holder was ran over on the other PAT (credit to M.D. Perry, who's the doctor of causing that sort of havoc. Not quite like Tecmo Bowl Lawrence Taylor, but Michael Dean does work). The final score was 30-18, with the browns scoring the final 23 points. Maybe this was a game the CPU should've thought about going for two!

• 10 months later...

Congrats to you. I have won a SB with the Browns before....They're an average team in the 1992 season but I always liked them cause of Mark Bavarro at TE and Rob Burnett on defense. When I played with the Browns, it was the pesky Bills who were always my problem in the playoffs. I could hammer any other AFC team and I even beat down the Cowboys in the SB, but the Bills would give me major fits. 

• 3 months later...

Update to this - 

When the COM is down by 7 points, they won't go for 2 points in the 1st quarter at least, sometimes. Of course, this don't happen every single time. 

Tested this multiple times now. I've had games up from 14-14, 21-21, 28-28 and for some odd reason, the weird 2 point conversion instead of a tie tends to happen more often in the second half of games, especially in the 4th quarter. 

Tested again late in the 1992 and 1993 seasons and strangely, in the later weeks of the season, the COM don't do the 2 point conversion thing at all in some games at any point. I've had the COM get touchdowns in the final minutes and kick extra points for a tie into OT, and not doing the 2 point conversion attempt it usually tries. (Also to note, the COM in this game plays juiced in the final weeks of the season. Even the worst teams will suddenly look like playoff teams against you).