The Slingshot Technique

Eric

I rarely call defensive audibles, so I didn't figure this out until now.  If you call a defensive audible vs. COM, they hike the ball immediately after your formation changes (unless they in turn change their play or unless you continue to scroll through players).  It appears that this movement counts toward your controlled player's climb to maximum speed.  So you can really slingshot yourself into COM's backfield if you go from Dime to Normal or Goal Line and you have a clear path (like the safety positions).

I wonder if this could help in certain situations... like beating the Rams on that one playbook where they have three downward runs.  I could slingshot Eric Allen into the backfield and dive tackle them before they get going perhaps.  They trample Rufus and the Saints to death with those.

You guys may have talked about this before, but I didn't catch on.  Shake and bake!

Edited by Eric

I toyed with this last night against the Rams with mixed results.

The play it worked best with was the toss to Leonard Russell.  I was using Dennis Smith and he was able to get to Russell and take him down quickly and easily.

I struggled with the Bettis run in T-formation.  Dennis was almost going TOO fast, I had trouble maneuvering him through defenders and into Bettis.  The key is to dive tackle Bettis if you can, because if you grapple there is a guy right there to knock you off.

Surprisingly, I had the most trouble with the Chris Miller roll-out from that T-formation.  Again, I had trouble getting used to going so fast compared with everyone else on the field and hitting a moving target (even though I know what his path will be).  I had three shots at him.  All three times I audibled from Dime to Normal.  The first time I just plain whiffed, but fortunately Miller overthrew Alexander Wright on the post pattern.  The next two times I grappled Miller, but I was instantly knocked off by an OL.  Both times Miller went back to Wright and nobody was covering.  Both went for 50-yd receptions.

I think it's going to take some practice, but in the right situations it can blow up a play that otherwise is tough to defend.  But like with the Miller roll-out, failure to execute can be deadly.

I've got Carolina coming up soon.  I'm going to see if I can grapple Barry Foster before he receives that delayed pitch.

• 9 months later...

One of my buddies did this constantly on defense. He'd call the dime, select a safety, and then audible to the goalline. His safety was *blazing* fast and the ball was usually snapped right as he approached the line. He put up great numbers, but ultimately he couldn't beat my own defensive records (overall). His passing defense was ridiculous, though, so I want to say that if he was better at stopping the run generally, he might've beaten me.

• 1 month later...

So I recently spent some time trying this technique out and I found a couple of things for this.

This is really awesome against pass plays cause you can hit the QB really quick for the sack... but against a lot of runs, you just get picked up.

More often though, the computer audibles in response to your audible and your guys become stationary and ruin the slingshot.

Another thing I noticed was that the computer defensive players would get more and more psycho as the game went on while doing this every play. LIke, somehow by using the slingshot it would ramp up the speed factors of the computer drones somehow. Which really made this counterproductive.