SNES TecmoSuperBowl 3 - TrainingCamp

KaznGmack

I haven't seen one out yet so here it is. All teams, all players are up to date. I will continue to update through out the preseason. Key Raven and Titan players are in the Free Agent pool. This is a rough draft so any one who wants sto tinker with it, be my guest. Please give feeedback whether good or bad. I know this rom has its limitations so remember, I do these for fun. If anyone has a way to improve it, please do so and post in this thread. Other than that, ENJOY!

Tecmo Super Bowl III 14-15 TrainingCamp.smc -.smc

No Problem. Any feedback on what U think about it?

I like it. Not too many complaints other then minor (personal preference) depth chart moves. I really like the added speed to the players, a much needed addition to TSBIII

Where's the free agent pool? I never knew about such feature...

Edited by theskawks

The Free Agent Pool is available when you choose to do the Trade Mode season option. Word is if U win the SuperBowl 3 times in a row on with trade season you will unlock lengendary players. Thanks to everyone who is enjoying this rom. I plan to have it more tuned by the time the regular season starts.

When you start a season as MAN, you get three rounds of trading with other teams, after which you go to the free agent pool. In the original version, that's where Deion was, ostensibly because he was a FA at the time the rosters were finalized. There is a full 37 (?)-man roster in the pool, essentially a 31st team. If you win three Super Bowls in a row, then it unlocks another full roster of HOFers, thus doubling the size of the pool. SKP teams also do free agent transactions, which makes replayability higher in this TSB than any other for me. One time the Panthers signed who was obviously Joe Montana, and they were the only CPU team I couldn't beat, even using my own roster of players.

And this doesn't even include the players you can create and improve yourself, Baseball Stars-style. (These guys replace existing players, though, so I use free agency to make the scrubbiest team possible, then create players on top of those. Makes the overall talent higher in the league.)

Oh, and Deion is the only player I left in the free agent pool. All lengendary players attributes were not updated, only their names. Maybe when I finish the final product by the start of the regular season, I will change them to give it a different feel.

Ok... doing this review live as I flip through the game :)

First question... Did you do anything to change the rom, other than update players and their base attributes? I noticed the Oilers are still active first.

Next thing I did was review playbooks, lineup formations, things like that. They're all identical, which is fine, since they're all fully customizable while playing, but were I making a complete "new" rom that is something I'd want to see.

Next I went through most of the rosters in the game. Now, I didn't compare this (via spreadsheet) to the original game, but some things I did notice. Kaepernick has 50 ms... Which I've discussed with various people in regards to building a rom like this, with the advent of qb running in the nfl today, and I'd have to see him in action, which I'll be doing shortly. But, as a QB, Kaepernick is essentially a faster version of Randall (his 63 50 50 passing is only marginally lower than Randalls 63 56 56)... I'm not sure Kaep deserves that kind of boost. While I do accept he is likely deserving of the highest rushing stats of any qb in the NFL right now.

The next thing I noticed was that agility is generally really low on offensive players. This includes RBs and WRs, and WR generally can get pretty high in the base game.

I did notice that many teams have a 50+ ms RB, which isn't horrible, but with the league not really focused on rushing much anymore, and maybe the players aren't as good, or whatever, I'm not sure that as many RBs should be that fast. Though I did notice this was held mostly to starters.

I did think that the 49ers offense was a bit overrated across the board though. Crabtree and Boldin have 69 receptions, Frank Gore, whom I love as a football player, is probably much better than he should be at this point in his career, and in comparison to other RBs in the game.

I think BB is probably underutilized at RB, especially on a guy like Lesean McCoy who is kind of the pinnacle of what BB is to a RB at this point.

Overall though, this is the best updated tsb3 I've seen yet. Having complete rosters is nice to see, and you clearly put a good amount of time into the stats.

Did you update any of the background values for players in the game? What did you use to edit the rom?

Just started a season to test out Kaep... and i'm looking through FA... WHOA...

Deion was dropped from 290 fa pts, to 40... then many/most of the guys in FA are either way over priced or way under priced. Not really seeing a rhyme or reason for the numbers there.

Playing through my first game and i'm noticing some weird anomalies in game play. On defense, generally when the ball is thrown, the computer will take control of your player and guide him to where the pass is going, it's not doing that for me on this rom. Generally, after scoring a receiving TD, if you stop in the end zone, you cannot continue to move again, but on this for whatever reason, I could. On defense, I'm getting blown up by blockers when using defenders with really high HP. Not your general bump from a blocker, but actually running into a blocker, in this case, the situation was Mark Ingram making Patrick Willis his bitch. Then the next quarter doing the same to Eric Reid while he was in excellent.

Not sure why these things would be happening.

Having used Kaepernick now, I don't know that I'd say he's broken at 50ms... but I will say that I felt invincible on offense with him at the helm. Down and distance almost didn't matter. You can turn almost any pass play into a 15-yard run without any real skill involved. Then the combination of Gore and Hyde, with Crabtree, Boldin and Davis... with every one of them being amazing. I think they're easily the best offensive team in the game, without doing any statistical comparisons. Having looking at Seattle and Denver as well.

Tecmo Super Champion. Firstly, I appreciate your feedback and will consider your points and others as I tune it for the regular season. Secondly, like I've said before, I do this with the intent of satisfying me own Tecmo itch. I haven'y seen A TSB3 rom recently and felt since I have the time to do it for myself. Once I was done, I knew that I should share it because it just felt good. This and the other two roms I've done are my first and I plan on doing more in the future. As for your questioins, here are the answers:

1) I dont do anything graphically to the roms. I like to keep the old feeling and I dont have the programs to do complete make overs.

2) I made Body Balance & Agility low because I read an article here which said those attributes are responsible for things such as spinning and jumping which I felt made the play too easy.

3) I see your opinion about the 49ers. I just beleive they have they most talent of any team in the league.The Broncos and Seahawks aren't far behind.

4) I used TSB3manager to edit this rom, and to add to the FAPs, I tried to adjust that once and it ruined the rom. Thats why I don't try to do anything I don't know about to the rom because I want to keep the integrity of the main gameplay.

5) The overall speed of most players in the league is higher than the original. I did use a spreadsheet I found here that had every players statistical attributes. I didin't want guys going much faster than the original (You wont find anyone faster than Bo Jackson on O or Lawerence Taylor on D), but I wanted it to be a little faster. As you play thru the season the computer gets harder and you wil see a difference as you begin the playoffs. I wanted the teams to have a feeling of if one guy goes down, its wont affect your whole gameplan.

6) I've tested a few teams out myself against the three you pointed out (SF,DEN, SEA) and others.I found Denver being a beast on offense. The Redskins with RG3, Morris, Jackson, Garcon and Reed is pretty lethal too. Each team has enough fire power to beat any other team depending on the skill of the player.

6) As far as the blocking is concerned, I have not ran into that issue yet. I used players with 69 HP on Excellent and found myself blowing up plays making tackles. The only other thing I've noticed is how RBs can throw me off of them more often which I think is cool because it brings another element of gameplay that wasn't there. Ingram bucking Willis isn't far fetched in reality because anything can happen which I think it makes this rom have its own feel.

I am curently playing a test season with the Redskins at 9-0. I almost lost a close one against Denver. I can tell the defense is getting faster so I assume it will be much tougher in the playoffs as I remember the original being. Once again any and all feedback is greatly appreciated as I will consider all points when completing the final rom at the start of the season.

Hey man... I appreciate the work you're doing. Love that you're putting the effort into making the rom. It's awesome. I was just giving you my thoughts on what I noticed between your build and the base TSB3 game.

Based on some of your comments above (specifically in regards to Bo and LT), it seems like you're trying to build this version to be more like nes TSB and not tsb3 itself.

The spreadsheet you mentioned exists for both TSB3 and nes TSB. I can repost it here if you need it. I call it the Book of Armaments. It is the tool I use for calculating how good players are, how good teams are.

But nerfing BB/AGI kind of limits the game. Those abilities are counterable in play style. As long as when you're making things you don just go the wrong way and give everyone 60+ in both stats.

Either way, I look forward to seeing your finished product.

TecmoSuperChampion, dont get me wrong, I dont have any issues with your comments, in fact in order to make a more polished version, feedback is neccessary. I already have The book of A. for TSB3. Thats what I've been using just as a sort of foundation, but I want the game to have its own feel. As I play thru my test season and preseason games I will see what adjustments to make but honestly so far, I wont make any major changes other than the final rosters and attributes according to preseason performance. Whatever issues or improvements anyone would like to make, feel free to do so. TSB3m is what I used so U can do whatever your heart desires for this rom. Just know that i will take the time to update and revise the rom according to feedback and what I see fit in order to maintain the integrity of the game while giving it its own feel.   

• 1 month later...