Tecmo Ohio Meet-up: A Marv Cookout 5/17/14

Woodshed

Jimsocks and I are going to host a Tecmo cookout on 5/17/14 in Jackson, OH for anyone who would like to participate. I'll be grilling out Mecklenburgers, Howie Footlongs and some corn on the Reggie Cobb, Merriweather permitting. Anyone who wants to play can crash at my house if need be, because I'm sure most of us will be drinking. I have a spare bedroom and couch space for whoever calls dibs. Bring an air mattress and camp in the backyard if you want. I don't care. We'll make room somewhere. There are hotels around if you'd rather go that route.

Jackson is located about 40 min south of Chillicothe. I'd like to get as many systems going at once as we can, so if you plan on coming post on here and let me know what equipment you can bring. I'll pm you my number and address and give you all the details once we finalize everything. Hope to see you in May.

What's on a Mecklenburger?

Since it's a burger named after the Vanilla Gorilla all the toppings are white. Swiss cheese, onions, white mushroom sauce. Maybe some horseradish or some egg whites if you're feeling crazy.

This is under 2 hours for me. I'm gonna definitely try to be there. I'll let you know.

We'd love to see ya there. For sure me, Jimsocks and Yofer are confirmed. I texted Burgard and he said he's very interested and would try to round up some people to come. Spread the word.

The last Mecklenburger I had was covered with melted swiss, cole slaw, and thousand island dressing....delicious! Even better than the Arch Deluxe if I remember.

All Howie Footlongs will have the skin shaved off the top, just like Howie's trademark buzz cut, and with the optional "Broken Arrow" mustard. 

And if that doesn't get your mouth watering, my wife will be baking her homemade Deron Cherry pie.

I really hope Diazz can make it, not just because he's a great guy, but I really want him to put that beard on the line. I'll bring my clippers and Brutus the Barber Beefcake music just in case.

So if you're free that weekend (5/17) and wanting to cut loose while playing the greatest video game of all time, make the trip. Maybe throw in some money games and goofball prizes. Come for the Tecmo, stay for the free food and beer.

Edited by JimSocks13

• 3 weeks later...

Ha! I feel for ya Matt.

Luckily I only live 5 minutes away and the wife plans to attend. This is like my Midwest experience for this year since I won't be able to make it to Cincy. Got another boy on the way thats due right around time for Midwest. I guess you could say I mistimed that JJ.

Hope you can make it, plenty of room to stay here or there if need be.

Edited by JimSocks13

We are a week away from the meet-up and just wanted to give an update. If you are interested, contact myself or Woodshed and we will PM or text you the info. This is located in Jackson, Ohio. 1.5 hours from Columbus, maybe 2 hours at most from Cincy, and 4 hours from Cleveland. There are several hotels in the area for pretty cheap. Or if you'd like to save money, you are more than welcome to stay at either of our houses. 

Plan on starting the Tecmo around 2:00, this way we can get some games in and then fire up the grill around 4ish. Bring your appetite, seeing how my wife is not thrilled about making her Deron Cherry Pie, we will substitute my favorite drink, the Deron Cherry Coke Float, (rum not optional)

Any mini-tournaments are up to whoever shows up, nothing formal. We could do a traditional double elimination, a king of the hill style, or even team based tourney. However, we will be sticking with the Marv-Cook-out theme for the prizes. Most prizes will be based on iconic figures named Marv.

Prizes are pictured below, with the still in box starting line-ups going with the winners.

The winner of the "That Bites" award will be the Tecmoer who catches the most unlucky break. He will win the certified Marv Albert autographed piece of NBA hardwood along with the Marv Albert and Ralph Macchio trading cards.

There will also be a "Home Alone" (again hence Marv) entertainment prize and maybe a Marv Cook autograph (if it gets here in time)

">http://oafcsBt.jpg

Hope to see you guys there!

Just bumping this. If you don't have shit to do Saturday, come on down.

The possibility of going home with a Ralph Macchio hockey card should be reason enough to drive an hour or 2.

Mini tourney idea- Since Ralph was in My Cousin Vinny, every matchup has to feature the Bucs. Winner gets the card.

A quick recap of Saturday's festivities.

A good time was had by all. Well almost everyone, one Tecmoer left without warning after losing four straight games.

Weather was a bit chilly but not enough to stop the Tecmo from being played outdoors. The Mecklin-burgers and Howie 'foot' Longs were delicious, hats off to the chef. And Tecmo Super Bowl was not the only exciting sporting event going on, as 3 rousing games of croquet went down to the wire.

Congrats to Woodshed on winning the tournament, as well as a few side bets late that night.

I did take home the Marv Albert "that bites" award during the championship game. The Browns are up 14-7 with 1:30 to go in the game. 4th and 5 for the Packers, Woodshed tosses a deep one to the end zone, no JJ but a double coverage catch, that ties the game. Then on the ensuing kickoff, Kevin Mack decides to stick to true Cleveland form and fumble the kickoff for a return TD by GB, game over 21-14.

The other exciting game was the Bucs vs Den game for the My Cousin "Vinny" title. The Ralph Macchio trading card had everyone on the edge of their seat. A turnover-less Broncos took advantage of a late Anderson fumble and then rode Bobby to victory.

Can't wait for the next one!

post-12840-0-44406600-1400526646_thumb.p