Question...31 team 1998 Rom

Hi guys,

I’m new to the community, so I thought I’d post here since I’ve been spending the last couple of weeks getting familiar and figuring out how to tackle my idea. First off, here’s my idea; I’m looking to create a 1998 ROM

Through my initial investigation, I’ve been looking around at what exists and so far I’ve only found 28 team roms that use a combo of either the Browns/Ravens/Jags/Panthers.  Ideally, someone built or I could build  a Rom that includes the 31 teams.

Does anyone know if there is a Rom out there for the 1998/99/00 season?

If not, here’s what I’m thinking would need to be done to build one.

Take 32 ROM (thinking of the existing 2007 rom)

·         Re-order teams into their appropriate team conferences (AFC: East, Central, West/ NFC: East, Central, West)

·         Remove the Houston Texans

·         Re-do schedule to reflect 1998

Rebuild Roster

·         Sim data update (team preferences)

·         Playbooks

·         Rosters

Tweak Uni’s

Add in some of the newer features like fixing the Kick Returner, add overtime winner, possibly make the AI smarter?

I completely get that my eyes may be bigger than my stomach, so I’m also asking if anyone has thoughts on my idea or some best practices to follow?

Thanks for your input!

All the info you need for those tweaks can be found here:

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9725-directory-of-hacking-docs-updated-05162010-knobbe/

Pambazos also wrote in detail how to go about removing teams...if you're thinking about using a 32 team ROM and eliminating 1 team.

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/54998-removing-teams-from-a-rom

With the right tools, Roster, Playbooks, Unis and Sim values are fairly easy.

Does anyone know if there is a Rom out there for the 1998/99/00 season?

If not, here’s what I’m thinking would need to be done to build one.

Take 32 ROM (thinking of the existing 2007 rom)

·         Re-order teams into their appropriate team conferences (AFC: East, Central, West/ NFC: East, Central, West)

·         Remove the Houston Texans

·         Re-do schedule to reflect 1998

I am almost certain there was a 2000 season rom with 30 Teams with 3 Divisions per conf. around here somewhere. (I searched some posts, but I just couldnt find it)

If someone can point to a direction to this 30-Teams rom, it would be really appreciated.

Now, If you want to create a 31 teams rom (by removing the Texans) you will find some issues when trying to re-arrange the 3 NFC Divisions, because of the Standings' screen, which means you will need to have a Division with 6 teams.

Yes, you can easily remove the Texans, the way The Raja explained in his thread: The easiest way to remove teams from a rom, is starting either from the teams at the top or at the bottom. (in this case the Team to be removed is in the AFC, so you would be starting with the first/top team: The Bills) Then move all teams´data 1 slot down to fit the new setup (to include all the screens/menus of the game).

post-9389-0-83557500-1397680051_thumb.pnpost-9389-0-55038500-1397680042_thumb.pnpost-9389-0-77583900-1397680062_thumb.pn

However you would still need to make some "graphic tweaks" in order to have a correct Standings screen with only 3 teams (taken from jstouts rom). Anyway this New setup still can not represent the 2000 season (with 3 divisions).

Probably the hardest thing to do then, will be Re-schedule, to reflect the season you want to.  But if you use the TSB-TOOL, you will get this done in no time.

I dont know if you can have a Division with 6 teams at all, but here is a rom with 31 Teams (Texans being removed):

TSB 2007-31.nes *First 9 TEAMS have been moved 1 slot down. ( first team is unreachable now , but its data is still there)

I am almost certain there was a 2000 season rom with 30 Teams with 3 Divisions per conf. around here somewhere. (I searched some posts, but I just couldnt find it)

If someone can point to a direction to this 30-Teams rom, it would be really appreciated.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 30 team rom before although my memory isn't what it used to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments.  Per you Rom with the Texans removed, should I rename each team to fit their new slot?  

For example in your rom, the Bills roster is under the dolphins team name. What would I be screwing up if I made updated the teams.  so team 1 is named texans (the removed team) and team one formally the dolphins, renamed to be the Bills?

thanks again for the feedback. 

If you wanted to make some new Rosters (using TSB TOOL) , Yes you must start inputting data from the Dolphins. FIRST  8 TEAMS were moved 1 slot down.

Team showed as Dolphins on the TSB TOOL will be Team 00 (Bills in the rom). (dont even bother to modify the data of the team showed as the Bills, since that data wont be showed while playing the game) You must finish editing by inputting the data from the Colts over the team showed as Texans. (Texans' data will be overwritten, so yes you can place their data over the first team if you like..)

• 3 months later...

So I know its been a while since my last post, but I thought I'd post my rosters that I had been working on.  originally I was going to work on a 31 team, but that quickly turned into working on a 28 team 99-01' version of Tecmo.  Take it for a spin, I think the rosters are pretty balanced and so far its been a lot of fun to play.  thanks again for all of your help!

98-00 Rosters Final.zip

• 5 months later...

So, if you can remove teams, then can you add them, as well? Well, at least enough to make 30 team Roms to cover the 95-98 seasons? Seeing that you can remove teams and knowing that there are two spaces available in the AFC Central and NFC West, in theory it looks like you can make at least six 5 team divisions, anyway.

So, if you can remove teams, then can you add them, as well? Well, at least enough to make 30 team Roms to cover the 95-98 seasons? Seeing that you can remove teams and knowing that there are two spaces available in the AFC Central and NFC West, in theory it looks like you can make at least six 5 team divisions, anyway.

Removing teams from a 32 team rom should be easier than adding them to a 28 team rom.

• 2 years later...