TecmoX - Poppin my Madison "Deron" Cherry (THE EPIC)

kamphuna8

This is my recap of my tecmo pilgrimage to THE tournament of tournaments, Tecmo Madison v10.0 The Gannonball Run.

(sorry it's taken so long, but I came home to a sick wife, daughter AND mom-in-law, and then ended up sick and delirious myself, only coming out of it today)

I had spent a couple Saturdays leading up to TecmoX rassling up some mayhem at Manyo's in preparation, and felt very good about where my game was at as a result. The days leading up to leaving, I had a void of playing games online, not on purpose, as I held out for league games and had a busy couple of days prepping for the voyage, and couldn't match time with opponents.

My wife was very supportive even though she would be very happy if I dropped tecmo altogether, and she knew how much making this trip to the Tecmo Tourney Mecca meant to me. I had made promises online that I would be at TecmoIX but the birth of our first child, my daughter Josie, post-8428-0-66515700-1394874988_thumb.pnin February made the choice easy for me that I would be watching the live stream for the 3rd straight year. And each year, the presentation was better than ever. After watching the end of TecmoIX (we had friends over that day so I really only caught the end of the tourney), I laid the groundwork for punching my ticket to Madison for TecmoX, by getting the boss on board with me going the next year.

The 2 months leading up to TecmoX were wrought with nervous anticipation for the experience of a lifetime. Playing and watching tecmo alongside so many guys I've built relationships with over the last couple of years, and partaking in the Madison experience in general. I was just as excited for the tecmo to be had on Friday night as I was for the Saturday throwdowns itself.

My flight left SeaTac on Friday afternoon and touched down early in Chicago, which worked out perfectly time wise for my ride to pick me up. Here's a pic from the plane as I'm arriving showing what a frozen tundra Lake Michigan is 

post-8428-0-07223700-1394875770_thumb.jp

I had the pleasure to ride from ChicagoLand to Madison with the Michigan set, the O Brothers, O'Dell and O'Toole. I couldn't have asked for a better pair of guys to usher me to my first Madison. Giddy with anticipation that arriving at the Super 8 was only a couple of hours away, we chatted about life and tecmo, and it was so cool to be able to be in their company. After a stop at the Ginger Burger Chain, some Ill Communication was cued up and I was getting more and more pumped. Arriving to Madison was a bit anticlimactic initially as we took a couple of wrong turns trying to navigate our way to the Super 8 on Hayes with dwindling E-Navigator juice. BUT WE MADE IT!

My roomies, Manyo and Coco were at the Badger Bowl, as was my brothafromanothamotha DiAZZhole hisself. We got to the O'Crew's room and I received intel from Derek aka tecmopsycho that a welcoming tecmo beacon was a couple floors up in 315, where the Midwest contingent was preparing a Chrysler T&C tourney. We ran into Joey V on the way upstairs, who had an impressive run of games on the drive to Madtown, and then... Wow. I was very excited to meet Derek and Jon (daboy) who I've had plenty of chats with, and Chris Vogt just bleeds brotherhood as well. Aaron Hake and Matty were in there too, and it was really great to put a face to the names. These guys are all cool as shit and it was a pleasure to hang out tecmo style with them. Chris hugs me, Jon and Derek shake my hand and we're all just grinning. Matty was on the other side of the room trying to beat a TCS deadline on a shitty connection, and Aaron and I break the ice a bit later (sorry I didn't sooner, I was kind of in tecmobrotherhood over stimulation). I wish I had taken a pic.

Jon and later Aaron get in on some FG challenge action, showing off their keeker skills and Chris sets up the live stream of the Chrysler T & C challenge. I finally pop my live vs online cherry vs Matty, the guy I had probably played the most recently online in an OT Mia-Chi affair. We played a tight game where he was able to utilize a blocked FG Kicker scoop and score on his way to a 21-14 victory. I get word a few minutes later that the Coco Manyo punks are back at the Super 8 and I make my way down to the 134.

I arrive and it's just smelling awesome in there (was that Axe body spray?). I get to meet Coco in person and we're hitting it off and all of a sudden, a room of 3 just morphed into a room of like 13. Mort was like the first to show up, and after some brief introductions, it took us no time to agree to play. I don't remember the matchup, but I do remember getting a fumble to get the edge and then getting another fumble to seal it late. Meanwhile the tecmoers keep streaming in. Jim Socks was one, along with Woodshed. I had a fun game with Jim Socks. I got lucky as QB Bills missed like 3 open receivers in the back of the end zone to give me the ball late and help me pull out a Giants Bills slugfest. Very cool dudes. Joey Gats makes his way in and I didn't see him play much that night, but he had held his own at the Badger Bowl vs Chet and he was very quiet yet very friendly.  My main man Diaz shows up, and a big old bear hug proceeded (no homo!) and I mean shit, there was a ton of guys in there.

I think I lost a game and thus my spot in the games (or maybe I just left) and headed back up to 315 to see what was going on with the Chrysler T & C tourney. When I got there Ryan Stewart was there, I think Kevin Cabarello too (how did I not introduce myself to you this weekend?) as well as a couple of Elite Eight tecmoers from TecmoIX from Kiel, Lucas and Jeff I believe? Hey Ryan, I'm better at introducing myself than you :P #whothefuckareyouguys?

I got to play Derek in the tourney, and he waxed me, racking up a ton of rushing yards with Byner after getting a stop on my first drive. I bombed it a bunch to score some TDs, but I had no answer for his O that game. And thus ended my (tuck tail and?) run in the Chrysler T & C tourney.

I headed back to the 134 for some more tecmo action. The Michigan O'Crew eventually found their way down there, and so did Mort's brother Louis. Let me just say I was excited also to meet these two guys, the Buennagel brothers. Like the Vogts, these guys are the epitome of brothers in tecmo arms. I am so impressed with them and how they just made the Gats to Madison thing happen. Big BIG props to both of you. A real pleasure to meet you face to face and to play together.

I got to play my man Diazz in a Pitt Dallas Matchup. I'm pretty sure I got to be Pitt and gave Sir Mattrick Swayze his lone loss of Friday Tecmo. The Blue Moon and a trip to the bathroom area left me a little foggy for what happened the rest of the night. All I know is I wanted to play more, and this was after Manyo had just beaten me twice (and he was running on fumes I'm sure) the 2nd one a 24-0 blowout that I was not wanting to end my night with, but it was 2:30 and the tournament was early. So bed it was.

Woke up early on Saturday wanting to make sure I wasn't late. Felt kind of like crap (hello captain obvious #consequences) but a shower helped that a bit. After retrieving my NES from the 315, we eventually embarked on our way to the Badger Bowl, with the Man, the Myth, the Legend Segathon sharing the back seat of Coco's ride with me. Another guy I was pretty pumped to meet. Sega might have some rare sightings for games at times, but he always brings it with his posts, and I for one would love to participate in an actual Segathon as well!

We get to the Badger Bowl and holy crap the parking lot is seemingly already full. I check in for the tourney and find out where I'm supposed to play and just meet a ton of tecmo brothers, including the Miller brothers, as I first meet Kyle and then Matt, two guys I've had a ton of online rivalries with, as well as shared a lot of words with, re: tecmo and life. Really great to finally meet you guys as well. As we wait for group play to commence, I watch Regulator and Gats battle a matchup involving Detroit and maybe San Diego, maybe Miami? It took me a bit to figure out who was who as my Tecmo OCD kicks in (player 1 SHOULD sit to the left of player 2!) which it seemed like the Holzy brothers seemed to stick to, while a lot of players broke my secret code of tecmo Obsessive Compulsive honor. Anyway, I find out that Gats was Detroit and he handed Regulator his only loss of the day (that I could tell), in a tight one. Ryan Stewart was there too and we fired up a game after, but then it was time for group play and we cut it off pretty early. Time for some Madison Action!

Game 1 was vs a very friendly dude named Matt. He was from Missouri and had been to Madison a couple times before as well as some other tourneys. He picked a Cincy SD matchup and I went with SD, liking the better speed at RB and WR, and a bit more options on D. He wins toss and kicks. I get the ball and drive. I'm down to his 10 and running along the bottom sideline with Billy Joe Tolliver when... FUMBLE! Of course it bounces in bounds and is recovered by the Bengals. I am able to recover however, somehow getting Leslie O'Neal to get a pick off of Boomer. Back in business. I drive, get a score. Then Matt beats me cheating a little too short and ties it up on a nice pass, 7 up. My next possession, it happens again, I suffer the dreaded jealousy. I'm able to hold for a FG. Getting the ball back, I got a dive play started but a drone from the bottom beats his man and meets me in the hole. In comes Fulcher and he separates Butts from the ball, it's picked up by Cincy and housed. 17-7 just like that. Trying to keep my cool, I try to set up a good hail mary attempt with Vlasic, but it's no good. 2nd half starts with Cincy getting the ball. Boomer tests the waters deep and the Chargers secondary makes him pay with an INT. I go to change Billy Joe back in and check the conditions when another guy (in our group I believe) starts saying something about only checking/changing players twice per game. I'm not dawdling as I'm checking and changing, but this had an effect later in the game. To Matt's credit, he said it didn't matter to him. As I learned through the day, he's a very cool dude, and was hanging around all day, filming much of the elite 8 games on his camera.

Back to the game. I make the INT count and score, cutting the lead to 17-14. Then force a 4th and short in his own territory and he decides to punt (I'm thankful for this). Unfortunately I fumble it away again. Matt scores and pushes the lead to 24-14, and we're in the 4th quarter. I'm a bit in shock. My best bet is to put Butts at WR (and in the future I will) but I'm only able to manage 10 yards at a time with Billy Joe running as the Bengals focus is on Butts the runner and down to almost 2 minutes left, and getting desperate with time, I need to take some chances. The first chance is picked off by Fulcher, no surprise and my hopes of pulling this game out evaporates. I congratulate Matt on a good game and wander off and around in a state of disbelief.

I've got a while to wait, and I get nothing but support and encouraging words from just a ton of guys. I'm pretty sure I meet Boud at this time and we commiserate for a bit. And I try to separate my mind from what just happened tecmowise and try to approach the rest of my group play with steely reserve. The winners played out of turn according to alphabetical order, so I had to wait a little bit longer than expected to play again. I checked my man Manyo and saw some of his first game. Here's a pic of either his 2nd or 3rd game. 

post-8428-0-23264400-1394881339_thumb.jp

Witnessed the Orenga Posse. Here it looks like Orenga is telling me to eat shit (not sure if this was his game 1 loss)

post-8428-0-60888700-1394881665_thumb.jp

Stopped by and introduced myself to Dave Murray (you rock man, thanks so much for what you do and did for those of us that are at home during Madison, the evolution of the stream is incredible!). And then BRUDDOG comes up and introduces himself. I was so glad to meet Bruddog as well, we've had some epic late night chat sessions and he's done so much for us online garbage players (AND CONTINUES TO DO SO!) I really can't thank him enough. It was great to shake his hand, and eventually made good on buying him a beer. He was insistent on buying round 2, but I eventually declined (I only had a couple beers on the day, kind of still hung over from Friday Night Lights)

Here's a pic from where Dave was sitting and streaming and you can see Bruddog, Mort and Chris Vogt all in game.

post-8428-0-62874600-1394881791_thumb.jp

Finally I get to game 2 after a looooong wait. I play a guy named Jeremy. He was another cool dude, and again I lost the toss. He offered up GB and the Jets. I went with the better D in NY. This was an ugly affair. He scored first, getting a FG. I got a TD after we traded possessions I think. To end the first half, he lined up the FG, I blocked it, and then his kicker picked it up! I had visions of my Matty V Chrysler loss running through my head as he zigged and zagged, but somehow, the Jets corralled him near the 5 to avert disaster. The 2nd half was all ugly. I actually got a FG blocked and MY KICKER housed it for the final score. Both offenses sucked, and I grinded to a 14-3 win. There was much relief though, as I was able to get a W and walk a slip up to the table. This I think was where I actually introduced myself to Dave M.

Game 3 was one where I won a toss. Not really having a great plan for picking matchups this early, I went with Wash Minny, and my opponent Johnny (Johnny Tecmo)  took Wash. Johnny's been to every Tecmo Madison but the 1st, and his resume includes wins over Louis B (redsethut) and Flo, as well as a 6 point loss to Regulator. I was able to get the turnovers with the Viking D and Hershel did most of the damage en route to a 24-14 W (my memory of this one is the most hazy).

While waiting to see who my next opponent was, I watched the Winner's bracket final between Matt (Heechy) and Edwin (Technical Difficulty) who had traveled with his brother and friends all the way from NY, arriving at 1am in the morning on Saturday. They played a tight one, with a Jets and SD, and watching it unfold, and seeing Heechy pull it out, I started thinking a bit about how I might try to beat Edwin if I got to that point, as I noticed he was trying to run around the offset toss play vs Butts, instead of under the blockers. Anyway, the next game was to decide who I would play next, and it was a matchup between Matt (who had beaten me in game 1) and Ross (the Passion and the Fire). If that's not a great nickname I don't know what is. Ross pulled out a tight one, 10-7 with Washington over San Diego, scoring a late TD and preserving it with the D.

Gametime vs Ross came and he won the toss, picking KC CIN. I just have a dislike for Cincy, mostly due to the lack of speed at the Receiving positions, so I went with KC. Then I proceeded to pick the dumbest playbook ever, using the two proset sweep plays, which were totally ineffective as Ross won the taps vs me. I don't know what it is, but I know I should go offset vs Cincy (unless I'm detroit). Anyway, it was a struggle throughout. I got one key breakaway with Okoye to end one of the quarters (the 3rd I think) and utilized Deberg to Paige in true garbage fashion to pull out a 17-7 win that was closer than the final score, much closer. That was a great game Ross.

So it's on to the win and your in, also the 4th straight lose and you're out game for me. I win the toss and think of a matchup that I could run offset offense with both teams and go Jets Dallas, hoping he'd pick NY like he did in the SD Jets matchup heechy offered. He didn't, but I'm cool with it, thinking I can utilize the offset and get the inevitable LVP throws from Aikman into the Jets coverage that should make the Cowboys pay. Well, it started out pretty tight I believe, we might have traded possessions with no scores, or maybe I turned it over then he scored a FG. Then I screwed the pooch. Offset pass 2, I have an easy dumpoff to RB over the middle but double tap and throw it to the covered RB at the bottom of the screen and of course the Dallas D picks it off! Edwin is able to take the lead into halftime and get the ball back. Early in the 2nd half, Gats is there, Odell is there, I'm feeling the support from my tecmo brethren, but I can't get the tecmo gods to side with me in this one. I'm able to get Edwin to throw a couple of passes into coverage, but they just bounce away harmlessly and he eventually is able to score, forcing me to get desperate and force it to Al Toon, but he didn't catch it once and I have to accept the fate pretty early in the 4th that my day of competition is over as I suffer through a 31-7 loss, in which by all means, I was outplayed. I got to talking to Edwin's brother Edward and we exchanged numbers and talked tecmo, which was great therapy after the disappointment of not advancing to the bracket. Edwin played Joeygats in the round of 64 and won after Joey made a couple of poor choices (not exchanging the controller [i wasn't much help, I'll admit at the time] and then not punting late when it was tied and near his own end zone). Edwin then went on to play Matty V and I saw Matty chatting them up a lot after the game, giving him a lot of props.

So for final words of my Madison play before moving on to my Madison spectatorship, I got 3 words. Grinding not grooving. I can't expect to do much better if I don't play better, although the losing 4 fumbles in the first game was kind of a shock to the system.

On to the Bracket!

Man, all of a sudden there's just a ton of games going on and I don't know what to pay attention to. I'm perusing and then I hear Manyo is taking on the Orenga Posse. Boom, gotta be there. If there's anything that can take your mind off of a disappointing showing at your first Madison, it's watching your homeboy take on the Orenga Posse in Madtown! WITH a side of Sega with some inspirational words about a certain BSD.

post-8428-0-77675000-1394882436_thumb.jp

Unfortunately, Manyo did not heed the warning to not give Orenga the Rams and paid the ultimate price. My other 134 mate Coconuts did however take on the Orenga Posse and emerged victorious. One of my biggest regrets is not getting to see more of Josh's incredible Elite 8 run. Vs Orenga I couldn't get to a spot where I could see. I did see most of the end of the game vs Bruddog on the big screen, especially the dagger Whiskey Wade to AC JJ late with a 3 point lead that all but sealed it. While watching this I was kind of hovering around O'Toole playing a game that earlier he seemed to have in the bag, but as you know in tecmo, that can quickly turn for the worse, and all of a sudden he's losing late in the game, but pulled it out with a decently long pass (non bomb) to an open CHI WR (BURNER ALERT!) and he pulled it out. Luckily I was able to help stop a tragedy when Edwin's brother darn near walked right between the players and the TV, probably tripping over the controllers and knocking over the system. I had earlier watched a bit of Daboy vs Josh H and Chet vs Derek Psycho, and Louis' Dal Pitt Matchup in the same round. The theme is, even if you're there THERE'S JUST TOO DAMN MUCH TECMO TO KEEP ABREAST OF! Also too damn many tecmoers to meet in one day. As many guys as I finally met, there are just as many I didn't and wish I had. Here's hoping for TecmoXI

Well things got interesting late. In the sweet 16, the best view I could get was behind Diaz vs Chet (TAKE THE RAMS!) with a kind of view of Louis vs Chris Vogt and Josh vs AirBonTempo. The best of these games that I could see was the Louis and Chris Vogt game. I stood kind of next to Mort and caught a joke one of the brothers made regarding which team Louis was in reference to the Mort game vs Skunker a few years back. Chris pulled it out and for each of the winners, the Elite 8 meant you had the luxury of double elimination.

During the first round of the Elite 8 I believe (since noone was in danger of being eliminated), I finally got some food and took a load off, hanging out with Psycho and Gats. Was nice hanging out and breaking bread in a manner of speaking. Derek is an outstanding person and I'm really glad for that time (and the beer earlier, which was soon followed by the Tecmo Bunny ANOTHER HIGHLIGHT!)

From here on out, there were still a lot of great games. Probably my favorite to watch was the Chet vs Skunker matchup. Cleveland vs Green Bay. Skunker got an early advantage, and then toyed with the tecmo gods and paid for it, in more ways than one. Skunker took a lead into halftime getting the ball to start the 3rd. The first half was chock full of hilarious back and forth Wisconsin style as Skunker would make a play and then get up and (for lack of a better description) juggle the balls? of the tecmo gods maybe? IDK lol. Anyway, with the lead and the ball in the 2nd half, Skunker took forEVER with the ball in his own end zone running to the line of scrimmage and then back again with QB Browns planning a deep heave, only the drones knocked it down BACKwards out of the back of the end zone for a momentum shifting glitch safety! This cut Skunker's lead to 10-9 and quickly turned into a 16-10 lead for Chet, complete with his own answer of juggling the balls. Skunker drives and cuts it to 3 and Chet drives late and is forced to a decision at 4th and 9 from about 20 yards out? FG gives you a 6 point lead, but you already got a 3 point lead. Chet goes for it, and the Majik Man pulled another rabbit out of his hat, only this time it wasn't to Sterling! CC in the endzone for the 10 point lead. Dagger! That ended it essentially and Chet enjoyed many of the local fans, family and friends uttering "GARBAGE!" throughout in good nature.

Also of note, the Elimination game between Odell and Chris. Just watching the 2nd half, I could tell Odell was the Bucs (it was on the big screen, and I only knew they were playing not who was who, but I could figure it out from style) and I saw Haddix just being a menace and the dagger Gary Anderson JJ in JJ grill in the end zone. Another great tecmo moment.

I then watched Odell and Skunker duel, but while this one was a good one early on, the game got decided relatively early, and thus I walked around to see...

Battle Royale part 1

One great game that I haven't seen hit a lot of the recaps was the first game Winner's Bracket Final between Regulator and Chet. It was Mia vs Rams, with Chet as MIA and Reg as the Rams. This one was a doozy. It ended 20-14 as a last second hail mary into the endzone went to a diving WR but was PICKED OFF! Here's a shot of the crowd as Regulator was forced to punt with 2 minutes left and up 20-14 in the 4th.

post-8428-0-37071100-1394883213_thumb.jp

The Matty V vs Skunker game that followed was also EPIC! Then Chet beat Matty to set up the rematch for the 3rd year running. Before that we did our HSTL and Online Garbage pictures. I also managed to Photobomb the Chrysler T&C crew's group pic Moulds style!

Regulator was on a true mission, and I regret not having a chance to play him or Matt live. Some other guys I met during the day.

Knobbe - Obi Wan So great to finally meet you sir! You are kind and wise and have been a huge help to me figuring some commish things out and helping leagues go along. And the repository! I mean TBORG! Great things man. Great things!

Rico and Heechy. I wish I could have played Heechy in group play, but I was definitely glad to meet him, and Rico. What a couple of great guys. I saw Heechy suffer the fate of playing as the Cards vs Diazzhole with the Steelersand missing a last second fg to lose 3-0 BRUTAL! Then Rico suffers a loss at the hands of my brothafromanothamotha on his sweet 16 run. You couldn't meet 3 cooler guys anywhere.

Boud - Great to finally meet you. I feel you're pain.

Ashman - Supersonics NOT PACKERS lolz. Great to meet you and hope to see you in ETC Reboot!

Chet - Wishing you the best and like I said, you guys ever come out here, just give us some notice and we'll make something happen. Shoot that goes for everybody. Great run again and congrats!

Josh - Thanks for helping settle that WR running issue and great to meet you. Both you Holzy brothers, that Madison tournament is something else man. It's not like I'm telling y'all something you don't already know!

Hendershot - Fuck that tecmo bunny! The bunny was dope, but he wasn't a ninja!

Airbontempo, ChaosRison, shit I'm just name dropping here, but really, it was great to share some time talking tecmo and otherwise. Anyone I met. For those that I didnt' , I"LL BE HUNTING YOU DOWN FOR A HANDSHAKE OR A BEARHUG at the next one, whereever whenever it is!

Ryan - Great to meet you. I wish we could have finished our game. I heard you killed it on the stream. Look forward to queuing that up.

Kweh - My first TPC game EVER vs the Mongrel and I get to meet him! Great to meet you man, and also heard you killed it on the stream. Good stuff!

To wrap it up (WRAP IT UP B!) I ended the evening in heroic fashion (No Tecmo Brother left behind X2)

We cooled it, literally, in coco's ride for awhile waiting for the fog to clear and making sure not to leave any Sega behind. Feeling wishy washy about the Plaza, I decided to hang out with JoeyGats and knock out some more tecmo, and we did, like a dozen games worth. Great playing with you in person man. You're a good dude and keep your head up. You never know what you can accomplish in life unless you try.

Stayed up late, helped Mort carry a TV to his car after he got back from the Plaza. Saw what I thought to be like a BLUE LUIGI bounce in and snatch up a red Johnny Johnson shirt. Saw Coco in and finally was off to bed.

Woke up to Odell and Otoole at the door, missing 4 texts from Odell in the process. No I obviously was not ready to go :-)

After a quick shower and packing up, I said my good bye to coco (thanks for all your hospitality, driving and great RUN! man) waved bye to Ryan and whoever else was in his ride, hopped in with the O Brothers and put the Super 8 in our rear view. We needed some grub and hit the BIGGEST CULVER'S in the WORLD! And it did NOT disappoint. Good eats. Then the O Brothers and I had another nice ride to O'Hare as  I learned a couple things.

There's a Depeche Mode song with a subliminal message. Something about the singer wanting "Dick in my arse"? Listen to it. See if you don't hear the same thing.

And also. Tolls. We here in the NW haven't too many tolls to worry about. Not even a troll toll. But damn Illinois got a ton. As we got to a coin only toll, Me and O'Toole observed O'Dell's hidden stats. Let's just say he's the Cleveland Gary of the Coin Control.

We exchanged our bro hugs and good byes and I proceeded (by sheer luck) right to my gate, which had a flight to Seattle at 3 or so and was boarding within minutes of me getting there. I asked if there were any openings on this flight since I had a ticket for a later one and I think they had to hold back their guffaws. Oh well, I had a nice restful stay at O'Hare. Tweeted a couple times. Got home super late to a super sick house and got sick a couple days later. Long live tecmo. Any and all tecmo. Especially live tecmo.

Kamp out. Hope to see you in XI.

Great write up Kamp!  How could I have possibly left out our virgin Culvers experiences out of my recap?!  Thoroughly enjoyed that!  Just like there are too many tecmoers to meet in one day, there are too many topics to cover in one post (or two in my case)!