Modifying Tecmo Bowl - the original

Knobbe

Bit 8: A -> Special Ability -

RBs, WRs, TE: This value controls the QB passing speed/pitching speed plus it possibly might control the receiving ability. The numbers vary from 8-E here while most players on the same team have the same values.

I did some experiementing with this stat to figure out why Walter Payton has gets that perfectly straight pass. It seems that special ability is actually the passing stat, which is why players on the same team have the same value there, for the most part. It seems it can go lower and higher than the 8-E range that is used in the game. Setting it to 0 makes the pass rediculously slow. The ball is so slow moving down the field that entire defense is running circles around the shadow of the ball, waiting for it to come down. Setting it F Makes the pass incomplete every time.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
good god. did i ever pick a good day to start reading these forums.

excellent work you guys.

and i am also a fellow minnesotan. i am from grand rapids. i hope you guys know where that is, because if you dont, ill have to club you over the head caveman style. where are you from in MN, mr. diddy?

St. Cloud at the time of your post. Eagan now.

• 5 years later...

i hope this question wont sound too stupid... :lol:

but does anyone know the hex value to set a team to completely invisible? i tried 0x000000, 0x303030, and the hex for green (forgot what it was now, but the same as the field anyway, not surprising that this one didnt work as there are obviously more colors on the field than just green) but it didnt matter what i tried nothing seems to make the players invisible, the players 3 colors that comprise his being always just end up either entirely black or white or gray...

The place to edit team uniform colors begins at address 10350. That line is for Indianapolis. Miami begins at 10360, Cleveland at 10370, etc. Indy's line breaks down like this:

0F 30 36 11 0F 30 15 11 0F 19 12 30

The first four bytes are four white players. The second four are for black players. The third four are for the field. You can use the TSB Manager to get the hex values for each color. If you go to where you edit team colors you get a 4 x 16 chart. The four rows represent the first digit, beginning with 0. The 16 columns represent the second digit, also start with 0. So Dark Gray is 00, Green is 0A, White is 30, Black 8 is 3F.

The green numbers are for the team's helmets & pants. The blue numbers are for the team's jerseys. The red numbers are for the players' skin color. 36 is used for all white players. Black players have 15, 05, or 0F depending on the team. The violet numbers are for the team's end zone. This is generally just a variation on one of the uniform colors, but not exactly the same, or else players would partially disappear. The other numbers are constant for all teams. 0F is black, the first two times this appears in each team line does not seem to affect anything. The third 0F is for the black parts of the field. The 19 is green, the color of the field. The 30 is the white part of the field.

Another place you might want to edit is the data for the touchdown screen, where the players jump & high-five each other. This begins at address 12510 and each team has one line, beginning with Indy. Their line looks like this:

30 11 0F 30 21 11 0F 36 21 11

The green numbers are again for the players' helmets. The first two blue numbers are for the players' jerseys. The third occurrence seems to be one of the colors in the background crowd. All the other numbers are constant for all teams.

I don't know the answer to this, but why do you even want to do this? Just curious...

P.S. Are you a Tecmo Bowl fan? We have a small group of guys who play it (we're currently in a draft for our league as I type this). We also play pickup games (tecmobowl.sweethoss.com), and are currently in progress on editing our 2010 Post-Season 32 Team ROM. If you're interested in any of this, let me know...

thanks for the replies, i just tried 0xffffff and i was expecting to see all white unis but once again players uniforms were all black instead and not invisible as desired

so i am still looking for the hex value for invisible :lol:

anyone else have any ideas? or can anyone suggest a better solution to my issue detailed below?

turd, i am a huge tecmo super bowl fan, but i haven't played in a while. i currently live in tampa but i am registered for the madison tourney on march 5

haha, i was trying to stay under the radar with this strange request,

i figured someone would ask 'why' i want to do this since it does seem a bit odd...

(the packers play in 15 minutes so i am going to type my answer fast!)

short answer:

i need ALL the game sprites for my project (i have almost 400, but some are very tough to get due to grappling, etc.)

long answer:

i am trying to grab some screenshots of various action poses etc. and pictures of offensive & defensive linemen in action but they are always grappling and it seems almost impossible to isolate them (usually only partial captures are available when two players are grappling) and i was thinking one way might be if i made one team invisible and play com vs com as computer will still be able to play against an invisble team and wont care thereby allowing me to capture linemen even when engaged in grappling... another obvious issue is that one player has to be drawn to the screen first and then will be overwritten by the next player drawn to the screen if their location is overlapping.

any help with this would be greatly appreciated unless someone has a better idea on how to capture the player sprites?

(i have approximately 400 poses so far but some have proven very difficult to get, where sometimes the only option is to wait for the emulator to "accidentally" erase an overlapping player, which is a lot of painful work)

I don't know the answer to this, but why do you even want to do this? Just curious...

P.S. Are you a Tecmo Bowl fan? We have a small group of guys who play it (we're currently in a draft for our league as I type this). We also play pickup games (tecmobowl.sweethoss.com), and are currently in progress on editing our 2010 Post-Season 32 Team ROM. If you're interested in any of this, let me know...

:D

well that explains a lot! turd i feel like a complete tard.

i havent been on these boards in such a long time. i should have just started a new thread anyway considering this one was +5 years old!

however, you guys got me thinking. i decided to go get the original rom and try tecmo bowl instead of tecmo super bowl to see if it might work better for my project. i found out the sprites are almost the same which isnt really too surprising, just seems to be a few differences they made in tsb. boy did playing that original rom bring back some memories. 12 teams and only 9 on 9. i had to take the bears cause i guess they hadnt yet heard of the cardiac pack in japan.

i was able to get the players and field to be the same color with your guys help and the original posts above (which does help a LOT) but still doesnt solve overlapping players during grappling. :? i might start a new thread and see if anyone knows the hex value for transparent.

turd, it's kinda weird now living in tampa and cheering for the bucs AND packers. i used to like the bucs when i was growing up in wisconsin, but back then i liked em cause it usually meant 2 easy wins every year for the pack. :D

now the bucs are a very exciting young team on the rise just like the packers were not too long ago.

GO PACK GO!!!

I meant Tecmo Bowl, not Tecmo SUPER Bowl. Title says Tecmo Bowl.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/14/2020 at 8:38 PM, TwoScoops said:

This is so cool. One thing I'm not seeing in here, is there a way to edit the playbooks?

I do know it's been done though i'm not sure if it's documented.

There is a 32 team rom that has a playbook editor.  Here is the editor

• 3 months later...