Sign in to follow this  
baxterbear12

Madison, the takeaway...

msg-10684-0-21663700-1394454540.jpg

After being stuck to a live stream of tecmo madness and watching all my tecmo buds have a ball...here's what I walked away with.

The early rounds. Little slow from my side of the screen. Being locked into the same pool with only one guy I was familiar with was a little rough. It was cool to see Brudog play a bunch of games, but with so many famous online characters there it seemed a shame to not get more face time on them. I realize there's a tourney going on and combining the stream with the tourney would be a pain the organizers probly dont want to bear. I was just hoping to see more guys play. Solution? I'll fucking go next time!

64 on in. Great games to watch. I got to see some guys put runs together while others fell a bit short of where they'd hoped to get.

Coco made the big screen once. Was awesome to see him put a run together and raise some eyebrows.

Joeygats. How did this guy not get to play a game on the stream? Cool interview though and glad he got to go.

Arn. Man, when you faced off against regulator I felt like you were getting in the ring with the badass in bloodsport. Too bad a couple things went against you early. Too much to overcome. Loved watching your name move up the board though.

Kamp, my man. What the hell happened? I know I know. Tonka and I were psyched to kick back and throw shit at the screen when you were shaking and baking...so you kinda ruined that for us...way to go. Still WTF CHAMP though!

Regulator. You're a Damn machine man. Congrats on the win.

Daboy. My jaw dropped and heart sunk when I saw you were knocked out. I was really hoping all those lessons I'd taught you in our retro games would have paid off.

Ones. Into the bracket. Again, hoping to see you move up. Better bounces next year?

Odell. Odell...more jacked than regulator? Who knew?

Gotta run. What's your stories?

Had a fantastic time this weekend, finally meeting so many people that I've talked to online - Kamp, Manyo, Diaz, Gats, Louis/Mort, Bruddog Dave, Reg, Ones, Knobbe, the list could go on and on. Friday was great, having 2 different rooms to go watch and play Tecmo, not including at Badger Bowl. Honestly, I was just hoping to make it to the 64 man bracket - that was my goal coming in. Making a deep run to the Elite 8 was mind blowing to say the least, against a field this deep and talented.

#134 and #315 - that was where it was at Friday, half of the Elite 8 were present those 2 rooms - (Matt and Chris Vogt, Odell, and Myself). Congrats to Reg again on the win, and to everyone else I met, It was awesome and can't wait until the next tourney!

Edited by coconuts0622

A more detailed post to come but just want to say thanks to everyone who made my Madison experience great. It was really cool meeting and talking with people. It was super cool to be featured on the stream early on. Even being at the tournament you only catch just a bit of whats going on. It is really amazing.

got there late thursday nite... eventually found brud and played a few games before retiring for the evening

friday, people and tvs started trickling thru room #134 all afternoon and night, winners kept tv cutthroat style... as well as some action at the badger bowl in the evening for registration... I kept track of all my games in a notebook, and I started out slow, winning 2 of my first 9... but then started picking it up and won 11 of my next 14 including a shutout 24-0 (NO vs. CLE) to end the night, so I felt ready to roll. my d-pad hand was cramping up a lot from playing so many but I gamed it out.

(ps--i'm just talking tecmo, impossible for me to summarize how fun it was to meet up with all these people in reality and enjoy the weekend to its fullest. just WOW fun with coco, moulds, kamp, sega, diaz, kevin c., gats, brude, mort and louis, knobbe, dave murray, toolie, vogts, woodshed, jimsocks, kweh, odell, hake, the millers, on and on, but never a bad one in the bunch)

few hours of sleep later, tourney time... I won my group going 3-0 including a tight winner's bracket final vs. kweh... there really weren't any terrible players either... I don't recall getting or giving any fumbles in my tournament games at all, so straight tecmo... made only a few mistakes, felt pretty good.

single elims, round of 64... first opponent was tony orenga, which has the really loud creative cheering section... was pumped for that, allowed me the freedom to be expressive myself, which I like to do in tecmo... sega was doing his part to cheer me on as well, funny stuff... as I walked away to play him I asked moulds what kind of player tony was and he just said dont give him the rams... haha, so he calls WAS-RAM and I give him the rams of course... I eventually saw why not to do so... yeah he got plenty of garbage when he missed his JJs, but hey that's the rams and he's a great player regardless, nothing taken away from him... I might take the rams next time though, simply wasn't prepared to play them before the tourney.

too bad I couldn't give the crowd something great to watch there, loved the energy... coconuts got revenge on orenga 2 rounds later in another epic game. the spotted cow flowed freely thereafter as I watched great game after great game in tecmo valhalla.

count me in for next year if these great people putting this on continue to do so... mind-blowing fun, first class all the way, and of course super 8 east all the way.

Edited by manyo360

Daboy. My jaw dropped and heart sunk when I saw you were knocked out. I was really hoping all those lessons I'd taught you in our retro games would have paid off.

I know, every game, every quarter, every play, all I thought was "wwbbd"(what/would/baxterBEAR/do)

sorry I let you down

at least me/Derek(tecmopsycho)/vogts/hake had a blast

-"would you like a bag of chips"

-"Anderson TO Anderson"

-"need to fill r up"

some good times were had on our long field trip.

Tourn-A-Ment was well organized, nicely done.

always nice meeting some online guys I never met like bru, kamp, manyo, gats n others

Edited by daboy8821

I know, every game, every quarter, every play, all I thought was "wwbbd"(what/would/baxterBEAR/do)

sorry I let you down

at least me/Derek(tecmopsycho)/vogts/hake had a blast

"would you like a bag of chips"

"Anderson TO Anderson"

"need to fill r up"

some good times were had on our long field trip.

Tourn-A-Ment was well organized, nicely done.

always nice meeting some online guys I never met like bru, kamp, manyo, gats n others

Jon, those were some great memories.

What an amazing experience words cannot explain! but here goes so much to tell!

Lets go tourney First!

I was in pool 7 listed on the bracket as the 3 seed,

First game played a guy named Nick was a local

I won the toss called Bears vs Raiders in honor of my dad who made the trip with my brothers just to see me and is the biggest raiders fan i know, huge thanks for coming dad it was just huge to see you which just does not happen as much as i would like.

So i get Raiders Nick picks bears

Early in the game i put on a show with Bo and take a early 21-0 lead at half Bo goes into bad and I was able to hold Nick scoreless through the 3rd but did not do enough on O either way I'm able to keep the game out of reach but Nick does get 2 late scores due to JJ action and a Bo fumble but a bit to late for Nick and i advance 21-14

2nd Game Next I get Jared M a Wis native that had some experience and was a great guy.

won the toss again and called Bears vs Lions after a great conversation with my good pal Jon Jones (daboy)

Jared goes Bears and this may be one of the greatest games i have played everything really clicking for me

and I was able to win 28-0 and actually played the best D i have played and really won the game with the use of Peete hats off to Jared for his ability to force me to pass great run D out of Jared!

3nd Game Pool Champ

A game i was very excited about anytime you get to play a multiple final 4 guy will get the blood really pumping. Troy Hansen great player great guy honor to play him.

won another toss called Mia vs Rams Troy takes Miami

First drive i was able drive down but was held to a FG

Troy plays the way you would expect a seasoned vet to play mistake free lights out and gets in the endzone 7-3.

one suprise for me i was able to get him tapping a good amount and was able to score on the next drive 10-7.

Troy goes on another long drive and puts the ball in endzone on a last second JJ before the half 10-14 Miami Half

Troy elected to receive to i got ball at half, I'm able to go on a longer drive and score to go up 17-14

Troy gets the ball goes on a marathon drive that takes up most the 4th 21-17 Troy about 1 min left

My first play i called pass 2 troy was Offendahl really thought i had this to will flipper deep only Offendahl back threw it up flipper cant get the catch

Troy calls my next 2 plays and gets the win.

4th Game Played Chad L

he wins toss calls ATL vs CIN

big mismatch I win with CIN 28-0 and make the big bracket which was the goal

5th Game Big Bracket vs Erik Merliss

He picks Raiders vs Bears i pick Raiders out of respect for Eriks incredible quick game ability

I really played well for the 1st half, winning most the tap battles.

A key moment was 2 mistakes that really changed the game right before the half game 7-6 Raiders

Erik goes for a 4th and 2 on his 20 ydl, i called the play and take over. i run down to the 5 ydl short time now 1 play tops before I gotta kick here

Called pass 4 run to the bottom and Carrier follows i feel he is close enough for me to squeeze the ball into the endzone to my wide open top WR 2 standing in the endzone, take the shot and I'm wrong Carrier gets it, but felt like i needed to be aggressive half 7-6 me

Erik has a great time consuming grinding drive to take the lead 13-7 in the i get the ball and on the most important POS of the game for me Erik calls 4 plays in a row amazing job by him and really seals the game going up 20-7. Great job Erik honor to play you!

Erik would win his next game then get a on fire Regulator.

So first Madison made the big bracket played to great guys very tough it was really a great performance for me and was honored just to make the round of 64.

After i was out i did get the incredible opp to call the games dave murray the man was a bit under the weather and Kweh and I really were able to call several games including the champ game HUGE HONOR just such a highlight I really hope i did it justice no way i can compare to dave but I really tried and it really meant a lot to have dave give me the nod for this. Khew thank you so much I literally had a blast calling with you and I will remember forever the amazing time i had due in large part to you and dave who i was with the majority of the tourney!

I traveled up to Madison with Matt Diaz, Kevin Hine, and Chris Hendershot and it was an amazing trip with amazing ppl thanks to them for being great friends but also the incredible memories and hilarious situations that a trip of this nature provide #Hanked #Drunktarded  #Cloverleaf

(No homo disclaimer)

No words can describe the time you have with this community face to face, Hanging with Gats, shaking hands and thanking Brud, playing a warmup game with the Legend Chet and getting Tecmo owned as expected but i can say I PLAYED CHET and scored 21 his score does matter lol (42). Meeting Kamp, Knobbe, Sega, Manyo, to many to name. Introducing my drunkass father who is a riot to several ppl i consider important friends that mean just so much to me and seeing them embrace him like family cause he is connected to me and we are pals (Specifically Matt Vogt and Kyle Miller). My dad hates the Bears and Michigan and for those of you who know Matty my dad is similar so the banter was priceless at one point my dad wanting to bet matty in a game vs me at which point I notified dad how terrible an idea this was; immediately Dad once again turned on me, very awesome just insane funny! My dad also had several conversations with Kyle Miller who was just as nice as a guy can be while talking to a drunk stranger Thanks everyone you guys embracing my family was priceless and hope you enjoyed Dad he is awesome!  I played pregame with Matt Miller where my dad having a GREAT TIME #Drunktarded at this point heckled me the entire game which both Matt and I found awesome and hilarious for sure. Thank you Dad for making this experience very special Dad is just the best guy ever and his interaction with everyone was awesome and every game there was Dad pulling for me which i did not have growing up and was very special.

Last but not least Thank you to each and everyone one of you that shared some kind of conversation or moment with me there are to many to name everyone knows who they are, I have a baby on the way and so many have talked about this with me just priceless guidance and sincere feelings of happiness for me what a beautiful community we have here. Get to Madison it is a life changer!

Edited by Ryan11p

I have one more takeaway to share... never fully understood how much of a college town madison is, and the fun that can be had afterward downtown... really had to scramble to get to the airport by 4:30 am... next year I plan on giving myself some more time...

then the legend of #BlueLuigi shall fully be known.... (moulds, you missed it!)

I have one more takeaway to share... never fully understood how much of a college town madison is, and the fun that can be had afterward downtown... really had to scramble to get to the airport by 4:30 am... next year I plan on giving myself some more time...

My first guess was that this was some kind of sex maneuver, but it probably refers to some encounter where, due to your dress and 'stache, somebody dubbed you "Blue Luigi."

Edited by toolie

My first guess was that this was some kind of sex maneuver, but it probably refers to some encounter where, due to your dress and 'stache, somebody dubbed you "Blue Luigi."

I should have told her the only thing blue about me are my balls.

Ha!  I need to hear this story!

Dude, I got left out! And Mort is awake in this photo!

Yeah I saw you and Matt talking, and I told Chris H. to come grab you both, and as soon as he turned around, you two bolted. Luckily Ones saw me pointing at him. He also made an announcement over the speaker...Obviously wanted you in there dude..

Dude, I got left out! And Mort is awake in this photo!

Kyle, unfortunately, you've never really been one of us.  With 3 straight Madison Finals appearances, it is pretty clear that you are not human.

You were an amazing specimen of Tecmo greatness on Saturday.  No one was taking that one away from you.  Congratulations man.

Now if only I didn't have you beating Daboy in the championship, I'd have won the Madison Madness!

Edited by brodell

Kyle, unfortunately, you've never really been one of us.  With 3 straight Madison Finals appearances, it is pretty clear that you are not human.

You were an amazing specimen of Tecmo greatness on Saturday.  No one was taking that one away from you.  Congratulations man.

Now if only I didn't have you beating Daboy in the championship, I'd have won the Madison Madison!

Reg's.... its like that espn albert pujos' commerical ...

Option 1....Destroy

Option 2 ...Deny