???New NES MAN Player Moves???

xplozv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPnwRR1mmrA

Press a button to dive for extra yardage or into the endzone. How about pressing a button to hurdle a diving tackler? Or, what about pressing a button to get a short speed burst? Maybe pressing a button to popcorn that tough defender coming at you head on gets you excited? How about having them all at the same time? All ball carriers have these abilities. The QB is only able to utilize these new moves once he has crossed the line of scrimmage.

Currently working on adding hit stick button for MAN to use on defense as well as defensive player speed burst button. Would you guys find this useful?

xplozv -

Good stuff there.  I've been trying to reach you in regards to your franchise qb hack...I'm wondering if you can help me refine the hack; the qb remains motionless after throwing the ball--is it possible to retain control of the qb after he throws the ball?  For instance, when the qb throws a pick, it would be beneficial if you could attempt to make a tackle using the qb versus standing motionless with no control over any palyer on the field.  Any help would be tremendous...thanks in advance.

xplozv -

Good stuff there.  I've been trying to reach you in regards to your franchise qb hack...I'm wondering if you can help me refine the hack; the qb remains motionless after throwing the ball--is it possible to retain control of the qb after he throws the ball?  For instance, when the qb throws a pick, it would be beneficial if you could attempt to make a tackle using the qb versus standing motionless with no control over any palyer on the field.  Any help would be tremendous...thanks in advance.

That's actually one of jstout's many great hacks. I just ported it over to the snes and genesis versions of the game. I will look into that and see what I can come up with. 

Here is teaser rom with the offensive user moves in place. I will add complete info, code, and rom to the top once I finish the code for the defensive buttons.

A = to hurdle

B = to dive

Select = to speed burst

Start = to popcorn (truck defender)

Moves can be done as often as you like or as the defense allows. With the popcorn button you can popcorn head on and from a defender chasing behind you. With the speed burst button you must be careful of your path because briefly you will be unable to change your direction. I did this to balance out its use. So if you speed burst towards the sideline and you're too close, you may barely step out of bounds before you straighten out in time. Also, you will slow down as in the video if you breakaway and use the speed burst too much. So if you try to rapidly tap it all the time, you will slow down and the defense will catch up to you. This depends on your player's ability too.

New Moves tpc_original.nes

Edited by xplozv

just fooled with this for a few minutes.  pretty amazing.  my initial criticism is that it makes offense too powerful.  to address this issue, I think that there should be some "tradeoffs", if possible.

maybe something like this...

truck (start) causes runner to slow way down (anytime truck is pressed)

hurdle (a) causes runner ball-control to drastically drop (maybe temporarily?)

dive (b   )  - causes runner to slow way down (this is probably already ok as is)

burst (select) - should cause even more/longer loss of control for runner

these are just some initial ideas.  maybe they are not practical to incorporate into these hacks.

one other thing - why can't COM use these moves?

Edited by buck

just fooled with this for a few minutes. pretty amazing. my initial criticism is that it makes offense too powerful. to address this issue, I think that there should be some "tradeoffs", if possible.

dive (b ) - causes runner to slow way down (this is probably already ok as is)

these are just some initial ideas. maybe they are not practical to incorporate into these hacks.

Nice work!

Agree with Buck on it making offense too good. Maybe you could make trucking have probability rather than working EVERY time. A failed truck could sometimes result in a tackle and sometimes do nothing. Both the truck and hurdle should cause BC to drop massively though this is a little trickier as youd have to bypass the normal BC fumble check routine and write a separate on for these moves

The dive is the one i see as pretty decent and not superpowered as it currently stands.

The speed burst should reduce your max speed for the rest of the play which should be doable.

just fooled with this for a few minutes.  pretty amazing.  my initial criticism is that it makes offense too powerful.  to address this issue, I think that there should be some "tradeoffs", if possible.

dive (b   )  - causes runner to slow way down (this is probably already ok as is)

these are just some initial ideas.  maybe they are not practical to incorporate into these hacks.

The slowdown after using the truck button is gonna be a definite. Causing more loss of control for the runner using the speed burst is already built within the coding of the hack. I just have to adjust one value to everyone's liking. I just left is to minimal lost so that everyone can try it out and get an overall value from there. Dropping ball control for a "heavy hurdler" is a another great idea.

The COM cannot use these moves because i didn't code it for the COM to use it. I simply hack these moves into the "E4" command. I did this for limited space purposes just to see if I could make this happen. If the NES had more space in these important places, ohhhh the things we could add and/or create. I have other unique hacks coming that I am working on and then will come the ultimate task of trying to fit them all in at the same time.

Agree with Buck on it making offense too good. Maybe you could make trucking have probability rather than working EVERY time. A failed truck could sometimes result in a tackle and sometimes do nothing. Both the truck and hurdle should cause BC to drop massively though this is a little trickier as youd have to bypass the normal BC fumble check routine and write a separate on for these moves

These are all doable and would be great way to counteract each moves effectiveness. Space is killing alot of these for the NES, and I don't care to do bank switching and all that. Whereas, the SNES versions have plenty of hacking space to use and are more friendly in my opinion(only 28 teams keeps me away though). How do you guys feel about maybe having defensive moves like a hit stick button for popcorns/forcing fumbles, and/or speed burst button for a defender as a possibility?

wow would this add a ton of new playability for folks.    it definitely changes the dynamics of how my brother and I would play.   both of us have mastered (Against each other anyways) using a fast Dback and slide tackle running game.

man,  the first time I hurdle him, he's going to need a new joystick after it gets tossed, haha

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWV4BWr2SIk

How about performing spin moves like TSB III? When I am finished making adjustments to the other user moves I will add the spin moves to the rom above. Running out of button combinations. Which button combo would you guys like to be able to do the spin move?

***Note: Time your spin moves for them to be most effective. A defender can grapple you out of a spin if you do not time your spin correctly.

Edited by xplozv

How about performing spin moves like TSB III? When I am finished making adjustments to the other user moves I will add the spin moves to the rom above. Running out of button combinations. Which button combo would you guys like to be able to do the spin move?

***Note: Time your spin moves for them to be most effective. A defender can grapple you out of a spin if you do not time your spin correctly.

What about having each player having only 2 available with the 2 types being assigned based on their style. The skin byte could be used to determine this.

Skin # A button B button

00/08 = spin. dive

01/09 = dash. dive

02/0A = truck. dive

03/0B = hurdle. dive

etc..

• 9 months later...

What about having each player having only 2 available with the 2 types being assigned based on their style. The skin byte could be used to determine this.

Skin # A button B button

00/08 = spin. dive

01/09 = dash. dive

02/0A = truck. dive

03/0B = hurdle. dive

etc..

I like this idea. Horizontal running backs could get the spin and dive. Speedsters could get the spin and hurdle. High HP guys could get the popcorn and dive. WRs already dive for the ball automatically so they just need spin and hurdle. TEs popcorn and dive.

I have completed my full set of MAN player moves for offensive players. They will be part of my final rom release. I hope to have it done in the next couple days. It will have a lot of custom hacks that have created the past 4 years since my last major rom. I will be looking for testers so that I can upload a beta soon. For now, here's the list of moves (Note that there isn't enough buttons for all the moves. Everyone can vote for what moves they would like me to include):

A- Truck move - loss of speed & hp after move to simulate fatigue

B- Spin move - loss of hp, more likely to fumble

B+A- Dive move - takes a few seconds to get back up, can still fumble while on ground

Select- Juke Left - loss of hp, more likely to fumble

Start- Juke Right - loss of hp, more likely to fumble

__- Hurdle - loss of hp & speed, more likely to fumble

__- Speed burst - loses control momentarily, loss of speed after move to simulate fatigue

QB behind line of scrimmage :

Select- takes a knee to end play, defense gets credit for sack if you try to kneel right before getting sacked

Start- performs a pumpfake, will hear the sound as if the ball was thrown

I still have defensive moves left to complete such as spin move and bull rush for DL, force fumble move which is nearly finished, and a hit stick move that increases the chance of injuring the offensive player. Any other ideas are welcomed.

Sounds fun. I likely won't be playtesting because I have never gotten used to playing on the computer, and therefore I don't even think I have a usable controller for it anymore, but I love these ideas. One thought, does this mean tapping would be eliminated altogether? I would be okay with that because I suck at tapping, but that really changes the game.