Houma, LA - 05/31/14 - Swamp Bowl I

suicideking81

Will announce groups no later than Sunday night. Guys riding together will not be put in the same group. If someone is put in a group with there friend/ride partner let me know and it will be fix. Once groups are released the are subject to change depending on no shows and or walk-ins. Players will be split into groups of 4 or 5 where they will play round robin playing each player in their group once. Once all groups have completed we will take the top ⅔ players will be seeded on records and point differential for the money bracket. The bottom ⅓ will be seeded for the consolation bracket for "Best of the Worst" trophy.

Groups are as follows: ( Some names will be noted as "Plus 1" as they are accompanying another player)

Red Group:

Nos

Cody C.

George

Joe V.

Blue Group:

Ashman

Brad B.

Brian A.

Jerry S.

Green Group:

BgBoud

Josh W.

Choven

Brian A. (Plus 1)

Yellow Group:

SuicideKing

Loney

S. Smith

Cody C. (Plus 1)

Purple Group:

NGunn

Kevin M.

Sambo F.

Loney (Plus 1)

Groups are subject to change with player dropouts or additions.

You can still signup!!! 5 days til the "King of the Swamp" is crowned!!!

Edited by suicideking81

REVISION TWO: (2 ADDED)

Groups are as follows: ( Some names will be noted as "Plus 1" as they are accompanying another player)

Red Group:

Nos

Cody C.

Joe V.

Sambo

NGunn

Blue Group:

Ashman

Brad B.

Brian A.

Jerry S.

Green Group:

BgBoud

Josh W.

Brian A. (Plus 1)

Loney (Plus 1)

Chovan

Yellow Group:

SuicideKing

Loney

S. Smith

Cody C. (Plus 1)

Kevin M.

Groups are subject to change with player dropouts or additions.

You can still signup!!! 5 days til the "King of the Swamp" is crowned!!!

Edited by suicideking81

Just a few hours til Swamp Bowl!!!! Will Ashman continue his southern dominance or will BgBoud regain his all too familiar form and capture another title? Will Nos, making his live tournament debut, stake his claim for best in the south? Will SuicideKing finally breakthrough and capture a title? Or will an unknown from the field emerge victorious? All these questions will be answered in a matter of hours.

#Swamp Bowl

On a rainy day in Houma, LA, 12 Tecmoers participated in a great event thrown by suicideking.

Three groups of 4 participated in a round robin format, with the top 6 advancing to a double elimination bracket for the championship.

I'll give a brief recap of my games:

Game 1: I choose a Saints - Jets matchup and my opponent calls the Jets.  I win 19-3 despite fumbling twice, one inside the 5 yard line.

Game 2: I choose a Cardinals - Cowboys matchup and my opponent calls the Cowboys.  The Boys open up with a deep diving CC for a TD, but this would be the only offense for the Cowboys in this one.  I win 44-7.

Game 3: My opponent wins the toss and chooses a Chiefs - Dolphins matchup from the tier cards.  I select the Chiefs and win 48-0.

Boud won his group with a 3-0 record after a close one with suicideking, and Ashman won his group with 3 shutout victories, two with point totals in the 70s!  Ashman was seeded #1, I was #2, Boud #3, and suicide #4 in the championship bracket, with Ashman and I receiving byes.

My first matchup in the bracket, I lose to Boud 24-14 in a Bucs - Chargers matchup.  I chose the Chargers and took an early 7-0 lead, but Boud played well throughout.  I fumbled down 17-14 which sealed the Bucs victory on a late TD.

In the losers bracket, I win an Oilers - Giants matchup with the Oilers 44-14 to setup a match against suicideking.

In this one, Suicide selects a Chargers - Saints matchup, and I happily call the Chargers.  I win 28-7 after taking a 21-0 lead into the 4th quarter.

Ashman lost to Boud in an amazing Bengals - Chiefs matchup, with some really bad luck allowing Ashman to stay in the game until late.  The returned block field goal for a TD was pretty epic.  However, a 72 yard field goal (that's right, Lowery and the Chiefs with Boud at the helm lined up for a field goal from their own 45 yard line) was drilled by Boud at the gun.  Amazing game, and Boud was in the championship.

In the semis, Ashman calls a Redskins - Vikings matchup and I select the Redskins.  Ashman had some bad luck in this one with 2 fumbles, and my offense was only stopped once.  I win 28-7 to setup the championship and a rematch from my only loss on the day.

Boud calls a Jets - Cowboys matchup, and I take the Cowboys.  The Jets take a 7 point lead in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to play, and the Cowboys capitalize on a huge pass to Novacek to get the Cowboys inside the Jet 40.  Next play, called run 3, fumbled and nearly housed by Boud.  He scores with under a minute to create the 14 point difference and the championship victory, 24-10.

Boud played great all day.  I finish in 2nd with a 6-2 record on the day, battling back from the loser's bracket to make the championship game.

Thanks to Gerald and the rest of his family for a great day of Tecmo, and to the venue for having us.

Looking forward to the next one.  Looks like I can hold my own in these things.

Nos

Edited by Nos

Awesome write up Nos

Another game of note was my matchup with Ashman in the double elim bracket went into OT 10-10. Ashman won it eventually in OT 16-10

I get the bonehead award for calling a Saints/Chargers matchup vs. Nos and he made me pay for it.

Nos is a very good player knocking myself and Ashman from the tournament.  Hopefully he can frequent the southern tourneys. With his addition to the southern Tecmo tournament scene, southern Tecmo has gotten a little bit better.

I anxiously await the TX LA Ark. rankings

Edited by suicideking81

Wow.. what a tourny. I believe I will call this one the "Kick Heard Round the Bayou". Where do I begin on this tourny... I played in two overtime games and had one game where I kept fumbling in the red zone with NOS. I believe I will start with the SuicideKing game first. I called KC NYG and Gerald took the Giants. This game seemed to be like a game of tug of war more so than a Tecmo game. Gerald had a critical fumble that I later put a drive together on and scored. This game went into overtime and then a long pass to Paige ended it 16-10 Chiefs. Gerald played solid defense and offense in this one considering the defenses we both had.

My next game against was against Boud as KC and I took CINN. In the beginning it was a volley of scoring but right before the end of the first half he elected to rush me with LB Chiefs and I burnt him on a coast to coast JR 14-14 at the half. In the second half I line up for a FG and he blocks it and my kicker runs it down to around the 20 yd line somewhere and I eventually score. This game ended in a 21-21 tie and he won the toss in OT. He took the ball and drove down to his own 45 yd line faced with a 4th and 7 decision. He selects FG which I laughed initially thinking was a mistake. Then is houses me with a 72 FG winning the game. I'm still in shock over that one..

Lastly I play NOS with MINN vs him with WAS. This game looked like it was gonna be a good one as we were both moving the ball but I coughed up two fumbles in his red zone that he turned into points and then fell too far behind to make it a game. NOS played solid and congrats on the 2ndplace finish.

Congrats to Gerald on a well organized tourny!! Good Job!

Edited by Jimmy1996

Overview: I went unbeaten but two wins were in OT.

Pool play vs. Suicideking

I called Vikings Redskins and he went with Vikings. I thought I’d maintain a comfortable lead but with a called play INT at my 5 yard line, I eventually found myself needing a TD to force OT, and as the clock ticked down I hit Gary Clark on a post diving just past the DB. Suicide won the toss but threw an INT and then I later scored a TD to win.

Pool Play vs Others

Blowouts, but I’ll make a note that I played some guy who said it was only his second game and is a Madden player.  It was a Giants 49ers matchup and he managed to get an INT by LT on Rice as well as several CCs where he just threw the ball on the primary pass route without switching.  Later that caught up as I had 4 INTs in the game.

Bracket vs Nos

Nos recap sums it up as a fumble was the difference with the game in the balance.

Nos did some good work threading the needle with Tolliver.

Bracket vs Ashman

I was cursed in the kicking game in regulation.  As usual, I blocked a FG and it was picked up by the kicker.  This time it took forever though; he picked it up in a crowd, no one made the tackle, and he ran about 30 yards.  Later I had a FG blocked and not picked up by my kicker.  Luck eventually caught up to Ashman when somehow DT picked off a pass to Holman in the back of the endzone.  I won the toss and got to the edge of FG range.

I was about 80% sure I could hit the winning FG from my 45.

Championship vs Nos

On the first drive I got Mcmillan in position for the JJ interception to get in the drivers seat.  The rest was as Nos said.

ArkLaTex to follow...