The Browns

DeBerg

I have never won a Super Bowl with CLE

I even went 15-1 and choked in the AFC Championship.

Twice to Miami, and once in a blow out beat down by Buffalo.

Is there some trick to running the ball? I have such a hard time running it with this team. Usually I can shoot the stats up easily with Kosar slinging it to Michael Jackson and Brian Kinchen but the run game is usually my death in the playoffs.

I did it, made it to the Super Bowl with these scrubs, and went 16-0

Defense was ranked #1 across the board. Gave up 1655 passing yards and only 533 rushing yards.

Both are a new record for me in defense.

For the 16-0 season I had some very close games with Houston, KC, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti and New England of all teams.

I beat New England 21-20, and it was only that close after they scored in the closing seconds. Metcalf's fumbles brought them to life and they did a lot of damage on me, but of 2 TD's, both of them were from defense running the fumbles in.

The Bengals were very tough for me. Klinger managed to rack up 200 yards passing both times, but the second time, I won 24-21 at the last minute on a drive for a field goal. The Bengals were ruthless in that game, but nevertheless when I had the opportunity to go up 21-7, Metcalf fumbled the ball and they scored after that.

Against Pittsburgh in the final weak, I won 8-7 thanks to a field goal, a safety, then another field goal to seal the come back where they led for 3 quarters.

Houston was close both times, and both times it was almost a shut out. I won 11-7 the first time, and then 3-0 the next time.

The defense bailed out the offense more times than anything. Rob Burnett with diving sacks was a life saver most the time, and M.D. Perry was the X Factor in shutting down shotgun formation snaps (normally lead to a sack or stopping the RB.

I had 6 shut outs, and that's a new record, including where I almost had a 7th shut out, had Chris Dishman not returned a Kosar INT for a TD. In the other game against Houston I shut them out 3-0.

Another shut out, I went 51-0 against Pittsburgh

My hardest game was against K.C.. I won 17-16 based off pure luck thanks to a missed extra point (and another missed field goal). I trailed 10-0 in that game, and Bernie Kosar threw 3 interceptions. I kicked a field goal before the half, then the Chiefs missed a field goal. After that, I tied the game, and in the 4th, the Chiefs drove down the field and scored, only to miss the extra point. This lead to a 3 minute, last seconds remaining game winning TD from Kosar to Carrier to win the game.

Bernie Kosar finished with 3,697 passing yards for 33 TD's and 8 INT's.

Had it not been for a few drops in a game against the Jets and Pats, Kosar would have easily had 300 passing yards in those games, and better stats, but I'll take it. He lead the stats all year while I had the worst ranked running game, only stating 590 rushing yards total cause Eric Metcalf fumbled 10 fucking times in only 10 games, and even Vardell, Wolfley and Hoard ran that stat up by fumbling 6 times combined (4 from Vardell, and 1 from Hoard and Wolfley) so it's safe to say, running the ball was suicide in this season.

In the playoffs, I got K.C. and was pretty nervous thinking about how they would have been the team to beat me had they not missed the field goal and extra point (had that game went into OT, I probably would have lost) but nevertheless, I beat them to a pulp. In a shut out 18-0, I held them for -30 rushing yards total.

AFC Championship I got Buffalo, who normally beats the shit out of me when I am the Browns, but this time I held them up. Kelly was sacked 9 times, and I won 22-14, with another field goal to run the score up in the end after Buffalo failed to convert on third down. Kosar threw a pick at midfield with 2:13 remaining and Buffalo could not convert. I was saved, and I managed to hold Buffalo to -20 rushing yards total, and that's the first time ever that Thurman Thomas has not gashed me to bone in the playoffs.

I will play either GB or SF in the Super Bowl.

Edited by DeBerg

This Super Bowl hurt....really bad.

I got the Niners, and on the opening play, young fumbled, and what could have been a touchdown was intercepted.

The game was back and forth, 3-3, 6-10, then Bernie fumbles and they scored off that, 13-10.

I was shut out offensively in the second half as Bernie went on to throw 3 more interceptions, and Young even tossed one and had a fumble.

Both QB's played like total crap in this game, and both turned the ball over 3 times, but Kosar turned it over 4 times.

20-17, after INT #4, and Young fumbles the ball and there is 5 fucking Brown players around it, but nope! It gets scooped up by the one 49er player close by after the ball bounces from 5 guys that don't pick it up.

I lost 20-17, and man this hurts. It took a lot to get this team of scrubs to go undefeated, and it wasn't Metcalf that cost me in the end. Metcalf played awesome, but I substituted Vardell for him and then put Hoard in place at FB. The Third INT was on a rush play in shotgun, I made that throw to Vardell and Hoard all year, but this time it went through his hands and was intercepted. The 4th interception was on a deep ball to Jackson and another defender jumped and got it.

That fumble on the opening play that led to the first INT of the game, could have easily been a field goal and would have forced OT, but I made the mistake of thinking they wouldn't pick it off.

Kosar had 2 games with 3 INTs, one against Pittsburgh and one against K.C.

That is my hardest Super Bowl loss and it wasn't even a blow out. I was not expecting to throw 4 INT's in that game and ultimately fuck it all up.

18-1.....at least I finally brought these scrubs to the Super Bowl. The last 4 seasons with them, I made it to the AFC Championship all four times only to get crushed by Buffalo once, and then Miami three times.

I did the 1991 season, and this time I'll do the 1992 schedule, and that way I get the Niners in week 2 and I'm going to crush them.

Edited by DeBerg

Noooooooooo!   You can't get burnt out on TSB III.  Come back home DeBerg....

LOL Once I win a Super Bowl with these scrubs on here, I'm going to tackle the Buc's on TSB III :-D 

At least I don't have to worry about not being able to run the ball in TSB III, and I miss returning those INT's for TD's :mrgreen:

haha.  Yeah something about this version of the game that I just love more than the rest. I'm hoping the guy that came in gung ho about updating it to 32 teams shows back up one day. 

It would be awesome to see a 32 team rom of the game, I've been thinking about it for years.

If anything, I would like to just be able to do uniform edits on the original rom. Make the Browns wear those nice white jerseys (along with Dallas) and switch some of the colors around a bit.

San Fran 4 Life!!!! But going 18-0 with Cleveland is not a bad season at all. I am going to play season with Dallas (never done it before) when my laptop issues get situated. Going to see what #'s I can put up with the triplets.

What teams would be good to play a season with with Mr NFL's Greatest Teams ROM? Browns maybe. Who else is on that squad besides Jim Brown.

San Fran 4 Life!!!! But going 18-0 with Cleveland is not a bad season at all. I am going to play season with Dallas (never done it before) when my laptop issues get situated. Going to see what #'s I can put up with the triplets.

What teams would be good to play a season with with Mr NFL's Greatest Teams ROM? Browns maybe. Who else is on that squad besides Jim Brown.

What's funny is that's the only time I ever went undefeated LOL. I've went 15-1 with the Niners, Cowboys (twice), and even Oilers, (including a 15-0 start but lost to the Browns in OT for the final week)

I've played plenty seasons with the Cowboys in this game and I'd even argue that their LB core is underrated. The secondary is not the greatest but I've had a lot of success with those Linebackers. Ken Norton is on the team and he can be a real beast. My only complaint is sometimes the secondary will give up a lot of passing yardage.

Mr. NFL's ROM is really fun. I've played with the Browns a lot on there, and I'd say Paul Warfield is the other great player on that offense besides Jim Brown. Gary Collins at WR is pretty good too.

i really like the Vikings team on that rom, the '98 squad with Cunnigham to throw bombs all day to Moss and Carter. One day I would love to do the 1998 season in a hack for TSB III since it would be possible to fit all 30 teams of that season.

I don't put a lot of stock in undefeated seasons for the fact once you have everything wrapped up I'm about preserving injuries. One undefeated season I remember was with SF. But a lot times that year I took out Young, Rice, Watters etc. after securing big leads trying to avoid injuries. Toughest game that season was vs NO I won 10-2. I could get nothing going on offence, couldn't run the ball, and Young was sacked I don't even know how many times. If they had any kind of an offence I may have lost that game.

I always felt the Cowboys D was underrated in TSB (as it was in real life) because they had the #1 defense that year, but not one pro bowler on D. Although Haley is a standout on D.

What I've always wanted is an "All Time" rom. The best players from the teams "Franchise" all time. It would make for a lot of Pro Bowl Teams, but it would eliminate beating down teams like Indy, NE, Phx etc. For instance....

PIT - Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Ward, Joe Greene, Woodson, Polamalu, Ham....

MIN - Tarkenton, Peterson, Carter, Moss, Page, Randle, Doleman, Jared Allen...

DAL - Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Witten, Ware, Norton, Randy White...

Would make for great season I would think, playing a classic team every week.

I don't put a lot of stock in undefeated seasons for the fact once you have everything wrapped up I'm about preserving injuries. One undefeated season I remember was with SF. But a lot times that year I took out Young, Rice, Watters etc. after securing big leads trying to avoid injuries. Toughest game that season was vs NO I won 10-2. I could get nothing going on offence, couldn't run the ball, and Young was sacked I don't even know how many times. If they had any kind of an offence I may have lost that game.

I know exactly how you feel! Saints have no offense in this game but man can that defense be a real pain in the ass late in the season or in the playoffs.

ATL gives me fits when I play with San Fran. I've never lost to them, but they know how to keep the games close and nail biters before they screw around and lose it. Most the time I will barely beat them, and they mount huge comebacks against me and always fall short.

Dusto - you're probably right it's a Greatest Teams version. I may make it myself, but I would love to do it with a 32 team ROM.

DeBerg -edit uniforms see BadAl's TSB Tool, it worked for me. It's not 100% perfect where uniforms are concerned, but it worked more than fine for me,

Also don't recall how the Falcons played me. I recall the Saints as they got a safety (their only points) and I lead 3-2 at the half. Miami got a safety on me that same season in the Super Bowl and Marino shredded me for 340+ yds but I won 28-23. I was killing Dallas in the NFC championship won the toss - deferred - and was up 14-0 stopped them again and then fumbled the punt. It was a dog fight from there but I won 21-17. Aikman went loco in the 2nd half, had trouble slowing him down.

Dusto - you're probably right it's a Greatest Teams version. I may make it myself, but I would love to do it with a 32 team ROM.

DeBerg -edit uniforms see BadAl's TSB Tool, it worked for me. It's not 100% perfect where uniforms are concerned, but it worked more than fine for me,

Also don't recall how the Falcons played me. I recall the Saints as they got a safety (their only points) and I lead 3-2 at the half. Miami got a safety on me that same season in the Super Bowl and Marino shredded me for 340+ yds but I won 28-23. I was killing Dallas in the NFC championship won the toss - deferred - and was up 14-0 stopped them again and then fumbled the punt. It was a dog fight from there but I won 21-17. Aikman went loco in the 2nd half, had trouble slowing him down.

Niners secondary always bends like that with me, guys like Marino and Moon can really shred it to pieces. I won 3 Super Bowls with them, but I will never forget a regular season game against an undefeated Houston team where I went up 17-0 only to have 4 fumbles and end up losing 31-24 after an impressive start based off some rare Moon interceptions.

You're right about the Niners secondary, it can be vulnerable at times. The do a good job for the majority of the time but like you said a top notch QB can do some damage. Aikman and Marino got to me, although they dealt with everyone else. I'm happy to hear fumbles cost you a game, just so I know it's not just happening to me. Frustrates me to no end. Great drive then a fumble, or a punt or deep in your own end and... fumble. Makes me wanna punch someone.

Keep the season recaps coming (and stories of games) I like reading them.

No more undefeated season for these Brownies, and boy am I pissed off.

I went 13-0 and had a really good run using the 1992 schedule which is a lot harder than the 91 one.

The NFC North teams are brutal, especially late in the season.

All four NFC North games were a nightmare

Green Bay

The Packers scored early with Favre bombs and then couldn't do shit for the rest of the half. Favre was sacked in the endzone for a safety, then I scored 16-7, and then in the 4th quarter, GB finally got going with long ass bombs again and they put points on the board making it 16-14, I end up punting (for the 3rd time in a row) and then the Packers get ready to march down the field but Favre gets sacked, fumbles, and it's returned for a touchdown. 23-14 After that they did 2 run plays that were stopped, and then after a failed 4th down, I run the score up, 30-14, and then yet again the Packers fumble, and that turned into another touchdown, 37-14.

I have NEVER beat the Packers with the Browns. They always always beat me at the last minute, so this was a great beat down but it could have easily been a come back had those fumbles not happened. I couldn't get any drive going except where they fumbled deep in their own territory. Reggie White and Bernie Kosar were best pals in this game.

37-14

Minnesota

This was a classic, easily the best game of the season. Opening kick off, Browns score 7-0 after Kosar gets some miracle passes with being chased around by Doleman. Then the Vikings punt, then Metcalf fumbles the return and it's brought back for a score. 7-7, after that I was stalled and couldn't do anything. Vikings get the ball back and drive down the field and score. 14-7. Before the half, I try to muster a drive and at midfield, Kosar was picked off, and we go into the half 7-14.

Entire second half, Vikings can't do jack shit, I managed to get a safety, and then a small drive led to a field goal off that. 12-14. Yet again Vikings can't do nothing but they stale the drives with first downs. I got down to the red zone TWICE and Kosar threw a pick BOTH TIMES.

In the fourth quarter, we both trade punts and Minnesota finally gets it going. They drive down to the 30 and kick a field goal with under 2 minutes to go. by now I was ready to give up as it was 12-17.

So on the final drive, all hell goes loose. Kosar over throws a wide open Jackson in what could have been a 70 yard bomb, Kinchen drops a deep ball, and even Vardell drops one. But with 30 seconds to go I swung a deep one to Jackson (moved him to #2 receiver after Carrier was injured) and he catches it. With 12 seconds to go and the ball at the Vikings 21 yard line, Kosar drops back and throws that miracle ball to a wide open Jackson as he reaches the endzone, and the Browns win as the clock reaches zero

19-17

Chicago

Lots of scoring but not a lot of points. Bears scored on opening drive. I couldn't do nothing. Harbaugh ran for his life all day long. And we go into the second half 7-0 after two Browns drives put me close to scoring and were intercepted (just like last game).

At the end of the 3th quarter, I blocked a punt and got a safety. So the next drive in the 4th, i was thinking I could settle for a field goal but got lucky and got a wide open TD so now it's 9-7. Bears don't do nothing after this but get sacked and another safety. 11-7. Then on the Bears final drive still in the game, they got to the 50 before going 3 and out on their 4th down play they were sacked. I kicked a field goal to run the score up cause I'm an ass to these fuckers.

So in total, there were 4 scores in the 4th quarter - 2 safeties, a touchdown and a field goal. A whole lot of scoring just for 14 points.

14-7 Browns

Detroit

What a nightmare. Of all teams it had to be the fucking Lions. OK, the Lions started off real hot. Peete gets sacked, then Barry Sanders stopped twice and they were backed up to a 3rd down and 27, and then miracuasly, Peete throws a bomb to Perriman who takes it 60 yards down field. Then another pass, and they are in the redzone, but Peete fumbles it. Then I go 3 and out, punt. This time the Lions drive right back down the field and Barry runs it for a touchdown. 7-0

So I spent the entire second quarter driving down the field for Bernie to throw a TD....then with 2:40 all it takes is two plays for Rodney Peete to throw two insanely accurate bombs to Herman Moore and Brett Perriman and it's 14-7.

With under 2 minutes to go, i launched a bomb to Kinchen for 60 yards, put the Browns in the redzone with 40 seconds to go and then Kosar throws a goddamn pick intended for Vardell on a blitz play (same thing happened to me in the Super Bowl the pass was over thrown and intercepted) in the endzone, and that takes points off the board.

I get the ball in the second half, have to go for it on 4th down to keep a drive alive, then another 4th down only I don't covert this time thanks to Kinchen dropping the fucking ball (wide open too on a short throw).

So I sack Peete three times, then the punt is blocked and returned for a touchdown. But get this, the Lions blocked the extra point, so it's only 13-14.

Next Lions drive, they are forced to punt again as I sack Peete for 3 more times, and this punt is blocked again but it's a safety.

Time is becoming a factor in the fourth, but I can only muster a field goal against these guys, and I do it with around 1:20 left. 18-14 Browns

So what do the Lions do? They get sacked twice, with one time out, Peete throws to a COVERED Herman Moore who some how don't go down and goes for 45 fucking yards. Then at midfield another pass, this time to a double covered Holman who manages to get a first down. 40 seconds to go, and another completed pass this time to the 21 yard line.....22 seconds to go and a deep ball is incomplete. 6 seconds to go, last play of the game, what are they gonna do? They give it to Barry Sanders and he runs it in all the way after breaking a tackle.

21-18 and I am still pissed about this game.

I normally struggle with Detroit when I play them late in the season (they gave me many hard games in my Tampa bay seasons and were the hardest team for me to beat) but this game sucked. I had an extra point blocked on me, and plus where Kosar threw the pick in the endzone, that could have easily been a field goal and then the missed extra point would have made it 22-21, or even without the missed extra point, the Lions would have just been tying the game for OT.

There goes the Undefeated season for me! I have Houston next and last time I played them I beat the living snot out of them, 41-7 (biggest blow out I have ever had against the Oilers) but I don't expect the same thing to happen again.

Best game against Houston ever.

60-10 epic beat down in the snow.

Oilers came in at 10-3 while I was 12-1, I beat them to a pulp.

It was 21-0 in the first quarter alone, opening drive for a TD, Moon fumbles, TD off that, Moon throws a bad pick to Moore, that turns into a TD. In the 4th quarter, I scored 28 points, 2 safeties, a few TD's and a field goal.

Houston could not do nothing in this game. Metcalf fumbled twice deep in CLE territory, giving them a field goal and a touchdown but it was 35-0 before the Oilers even scored.

I finished the season 15-1. I have never totally dominated Houston before in a season. 41-7 the first time, then 60-10 the second round, and they are in the playoffs and have a weak 9-7 Denver team to play before the winner gets to go to 13-3 S.D. I think Houston will roll both of them and then the AFC Championship will be a breeze, but I have to play the winner of the Jets/Bills, and I'm rooting for the Jets of course.

Dallas went undefeated in the NFC. First time I have ever had a team go totally undefeated by the COM playing, and they were winning games by big scores in blow outs and shut outs.

Houston is on juice so far in the playoffs.

I messed up, sorry, they got Pittsburgh and not Denver. Who they rolled 35-17. It was 35-7 at one point and the Steelers got a field goal and then a TD in the closing seconds of the game.

This is the third time in a row I've played a season and got New Orleans and San Fran as a playoff game, and the last two times, the Niners rolled them in a 24-7 blow out and last year an even worse 27-3 blow out.

What's funny is the Saints were 13-3 last year,and the Niners were 9-7 and they got beat to a bloody pulp.

I'm expecting the Saints to lose again

EDIT: 17-14 Niners so far in this game. Saints could have tied it, but Andersen missed a makeable kick.

P.S. why does Morten Andersen suck in this game? Everytime I watch the COM play against me another COM, he always, always misses those long field goals that he was known for during his career. I just don't understand it. He used to be my favorite Saints player when I was a kid, and you would think he would be the Queen piece of a chess board when it comes to the Saints and how they relied on his leg to win so many close games back in the Mora era, yet when the COM plays as him, he always misses.

The first time SF and NO played in the playoffs, Saints lost 9-0 where SF put up 3 field goals, and Morten Andersen missed all three of his.

Second game against SF, he missed 2 field goals.

So far in this game, he's missed one that would have tied the game and made it a back and forth one.

EDIT: Andersen nailed a 56 yarder, but Saints got blown out...again. 31-17, they could not keep up with SF in this game, Wilson threw a bad pick. Saints Defense got absolutely torn to bits as they couldn't stop Rice and Taylor.

SF to ATL for Divisional Round. Falcons went 13-3 and actually beat SF by 1 point in the regular season (34-35)

Edited by DeBerg

Wow Houston, just wow.

They managed to blow over Pittsburgh and then barely beat the Chargers in an OT nail biter where Greco missed 3 short field goals before Humphries 5th and final turnover put them in the red zone.

Humphries fucking blows. 3 INT's and 2 fumbles against Houston, and they still managed to go into OT at 7-7 since neither offense could do nothing. Well that's not really true, cause Houston kept missing field goals.

So I got the Oilers and Browns in the AFCCG and this time I shut them out. 49-0, just like when I put 41 on them in Houston and 60 on them in the final weeks of the regular season.

They went 12-4, and got totally mauled by my Browns all 3 times. They had no chance whatsoever.

Never had a shut out in the AFC Championship game. Moon threw a pick and fumbled 3 times. Jerry Ball, M.D. Perry and Rob Burnett - the wrecking ball crew.

The Job is done, brought the Lombardi to Cleveland.

Got the Niners in a rematch for the Super Bowl, beat then 31-28 with a Kosar led final drive to get the lead. Had to over come a 14-0 start thanks to Metcalf fumbling. The game ended with Rob Burnett sacking Steve Young. Best Super Bowl come back ever. Kosar finished with 4 TD's and 358 passng yards with a 90% completion rate to make up for his lousy 4 INT performance in the previous Super Bowl.