Tecmo Bowl Throwback

MvG Sports

To those that own/have played this game...what are your thoughts?

I wanted to buy it when it came out, but I've never played it.  After viewing some reviews and Youtube videos, the game looks very lathargic, players look to move very slow and deliberately, and the fact that it's meant to have the same rosters as TSB for SNES/Genesis made it more unappealing because I could A. download it on my computer and play it on an emulator (which I do) or B. buy an actual used cartridge for $5...much less than the $29.99? they were selling it at to begin with.  The "play the old game" feature is basically worthless to me for the aforementioned reasons as well.

I always wanted to get opinions from those (very) familiar with the title, because it never looked good to me from the jump.  Can't wait to hear some stuff.  Take care guys.

Trevor

I bought it for both systems, purely for support, in hopes they continue to produce a new game. I really liked the new graphics they used, but the overall fact that it was the '93 version and lack of editing uniforms, rosters and ratings killed it for me. If they would've implemented full customization, I would've played the hell out of this, just for the fresh new look alone. It's worth a few bucks though.

Good stuff, Elway.  Full customization would have basically made this game replayable forever.  It's a very fair request too, especially if they never intended to release another version of it, which seems pretty clear.

Edited by MvG Sports

Lacks of teams, players, colors, customization and whatever else didn't matter all that much because the gameplay sucked. It was touted as a SNES "port" to a modern platform, but after speaking to the devs we debunked that theory pretty quick.

It is interesting that you say the 2D view was worthless to you. That was probably the crowning feature. There are an intense amount of Tecmo players out there who don't have a retro console and who don't know how or don't want to emulate. Having OG Tecmo, of some sort, playable on a modern console is a dream waiting to be fulfilled.

I remember downloading it at 3am on release day because I was up studying for a final.  

I played it all day and got rank 1 on XBL.  but it was awful.  i barely played it after the first day.  Online play was messed up and it was never patched.  

**edit:  I guess it wasn't "awful" but it was just so disappointing.

tecmo.jpg

Edited by stalltalk

Lacks of teams, players, colors, customization and whatever else didn't matter all that much because the gameplay sucked. It was touted as a SNES "port" to a modern platform, but after speaking to the devs we debunked that theory pretty quick.

It is interesting that you say the 2D view was worthless to you. That was probably the crowning feature. There are an intense amount of Tecmo players out there who don't have a retro console and who don't know how or don't want to emulate. Having OG Tecmo, of some sort, playable on a modern console is a dream waiting to be fulfilled.

To be honest Dave, I think if I owned the game, the 2D version would be the only version I'd play...did this "WR comeback to the ball" thing happen on the 2D as well?  The 3D looks very slow and lathargic...I'd give it a whirl, but I think I'd be very underwhelmed.

Since they didn't use real teams or players, I don't understand why they didn't/couldn't update the rosters to the end of 2009 or the start of 2010...that at least gives a pretty big wrinkle to play it a lot.  I think I was the most letdown when I heard it was just going to be the 1993 or 1991 rosters or whatever...it's like damn, I can already do/play that.

One last thing, just in general, I can't believe people have trouble with and/or don't want to use an emulator...it's basically as easy as downloading "the system", downloading your favorite games, and double clicking to start them...maybe a min or 2 to calibrate your stick, but damn, it's free and it's basically the version as it was, as you/I/we remember it.  I'm aware it might not be the same exact feel, but it is very very very close.

Good stuff btw for everyone that's responded...thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I finally played this the other day. And although it could be better I definitely enjoy the the game a lot.  I'll agree with a few points already made here.  One being that this is definitely not just the SNES code revised.   There is no such thing as a long bomb.  You can throw far down the field but it seems to always be behind your receiver and they run back to it.  This would make it really tough in man I'd imagine as it's pretty easy to predict an interception.

The running game feels a little better.  I randomized the team names so I wouldn't be able to guess who was who as easily (the static endzones unfortunately give it away in 3d mode).   I was killing it with Tommy Vardell's stunt double.  As a sim guy I kind of enjoy the brand new names and having the teams be more of a mystery than just renaming them to the 93 game.

I share the sentiment that 32 teams and customization would have changed this from enjoyable to amazing for me. Hopefully they make that happen with their next offering.  Along with adding some of the Tecmo iii features like audibles, defense formations, improved timeouts, tackle tracking etc.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This is cheaper now I picked it up, I don't see what all the complaints are about.  slow and lethargic? It plays like the snes version which yes can be described as slower than the nes version I suppose. Everything is pretty much the same But oh you can't throw 90 yards bombs, who cares I still beat the cpu like 40-3 my first game. It's the same.

there is a name editor, maybe this was added later?

But no att, uni, or number editor's.

I don't mean to piss anyone off. I like the game. It's good to point out differences like no bombs is a change but I don't think it effects gameplay. 

Tecmo would have been wise to have a full blown editor.. I can make tedy bridgewater but he's white, number 00 and has a red uniform.

seriously, how do you even interpret that so-called hexagonal display - is it: the higher (better) the value, the line is closer to the tick-mark?

maybe the world is just not ready for such advanced (and insanely vague) numerical representations?  tecmo has always been ahead of the times, a little bit.

hexadong.jpg

Edited by buck

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/24/2016 at 11:00 PM, COA Elway said:

I'm still trying to learn how to hack this puppy. I got the game to open in my hex editor. Code is very different though. Definitely not the same as the snes.

I to am wondering if you have any luck in hacking this version?  I enjoyed the new look lack of editors killed it for me.  If you or anyone else has hacked it by now id be greatly interested, thanks!

Troy

• 1 year later...