Seattle, WA - 04/12/14 - Pac-Rim Tecmo II

SirTed

SirTed's Pac-Rim II Recap

First - just a thanks to everyone for coming out and supporting. One of the great things about the Tecmo scene for me is the relationship between online and live. I love coming on here (almost) every day and chatting with folks, seeing what's going on, and watching a game or two of Tecmo. That said - the online world just can't compete with live events. Really getting to spend time with all the folks that were there was a huge thrill for me. One of my absolute favorite days of the year. Hopefully we can talk Manyo into another PNW come summer.

First and foremost - the format was really tough on vets this year. For the opening games I did my best to match the vets up with one another on as a close a level as possible within the structure of the tourney, knowing full well that each of us would need to win 2 out of 3 to make it into the knockout round.

My first game was a better than you would expect slug fest between myself and TBK. He clearly brought a new playbook and strategy to our game, and probably should have won it, to be honest. I got a int with Lake in the end zone in the first qtr and got a chase down on the last play of the 1st half, tackling him at the 1. I think I won by 7.

I wont bother you with my next game against Grip. He deserved to win and he did. I had the MO at one point getting an overthrown int from Miller / Millen already up 3 or 7 (not sure) only to throw it away on the next play. Dumb.

Game of the day for me (and maybe the tourney???) was an elite 8 match-up with the Cinderella of the tourney, Stanley. I think the match-up was SD (stan) vs. KC (Ted). The details of the game are a little fuzzy (more on this, later). If the events are out of order, I apologize. All I can really tell you from the game is - after a deadlocked regulation, I had one last play and heaved it to Paige for the JJ TD...only the Tecmo gods were looking for Karma as I was dive tackled on the 1 yard line to close out regulation. Then in OT I had a FG lined up perfectly with Lowery only to have it BLOCKED by O'neal!!!

DOUBLE OT!!!!!

After receiving the kick in 2nd OT I stalled out on the first series. Who knows what came over me, but facing a 4th and 8 on my 20yrd line I decided I was going for it. Shock came over the room. I suspected I could get the match-up I was looking for - and sure enough, called r1 toss with Stanley settling for O'neal. Pretty sure I broke a big one there, setting up Lowery for the game winner. It was a great game, and I didn't have anything left.

I promptly shit the bed in my next match-up with Grip. He deserved the win again, and likely would have won if I was on top of my game but there was NO chance I was taking that one home.

My big take away this year:

1. PED's -

I Need a better balance when it comes to "sportsman's beverages". Last year, hardly drank at all because I was running around frantic (finished 3rd). This year, drank waaaay too much to have any hope (finished 3rd), hmmm.

2. Format -

I am a fan of the format, even if it punishes the top tier guys a little. While a few guys were probably knocked out earlier than they would have liked, I don't think anyone would or could argue that a more deserving champ was out there. Invader. Wow. What a great performance. He didn't lose a game all day. I'm really glad I could call him out of retirement for this. Now he's got the PNW belt though, so he better get used to being seen.

3. Myth Busting -

I almost hate to say anything because in a way, I could be taking away from a huge "national" draw of PNW Tecmo but I think it's necessary. Re: Tailback King. Without a doubt, he is one of, if not the most fun player / person at these tourneys. I know, despite everything that most if not all of you out there would love this dude. ANNNND despite his over all tourney record, and his perception - dude can play some Tecmo. He just happens to be insanely loyal to a horrible team ;)

Along those same lines, I'd like to address the one character that was conspicuously absent from the festivities on Saturday. The Fiasco From Pasco himself, Scandalous Randalous Fairfied. No doubt the field could have used the boost in competition, and seeing him waltz around with his medals on probably would have boiled a little blood but Randy did make an appearance on Friday night for the pre-funk. Again, shocking as it may be - (and perhaps he wouldn't want me to share either) Randy was awesome. Just a super nice guy. I was really glad he made it out, and it definitely surprised me, even though every other time I've seen him at live events he was nice for the most part.

Finally, a shout out to Manyo. Thanks for coming through and setting up the stream and all that. To be honest, I have little idea of what goes into it but I know it's gotta be a pain in the ass. Thanks for doing man. I hope your tourney juices are flowing, and you're already dreaming up PNW. I'm looking forward to it, and of course let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

1493156_10203497260774199_14839580958335

Am I the only one who noticed Invader's head pullin' a disapereing act???  What the hell is that!!?  Ha hA Ha!!!  He's trying to cloak himself!!!  That must mean he cheated in the tourney putting Jedi spells on the game!!!  That's why he WON!

Edited by ~Tailback King~

I realize this is a joke and an exaggeration, but it just made me think. A blood alcohol level of 1.7 would be enough to kill a horse much less a human being. A BA level of 0.3 would be high enough to threaten the life of a casual drinker. However, I have dealt with patients that are walking around and talking to me with a BA level of 0.35 - 0.45 due to their extreme tolerance that they've developed. Anyone else would be at least comatose if not dead.

I realize this is just putting a joke into perspective, but a blood alcohol level of 1.7 is impossible, because it's a scale of 0 to 1 on how much percentage of your blood is alcohol, so 1.7 would mean your blood is 170% alcohol.

I realize this is just putting a joke into perspective, but a blood alcohol level of 1.7 is impossible, because it's a scale of 0 to 1 on how much percentage of your blood is alcohol, so 1.7 would mean your blood is 170% alcohol.

When will people EVER LEARN!!!???? Matt, you were there with Rudy! Hidden STATS YO!!!!!

TBKing Liver ATTs   .................  175  AA  (alcohol Absorption)

• 3 weeks later...

gripsmoke's tourney recap

HALFTIME

Knowing that, at 3-0, I'll have a bye and a while to wait, I get food and do some hanging out with the people there. Glad not to be the only smoker this time, so I had some people to talk to during those timeouts. Highlight was when this woman parked her car in front of the bar. Apparently she runs a business that sells barf bags.

2014-04-12%2014.55.31.jpg

I saw this lady driving around yesterday. Yes!

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2014 at 11:25 AM, SirTed said:

-------------------------------------------------SPECIAL EVENT--------------------------------------------------

FRIDAY, 4.11.14

The Showdown We've All Been Waiting For!!!

photo-9034.jpg?_r=1392605329 VS 988821_10203463194802571_767063453518119

A BEST OF 7 SERIES with cash and PNW bragging rights on the line.

The BLOODSHED Begins at 8:30pm PST

(pm me for address details if you want to attend the live event)

Delicious Domestics and Manny's Pale Ale will be available for those attending - FREE (while supplies last)

(BYOB also strongly encouraged)

As well as last minute prep for Pac-Rim II the following day.

Tecmo, multiple TV's, Free Beer, and a front row seat to the showdown of the century.

Any and all welcome!

TECMO SUPER-BRAWL!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

From the above evening, a fun glitch

On 5/5/2016 at 9:18 AM, SirTed said:

Can't wait for July! 

that was a fun couple of days. I gotta get back on the ball and crank out another Pac-Rim. 

It's been tough to motivate though. Now that the PNWTC is at the compound, Pac-Rim at a bar just doesn't stand up. 

Yeah......it DOES!!!  Havin' it in a bar gets Tecmobowl the well deserved exposure it DESERVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...