Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball Editing/Hacking Tips and 1996 Hack info

MvG Sports

Thanks to Kelvin and his dedication to the game, I've seemed to have figured out how to edit Ken Griffey Jr. baseball with the KGB Editor.  Everything seems to save, I haven't really put anything into motion just yet, but all of the changes I've made, save, even putting in 10s in the attribute categories.

I hope Kelvin doesn't object to those of us wanting to bastardize his rom, but if you go to his website and DL his 2014 rom, you should be able to make and save edits as you need on that ROM.  I haven't tested it beyond saving a guy named F.UCKYOU lol, but it seems to work.

Here is Kelvin K's site... http://kelvinlkoster.wix.com/gospelofgriffey

Hope it sticks!  Take care.

Trevor

Gonna be tracking my notes here as I find nuances...

- Can't set ERA above 5.11 or else it will assume the ERA of the pitcher previous.

Odd, because pitcher #17 S. Pelland (Russ Swan) on Seattle has a visible 9.15 ERA among several othersIt shows his ERA in the KGB Editor as 5.05, the same as Tim Leary's, along with 3 others.  I've also found this hiccup present in other hacks (i.e. the 2003 Pennant Race version...Denny Stark and Darren Oliver have the same ERA at 5.03, when Stark's final ERA was 5.83

- MAX pitcher rating (SP + CO + FA) is 30 (10-10-10) but you have to enter it as 1-10-10 to get it to come up that way.  This is a weird editor lol.

- MAX batter rating (BT + PO + SP + FD) iis 40 (10-10-10-10) and in order to get it, you have to enter 11-0-11-0.  The way it works is say you have a batter that you want to rate as 8 BT and 10 PO, you have to do whatever BT number you want +1 and put 0 for PO...so your input would be 9-0 and the output would be 8-10...make sense?

Edited by MvG Sports

Haven't worked too much with it, but it looks like the ratings could be a bit of a meal, but considering I couldn't save anything before, I'm stoked!  I have a fair amount of admin work to do before I start in depth editing the game...need to get these rosters and lineups/lineup orders right, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna be tracking my notes here as I find nuances...

- Can't set ERA above 5.11 or else it will assume the ERA of the pitcher previous.

Odd, because pitcher #17 S. Pelland (Russ Swan) on Seattle has a visible 9.15 ERA among several othersIt shows his ERA in the KGB Editor as 5.05, the same as Tim Leary's, along with 3 others.

Edited by MvG Sports

I played around with the all-time team rom he made from his sight.  I was pretty sweet, no Bo anywhere to be found?  My wish list would be a way to extract game by game stats.  I know the game keeps good season stats( if they dont get erased at the all star break), but to move them to an excel sheet would be awesome. I can dream i guess. 

I played around with the all-time team rom he made from his sight.  I was pretty sweet, no Bo anywhere to be found?  My wish list would be a way to extract game by game stats.  I know the game keeps good season stats( if they dont get erased at the all star break), but to move them to an excel sheet would be awesome. I can dream i guess. 

I am certainly not that talented, just want to bang out at least one hack with what I consider to be the best baseball game ever made.  The HR deletion circa the ASB is quite annoying.  Also fwiw, I know Bo Jackson is a backup OF on the White Sox in the original version of the game...the guy with a .232 AVG and 16 HR.

I am also not that talented, just a wish.  I would agree with you i had more fun with this baseball game then any other.  I still play when i get a chance against friends.  I was kind of joking about Bo not being on all time rom.   just with this being a super tecmo forum and all, and knowing what a video game version of Bo can do.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

An update...I have 18 of the team rosters fully input (though I might have to change a few of the pitching rotations around) trying to adhere to plate appearances and innings pitched as closely as possible, while reflecting the most common real life lineups and pitching rotations, thanks to baseball reference.  Once I finish with the rosters, I will have to still change/input the ratings and adjust the player races and batting stances.  I'm intending to keep the stances of the 1993 version for those players that are in my 1996 version, but we'll see how that plays out.  The stances will seem to be the hardest thing to do, since I can pretty well quantify everything else.  Hoping to be done by the end of the month, but no guarantees really.  The rosters are time consuming and I'm rather particular about setting them up.  So that's that...carry on :)

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to post an update on this since I'm working on it tonight...below is the post I made on Facebook regarding the hack.  I hope to be done by the end of the month, however there is still a lot to be done, as you can/will see below.  Take care.

For those that may givadam, I will have all the pitchers stats, uniform numbers, ratings, and stances done by the end of the night for my 1996 hack of Ken Griffey Jr. Presents: Major League Baseball for the SNES...hack just meaning that I'm transforming all the rosters from the original 1993 game/rom into the rosters from 1996, being as accurate as possible in regards to lineups and pitching staffs. I still have a fair amount of work to do as far as the batters ago, all of the ratings needed to be decided and input (still not completely certain what I'm doing with SPEED or FIELDING), and I need to determine probably 100+ races/stances as well before this thing is ready for BADA...*ahem*...beta testing, though I feel it should be pretty close to a finished product when I trot it out, it might just need a few minor tweaks. I'll keep you posted and will let you know where you can dl the ROM/game when complete. Just a last little fun fact, I'm calling this project SWANGIN' (yes in reference to the Drake song that isn't the title lol) since 1996 was the first year since 1987? that the total MLB HR record was broken (I believe the season with the most HR to date is now 2000 tho). Ok done...have a good eve

Well I got all of the batters' races and stances done today, leaving the only thing to do being the batter ratings, which is a big only.  I really want to have this done by the end of the month if not sooner.  I think i know how I'm going to rate batting/contact, power, and speed (though those need ironing), however I'm not sure what I'm going to do about arm/defense/fielding.  All throws are on target in this game so the arm/defense rating is basically how hard a guy throws, which is tough to determine...you/I can't really just jimmy fielding percentage and pop out a number for this.  I think another guy on here that did a 2003? hack had all the fielding ratings the same...I might consider doing that, with a boost to gold glovers in 1996.  Any opinions/suggestions?

BTW, I beta-ed 5 innings of this the other night and I was quite stoked/pleased, and that's with a fair amount of work still needing to be done.  Ok, that's the update.  Take care.

What Hank said, and apparently there is already a 2014 version floating around.  With how the league/game is setup, the only "true" hacks you can make for this game are 1994-1997, and if you want to get very particular, interleague play began in 1997 and the Angels became the Anaheim Angels and were California no longer.  Arizona and Tampa Bay jump into the fold in 1998, thus there's a pretty small window if you do it "right"

I updated the 1st post with information on how to give batters a perfect rating.  I discovered this after 11PM last night so I'm quite pumped about it lol.  Making pretty good progress...might be ready for BETA this weekend?  We shall see...I'll keep you posted.

• 3 years later...

Reading this thread, in regards to fielding I developed a method that works for me.

7 is average.  The average fielder will have a 7 fielding rating.

On Baseball-Reference.com, there are fielding stats, including a fielder's fielding percentage and a league average for their respective position.  I compare the two.  If a fielder's percentage is higher, I'll rate higher.  If the fielder's percentage is similar or higher/lower by a point or two, I'll rate a 7.  If lower, I rate lower.  The player will get a point or two bump if they're a Gold Glove winner.

Catchers, I rate differently.  Again, average is 7.  On Baseball-Reference.com, there is a stat for catchers that shows the percentage of base-runners he throws out on steal attempts, and the league average.  Again, higher % = higher rating, and lower % = lower rating.

7 hours ago, Baron von Lector said:

Reading this thread, in regards to fielding I developed a method that works for me.

7 is average.  The average fielder will have a 7 fielding rating.

On Baseball-Reference.com, there are fielding stats, including a fielder's fielding percentage and a league average for their respective position.  I compare the two.  If a fielder's percentage is higher, I'll rate higher.  If the fielder's percentage is similar or higher/lower by a point or two, I'll rate a 7.  If lower, I rate lower.  The player will get a point or two bump if they're a Gold Glove winner.

Catchers, I rate differently.  Again, average is 7.  On Baseball-Reference.com, there is a stat for catchers that shows the percentage of base-runners he throws out on steal attempts, and the league average.  Again, higher % = higher rating, and lower % = lower rating.

Interesting and thanks for weighing in, though when I do a project, I like to do things my way...I'm revisiting my files and notes and we'll see what happens...it's not you, it's me lol...thanks again for all the help man...you've done a ton more hacks than I have thus, congrats.

• 2 months later...
On 10/5/2017 at 4:50 PM, SwGJordan said:

When I try to download the 2014 version from the site you reference, the link appears to be dead. Would anyone be able to send the roms?

I hear http://barongaming.weebly.com/ has ROMs similar to 2014, maybe even some more recent ones.  Perhaps there is even a Legends-themed one, as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anybody noticed the editor sometimes won't show the physique/batting stance that you select in the editor once you go in the game? I notice a lot of times I want to use the ripped/muscular stance and instead it gives me the beefcake/fat buff physique. Sometimes it also doesn't let me seem to use a specific physique/stance with certain skin tones either. Kind of frustrating. I know not every skin tone or hair length has every stance available in the editor which kind of sucks. Does anybody know a way around this or how to correct the glitch? 

Anyways, it is still awesome to be able to edit, but the issues kind of hamper the ease or fun of it.

I also notice the editor causes a glitch where the batting gloves and white reflection on the helmets turn all orange/yellow. Not that noticeable until you see it, but annoying none the less.

I am working on a HOF version myself now and am almost done! 

Edited by Darth Brett