Joey gats to madison fund

Rob,

Goodwill really isn't a charity. 

Technically perhaps not?  But it's still better than giving money to someone I don't know (in my opinion).  And it's a win-win because I get a tax break as well.

Per Wikipedia:

Goodwill Industries International Inc. is a nonprofit 501©(3) organization that provides job training, employment placement services, and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities. In addition, Goodwill Industries may hire Veterans, individuals that lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill is funded by a massive network of retail thrift stores which operate as nonprofits as well.

Technically perhaps not?  But it's still better than giving money to someone I don't know (in my opinion).  And it's a win-win because I get a tax break as well.

Per Wikipedia:

Goodwill Industries International Inc. is a nonprofit 501©(3) organization that provides job training, employment placement services, and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities. In addition, Goodwill Industries may hire Veterans, individuals that lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill is funded by a massive network of retail thrift stores which operate as nonprofits as well.

not all non profits are created equally. One has to look at how much of the donation goes towards operating costs and principal.  I'm not claiming to know the bottom line at goodwill.  Yet there are a lot of modern charities I would not give money to if I found that a significantly larger percentage of the donation went to operating costs.

Technically giving a person money directly is better than any charitable organization.  There is no operating costs for this.  I mean yes I am buying a share of gas for a trip I would make anyways but also that would be the first thing to be paid out of my pocket if the response had not been so large.  Same for the room fee.  Since that means 100% is going to the charity I am far beyond the best of charities.

As for this trust issue,  That's the risk in charity.  I don't just plan to give the money away nor do I think the small amount left over is going to go to something counterproductive.  I plan to get to know Joe better over the next month to try to assure myself of that but its part of the risk.  A risk if I had felt was too high I would have never tried this.

In fact i think many of them feed of the tax return aspect to make enough to pay jobs for people.  Yes they do some good but a true charity should be about charity first.  A tax benefit, if any should just be a consequence.

Edited by mort1237

hey, from what I've seen - stuff at goodwill is really cheap and that's what really helps people/shoppers - being able to buy cheap clothes,toys, or books for their kids or something like that.  if they go and start giving workers/volunteers big salaries, they will start jacking up the prices.  and then what happens?

when I donate clothes or my kids old clothes or toys or something to a goodwill or whatever, I am not thinking of the volunteer that is working at the store selling it - I am thinking of the little triggers that will be wearing that 25 cent shirt and be happy.

Edited by buck

Actually, a lot of charities are pretty much shit.

that list is sickening to be honest.  I had this conversation with Ryan McKay in a Cle tourney and I did not realize just how bad the percentages where.  I thought it as like 20 or 30 percent to the charity.  Not 2 or 3 for example.

hey, from what I've seen - stuff at goodwill is really cheap and that's what really helps people/shoppers - being able to buy cheap clothes,toys, or books for their kids or something like that.  if they go and start giving workers/volunteers big salaries, they will start jacking up the prices.  and then what happens?

when I donate clothes or my kids old clothes or toys or something to a goodwill or whatever, I am not thinking of the volunteer that is working at the store selling it - I am thinking of the little triggers that will be wearing that 25 cent shirt and be happy.

I find the salvation army store has amazing prices on old appliances and clothing.  Same as Buffalo city mission and Amvets.  That's what we have around here.

When I was in Memphis I went to both Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity to buy some clothes for work.  Now they had similar prices on clothes.  But the prices for furniture pieces where ridiculously high.  Or so it seemed to me.

Wasn't trying to turn this thread into a debate about charities, thanks a lot Brude... hah

To each his own, just expressing my 2 cents.  Wish I could come to Madison, hopefully someday.  I can't afford the plane tickets from FL, let alone time away from work and family.  In about 25 years when I'm retired maybe I'll make it if you guys are still alive and running the tournament.  We'll make it a combination Tecmo tournament and wheelchair race.

thanks for the props guys.  I assume this is me?

You are correct sir, and you're welcome.

I wonder if people would actually pay someone to play them in Tecmo online, guys like Mort, Chet, Sobhi, Regulator, Sconnie ... not sure anyone is a household name quite yet.  Call it Legends of Tecmo lol.

Sorry for totally derailing this thread, looks like Joey got enough to make the trip out. Mission accomplished.

Edited by edisaurusrex

Bolt,

When you say check on Gats what do you mean? make sure he is going? I talk to the guy daily and I am extremely confident that he has no intention of letting mort or anyone else down. The guy says he is going and he will no reason to hound him.

any updates on joe's personal life are up to him.  things sound good.  is all i will say.  Just as many donors want privacy he still has a right to the same about his personal affairs.  As for updates you will get check my first post where i update expenditures.  that will give you an idea that he is working on his game for madison with the purchase of nintendo original controllers.

Bolt,

When you say check on Gats what do you mean? make sure he is going? I talk to the guy daily and I am extremely confident that he has no intention of letting mort or anyone else down. The guy says he is going and he will no reason to hound him.

I think he meant "check please" as in "can I get my money back" ...  TOO LATE SUCKAZZZ!!!   :twisted:

sucka_899.jpg

• 3 weeks later...