Harlan, IA - 02/08/14 - 4th Annual Tecmo Harlan (DATE CHANGE TO FEB 8TH)

thedotz

Knobbe,

I hope you understand how this works now. Basically it is a public auction open to everyone. Anyone can buy anyone in the auction. Then each player can choose to buy half of themselves back for an opportunity at the prize pool. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

If everyone could please post a yes or no on this idea. 

My opinion is leave it as is for the year (The Same $20 buy in) and then next year try out the Calcutta.  I like and dislike the idea.  My positives are, lower grade (Ya I beat won the Super Bowl) players would be enticed to play. 

My negatives are, It's Tecmo Super Bowl, and it's sucks to be Tecmoed, Fumbled Punt Return, 3+ fumbles in a game and so on.  Also it would suck to be in the top 4 and half Spend $50+ to buy yourself back to make any money.   Like said before, if ya wanted to have a free tournament then you could have it with your friends at your own house.  People are traveling 50+ 100+ miles to play and play good competition and broaden there talents a little. (Especially before Madison). 

We need to remember this is a game.  It's suppose to be fun.  Why add betting in to a game that's suppose to be fun and not worrying about bringing $50+ to buy yourself back in a Calcutta. I'd rather spend the extra $30  (20 regular buy in) on beer.

This is all my opinion and everyone is entitled to there own.  

Please let me know whether you think its a positive or negative thing for the Tournament.

Ok after A LOT of emails and private messages.   This is what we came up with.  

In General the Tournament will stay the same in most ways.  There is still a $20 buy in with 100% Payback.   You will play a round robin to seed your self in the Tournament.

After the bracket is drawn up.   The first round losers instead of being done will go to (Bottom Bracket about 8 players).  These games will be played away from the Main Tournament on a separate TV.  They will play for 5-10% of the Prize Pool.  Last year that would have been around $30 total for Bottom Bracket.  My hope is that the winner of the Bottom Bracket has a chance to win there money back or close to and still have fun and not feel like they were just there to donate money.    

The Main bracket will be played out as normal.  Single Elimination till the Elite 8.  Then it becomes a Double Elimination.    Again they are playing for the 90-95% of the $20 entry.     At the Elite 8 there will be a Calcutta, you may wish to participate or not.  That is totally up to you.  You don't have to bid on yourself nor do you have to buy yourself back.   This is completely separate from the main purse.

Any questions feel free to contact me at [email protected] or Mike Nichols at  [email protected]

We had a lot of positive comments about the Calcutta and some negative comments.  So to try to become our own Tournament being a little different  than others the Calcutta will be added but not part of the Main Purse like originally proposed.  So if you choose not to be part of it you don't have to and still play for the main purse.

So to sum things up with what he has written above:

The tournament is the SAME as it has been billed. Entry fee is $20. Group play will be played to determine tournament seeding. The tournament will be single elimination down to the round of 8 persons left. At that point, it becomes a double elimination tournament. Once down to 8, we will conduct the Calcutta (should take 15-20 minutes tops). Like Dotz said, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PARTICIPATE. The last thing we were after was to scare people away from the tournament and we hope we didn't do that.

As noted on the front page, we will start with registration at 11 and begin the tournament promptly at 1 p.m. We will have more systems this year which should allow group play to move along much faster and speed up the entire tournament. If you are running late that day or have questions for us, please call the bar phone at 712-755-5050. We will obviously be there by 11.

Your $20 entry gets you at least 4 games and you'll have at least 2 chances to make some money. We pay back 100% and the tournament winner goes on the permanent Tecmo Tournament Champion's trophy that stays at the bar year round. Dotz and I will provide some sort of grub for us to munch on during the day. We are donating our equipment, time & money here because we love the game of Super Tecmo Bowl and want to celebrate this game with others that have the same passion for the game. All we ask is that everyone shows good sportsmanship (please keep heckling & smack talking in good taste) and thanks 'Don' the bar owner for allowing us to have the tournament at his bar.

Thank you to everyone planning to participate. We hope the 4th annual tournament is the best yet.

So to sum things up with what he has written above:

The tournament is the SAME as it has been billed. Entry fee is $20. Group play will be played to determine tournament seeding. The tournament will be single elimination down to the round of 8 persons left. At that point, it becomes a double elimination tournament. Once down to 8, we will conduct the Calcutta (should take 15-20 minutes tops). Like Dotz said, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PARTICIPATE. The last thing we were after was to scare people away from the tournament and we hope we didn't do that.

As noted on the front page, we will start with registration at 11 and begin the tournament promptly at 1 p.m. We will have more systems this year which should allow group play to move along much faster and speed up the entire tournament. If you are running late that day or have questions for us, please call the bar phone at 712-755-5050. We will obviously be there by 11.

Your $20 entry gets you at least 4 games and you'll have at least 2 chances to make some money. We pay back 100% and the tournament winner goes on the permanent Tecmo Tournament Champion's trophy that stays at the bar year round. Dotz and I will provide some sort of grub for us to munch on during the day. We are donating our equipment, time & money here because we love the game of Super Tecmo Bowl and want to celebrate this game with others that have the same passion for the game. All we ask is that everyone shows good sportsmanship (please keep heckling & smack talking in good taste) and thanks 'Don' the bar owner for allowing us to have the tournament at his bar.

Thank you to everyone planning to participate. We hope the 4th annual tournament is the best yet.

I really enjoy the creativity and tourney operators making it different.  I think this will be really cool.  Since I missed Waterloo and Lincoln, and most likely will miss Madison, I will REALLY try to make this.

I really enjoy the creativity and tourney operators making it different.  I think this will be really cool.  Since I missed Waterloo and Lincoln, and most likely will miss Madison, I will REALLY try to make this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBHWaPgDhx-cn5lC2xAfS

Edited by moulds33

Dotdon,

Please bring any/all if you can. It is always nice to have a plan 'B' in case of equipment failure or Murphy's law. Thanks!

Knobbe,

That is awesome! It will be our pleasure to welcome the Godfather to our tourney. We have been having a group practice once a week for the last month or so. For some reason the 'practice' is usually delayed or forgotten about all together due to the cardboard boxes containing aluminum cylinders that keep showing up.  

We really don't have a "list" per say of registrants as we haven't put a website together or anything. We have a pretty good idea of talent level of the local guys and of the guys we've seen play at other tourneys so I think the grouping shouldn't be a problem figuring out in a short period of time. With the weather and other factors and unless we charge the entry fee online to 'guarantee' the entry, it's all shot out the window the day of the tourney anyway. I'd guess we should be in the 20-25 range of registrants. I hope this answers your question.

As far as everyone bringing systems, the more we have available, the better. We SHOULD have everything covered but again, it's always nice to have a plan 'B' or 'C' in the case of Murphy's Law. We appreciate all the offers of NES systems, games, etc. The help offering is what it's all about. Thank you!

The excitement is continuing to build here for our 4th Annual tournament. I was told we may have an appearance by the sports writer for our local paper to do an article on the tournament. That sort of thing is unheard of in Harlan as it is usually 100% local sticks & balls. Hopefully we don't scare him too bad and give him some positive things to write about if he shows.

If anyone happens to come the night before (1 week from today), we will be setting up a couple of systems at the bar for an open practice and to try and rope some more peeps into playing.   

One other thing to keep in mind for guys that haven't played in our tournaments in the past, when we have a system/TV open up, we go to the next game on the bracket and that's where they will play. This keeps things moving along so we can get the tournament finished up.

Will Palik be able to repeat and add his name to the trophy a second time? Or will Moulds avenge his back to back losses in the title match from a year ago and put his name on the hardware? Will we have a local show up that hasn't played live tournaments and dominate? Will Dotz be able to finally tally his name as a tourney champ or will he drown in his adult beverages again after the first round? Will the Calcutta prize pool bring in more money than the entry fee prize pool? See all of these questions answered February 8th at the Lounge in Harlan, IA. We hope to see you all there.

We made a walk through last night of the Lounge to make a game plan of which TV's we wanted to utilize. Our plan is to have 8 systems going to help really speed up the group play. The plan is to play the final 4 on the projector screen again which is around 5' x 5'. Don has updated most TV's to flat screens and at least 6 of the systems will be on 32" or larger screens.

We ask that you all show up at least 15 minutes before 1 p.m. so that we can get the groupings matched up as best as we can and start promptly at 1 p.m. If you're running late, just let us know by calling the bar phone 712-755-5050 and asking for Dotz or Mike.

We've heard from a few new faces that plan to make the trip to the tourney so that should make our Calcutta and whole tourney experience the best yet. So far we've heard from players coming from 4 states. See you all Saturday!