Madison, WI - 03/08/14 - Tecmo X: The Gannonball Run

sonofpatbeach

Just got to the Holiday Inn Express - across the street from Badger Bowl, next door to Sheraton

hit me up Louis

It was rad seeing everyone again and meeting even more people.

Gats, you're the man. I hope you made a bunch of friends.

Thanks Kweh, Kevin C and Ryan11p for stepping up the stream commentating game. You guys killed it.

Also, shout-out to the Madison crew for putting on another stellar event. Having the finals in the main room was pretty epic. The crowd during the Matty V vs Chet loser's final may never be topped. 

It was rad seeing everyone again and meeting even more people.

Gats, you're the man. I hope you made a bunch of friends.

Thanks Kweh, Kevin C and Ryan11p for stepping up the stream commentating game. You guys killed it.

Also, shout-out to the Madison crew for putting on another stellar event. Having the finals in the main room was pretty epic. The crowd during the Matty V vs Chet loser's final may never be topped. 

MY best hope is that next year will be as big or better. I don't care if I go 2 L's and out, I'm making next year.

It was cool to hear Gats on the mic for a minute. I hope it was a great experience for him, and that he realizes the support he has in the community.

Speaking of the mic gotta agree with Dave here - Kweh, Kevin and Ryan killed it on the mic. The play by play was decent, but their work analysis, posing interesting questions to one another, etc was really great stuff. Great entertainment.

Lastly - a special shoutout to YOU Dave, for getting that live stream out to those of us who couldn't make it. Thanks for all the work that went into that. I can't wait to introduce myself next year and buy you a beer (or two).

Gats here. Just want to say ty u to everyone who made it possible for me to be there and everyone I met are the nicest people ever. Since I tecmo is no longer a fantasy world and now is a real thing the gats persona will be no more cause it would be weird and fake if I went back online and talked trash to guys I am now real life friends with. I love all of yous..not in a gay way of course lol. Ok honestly I think I could of won this tourney I was running hot and playing out my mind. The thriller I had did not work and I lost to a nobody who is avg at best. Lost 10-7 i went for a 4th and 14 from my own 35 with 1:30 left but I ran it back with a working thriller got up 21-0 on him early 2nd and just unplugged thriller and walked off. Bomb sat with same thriller and switched it out after 1 play so no im not making excuses. Live and learn

Thoughts/observations following Tecmo X:

(1) Tecmo is more competitive than it’s ever been. In many groups, there was a very thin line between those that finished 2nd (and qualified for single-elim) and those that finished 3rd (and were eliminated). Countless group play and single-elim games were decided by a single play. With all the film now available, it’s easier than ever for guys to go from “novice” to “serious challenger” in a short period of time.  Unlike just a few years ago, there are a lot of guys that can beat you in any given game now.

(2) Biggest surprises were Mort losing in the Round of 64 and Bgboud, Kamp, and Moulds failing to advance from group play. Both Mort and Bgboud reached the Final 8 last year. This speaks a lot to that mentioned in paragraph (1).

(3) In a room largely filled with parity, Regulator was dominant all day. After consecutive defeats in the Championship Game, Reg reached the mountain’s summit yesterday. He was a man on a mission. Congrats again Kyle. No one deserved it more.

(4) Meeting Bruddog was awesome. He totally embraced the tourney and even agreed to a brief interview with the local news. Here’s the local news clip.

(5)  Huge thank you to Dave Murray and those on the stream. I checked out the stream at some point mid-day and was stunned at how amazing it was. One of our buddies was following it on his phone in the Detroit airport before his return flight to Madison boarded. 

(6) I have pictures of the single-elim and Final 8 brackets that I can post, but every time I upload the attachment and preview the post, the image is upside down. Anyone know what the problem is? In any event, we’re hoping to get the results on the site within the next couple days.

-Long Live Tecmo