Madison, WI - 03/08/14 - Tecmo X: The Gannonball Run

sonofpatbeach

Quick recap:

I had a great time once again. Made the final 64 which is all I really cared about and lost to a pretty good player who I never heard of.  I chose a risky matchup (Bears vs Eagles) hoping he'd grab the Eagles. I was wrong and I paid the price for it.

VikingMoe, I did indeed give you a head nod and at times I actually tried to have a conversation with you guys, I'm just not sure you heard me.  EIther way I have no beef with you guys, and am hoping you can be part of team MN for the Ryder Cup in November, as we have already recruited a seasoned vet whom will be named later and we need the talent.

Orenga's bunch was fucking LOUD.  Annoyingly loud, especially since I was seated next to them with a killer hangover during my playoff game, head just a pounding.  Did it help the atmosphere? Maybe, but I could have done without it.  "Give him the D Tony" is a phrase I heard more than once.

Was awesome meeting guys like Bruddog and Gats, and of course seeing all the usuals again.  Glad to see a nice MN turnout with guys like 8bit and Segathon making the trip.

I'd like to thank Dave for the killer live stream, maybe we can have multiple feeds in the future?  I was able to watch a few games in the finals from my phone when we got a bite to eat, and they were top notch.

Lastly, I have a conspiracy theory .... I'm thinking Grimlock, you know the guy who looked like Aaron Hernandez's younger brother, was really KidPro?  A smart ass hispanic guy who lives near the coast who likes wrestling and plays Tecmo?  Had a eerily similar playing style as well, even though he said he hadn't played in 15 years.  Had to have been him, either way he was a blast hanging around with.

Thanks again Madison crew and staff, another great year.  Congrats to Regulator and Chet for another great tourney.

Bear with me while I tie together a few different topics into one post:

1) I'll start with the apologies. As we've gotten bigger over the years, It's gotten more difficult for us to watch actual games, and catch up with those of you who have been coming for years. Which sucks. It is without a doubt the biggest downside to the growth that we've experienced. So apologies to those who we didn't get a chance to speak with, those whose conversations with us were rudely interrupted, or first-timers like Kweh who I spoke to several times without introducing myself. We've only got 11 hours before a band literally kicks us off the stage, and we have to organize 478 games, so we also apologize to those who we were curt with on the main stage during the tourney. Many of you heard the phrase "please back up so Bailey and Larry can work," for instance. We didn't mean to be rude; we just had to keep things moving.

I also owe an apology to Buttdouglas, who was nice enough to sign and donate 4 copies of his book to the Final 4 players. I forgot to hand those books out at the tourney, but Skunker and Chet already have their copies, and we'll get copies to Regulator and Matty V the next time we see them.

And to the Tecmo Ninja: we should have given consideration to the fact that you wore that costume ALL DAY, not to mention the throwing stars! Did anyone ever figure out who the Tecmo bunny actually was?

2) A few people have reached out to us on Twitter regarding extra t-shirts. If you're interested in purchasing one for $10, please send an email to [email protected]. We can ship to you. We've also got a few left over from Tecmo IX: Marino Royale.

3) I was bummed to see Derek's comment about having to play against a fellow carpooler in group play. We work really hard to avoid doing this to friends and brothers, and weren't aware of the situation. In the future, please just let us know if you spot something like this before the tournament, and we'll do our best to accommodate you, as we did for the Burkhardt brothers this year. Sorry Derek.

4) It was nice to see the Wisconsin players represent their state well, once again. 7 of the Sweet 16 players were from the dairy state (5 from Madison), as well as 4 of the Elite 8 and 2 of the Final 4. In particular, it was great to see the Skunker return to the Final 4 after a 6-year hiatus (lost to Sobhi in Tecmo IV semis). While some Wisconsin stalwarts like Jay H and the buzzsaw were bounced in group play, others like Jimmy B and the skunker returned to prominence. Last year, it was the boys from Kiel (Lucas S and Jeff B.) who went from relative obscurity to the Elite 8, and this year it was Josh A (coconuts) from Oshkosh who made the deep run after a disappointing Tecmo IX showing. Congrats to Josh for his deep run.

5) In regards to Hoigaard's comments about a "bitter edge this year throughout the tourney and excuses for losses being thrown about," I think this speaks directly to the increased parity in this year's tournament, and the fact that guys not accustomed to losing at all found themselves losing in group play, and oftentimes to people attending their first tournament. No one was safe on Saturday. Group play was an absolute grind, as you will see below. There was no shame in losing any games (group play or single elim) at TecmoX.

6) We've gotten a lot of questions about #TecmoXI. All we can say at this point is that we won't know whether we'll be putting that on until the fall.

7) Here's some more detail about the Group Play carnage this year. As I mentioned a few times on Saturday (twice to buzzsaw), in a lot of cases, the 1/2 seeds were interchangeable:

#1 seeds that advanced to 64-man bracket: 29

#2 seeds that did so: 16

#3 seeds that did so: 11

#4 seeds that did so: 0

#5 seeds that did so: 3

#6 seeds that did so: 2

#7 seeds that did so: 3

#8 seeds that did so: 0

#1s and #2s that failed to advance

- Group 1 - #2 Justin Lu

- Group 2 - #2 Brian Ra (Chaos)

- Group 4 - #2 Steven Me

- Group 5 - #2 Bailey (QB_Browns)

- Group 7 - #2 Timothy Ol

- Group 10 - #2 Kevin Cab

- Group 11 - #2 Flo

- Group 13 - #2 James Ku (0-2)

- Group 15 - #1 Kamphuna

- Group 16 - #1 Travis Ga (VikingMoe’s brother)

- Group 17 - #2 Brian Ne

- Group 18 - #2 Jon St

- Group 20 - #2 Eric Di

- Group 21 - #2 Nick Th

- Group 26 - #2 Travis Re (Moulds)

- Group 27 - #1 BgBoud

- Group 28 - #2 Ryan Kr

- Group 29 - #2 Jay Ha

- Group 32 - #2 Kevin Mi (buzzsaw)

8 ) Since we don't have the final results up on the site yet, here is the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 for those interested:

Sweet 16:

Burt Reynolds Region:

Kyle H (Regulator) over Erik M (arncoem)

Eric O (TecmO'Dell) over Erik J (rikster)

Farrah Fawcett Region:

Jimmy B (Air Bontempo) over Josh H (sonofpatbeach)

Chris V (VogtCD11) over Louis B (red98sethuthut)

Dom Deluise Region:

Chet H (holzy11) over Mattrick Swayze (diazzhole)

Matt V (bigmv54) over Matt O (toolie)

Dean Martin Region:

James T (skunkerofbestinworld) over Jimmy P (jimsocks)

Josh A (coconuts) over Tony O (garbageTSBplayer)

Elite 8:

See attached pic.

post-7588-0-73903600-1394562004_thumb.jp

9) Thanks to all who came and made TecmoX a truly great event. And especially to those who attended the post-TecmoX party at the Plaza, and contributed to the shenanigans there. It was great meeting and getting to know guys like Manyo and Bruddog. For anyone wondering how the pocket Plaza burger turned out for me, the answer is that it was incredible.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Dave im convinced that the axis powers of tecmo I.E. clark, mrtsb, tsbgod, had a villian meeting and decided to boycott trolling madison this year, I was very suprised and waited to see them but it didn't happen.

This is the only reasonable explanation and it worked because we are talking about them!

Excellent work once again gentlemen. I took some of my Retro4Ever crew down for their first experience of Tecmo Madison, and all of them walked away impressed by the setup, competition, and the great people we met. It's definitely what we strive for when we put on Tundra Bowl in Green Bay every January. Read up on a recap and our own Tecmo X journey here:

http://retro4ever.com/recap-tecmo-x/

1926760_733865003324744_1801893269_n.jpg

Edited by Retro4Ever.com

Kyle went 10-0 on the day. He had 5 shutouts.

He averaged 27.8 points per game. He averaged allowing 4.4 points per game.

Chet and Tanvir each put up 14 against Kyle. Matt Toner (TecmoRox) put up 10. O'Dell and Bontempo each put up 3. 

Edited by averagetsbplayer

OMG so priceless. The tecmobunny was freaking awesome. Ninja, you're getup was freaking awesome. And you did sport it all day, that should get you some reward. And did Knobbe really "realize" that you dressed as the tecmo ninja were actually thetecmoninja? LOL at that.

Completely.  I saw the Ninja costume and I just thought it was specifically for the costume contest.  

When we were going to do the HSTL picture it dawned on me...Tecmo Ninja.

VikingMoe, I did indeed give you a head nod and at times I actually tried to have a conversation with you guys, I'm just not sure you heard me. EIther way I have no beef with you guys, and am hoping you can be part of team MN for the Ryder Cup in November, as we have already recruited a seasoned vet whom will be named later and we need the talent.

Sorry, Eddy. I had no idea that you were trying to talk to me. Lots of noise and distractions I guess. Ryder cup sounds like a lot of fun.

Josh I didn't play anyone in my pool that we rode up with. I was just saying how tough it is to divide the pools taking things like that into consideration. You guys do great work at that.

Phew, that makes me feel better!

A HUGE thank you to those involved in putting this show on year in, and year out!  I walk away more impressed every single year.  My very lengthy recap can be found below.

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/59420-the-brodell-chrysler-town-country-madison-tecmo-x-wrap-up-long/

You really missed out on a chance to get on the ground floor of the first great investment opportunity of the 21st century, O'Dell (custom Gannon coins). You'll be kicking yourself in 20 years. Fantastic write-up, btw.

Phew, that makes me feel better!

You really missed out on a chance to get on the ground floor of the first great investment opportunity of the 21st century, O'Dell (custom Gannon coins). You'll be kicking yourself in 20 years. Fantastic write-up, btw.

Word is Rich Gannon and SOPatBeach are responsible for the latest BitCoin heist in an effort to drive up the price of the new currency--GannonCoin 

Once again, for the third year in a row, the highlight of my 2014 so far was the Gathering of the Tecmalos. Not going to talk about my games because...well, #1 I played Mort in my first game and #2 Dave was giving me googly eyes from the stage and cramping my style. But really, can't say I've ever had a better time losing a Tecmo game than I did against Mort. Class act, and still the one true Tecmo icon I still get sweaty palms around.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who bought one of my "literary" experiments. Hopefully most of you got my personalized letter and chicken-scratched autograph that I probably should have practiced before arrival. I really scrambled to get it done for you guys because I love you all so much and you deserve it; so as it states in there, excuse my typos and glaring technical errors. I've wanted to be a writer since reading ghost stories under the sheets as a kid. If you want to know how much I love Tecmo...then just consider that I somehow whipped up a story about it for my first ever published work.

JOSH...if you ever apologize to me again for allowing my book to be a prize to the Tecmo Elite, I will personally sign up for another Tecmo tournament and devalue it with my poor performance like I always do. But of course I'll do that anyway for Tecmo XI.

Severely disappointed I couldn't join the party at the Plaza (I still owe Leonardite a shot from IX...trust me Leonard, I don't forget!). Really need to get into the ND fold somehow...I went to UND, does that count?? Hopefully next year the Tecmo gods will push back Daylight savings an extra day so our ghetto bus doesn't leave so goddamn early in the morning. 

Keep in touch! Can't wait for the Mount Olympus that is the Madison Tecmo Tournament to open up again and let peasants like me inside to rub shoulders for a day.

Thanks for all of the updates and the great recap posts on Madison X. I couldn't be there, but next year is a must! It must be an amazing experience.

To the Madison Crew:  This is your personal invite to our tourney in October of 2014. Come on over and enjoy some "Minnesota Nice"

MINNESOTA TECMO SUPER BOWL VII Coming in October 2014.   "Bill and Eric's excellent adventure" 

And to the Tecmo Ninja: we should have given consideration to the fact that you wore that costume ALL DAY, not to mention the throwing stars! Did anyone ever figure out who the Tecmo bunny actually was?

This one guy kept coming up to me with his buddies and asking me if the Tecmo Bunny ever shows up at these events.  Like two times at least.  Maybe three.  My mind is hazy on some key details.  Forgot there names.  But I know he asked me again about 20 mins before the tecmo bunny appeared.  So I suspect one of these guys was the tecmo bunny or know who the tecmo bunny was.

I've put this off for a couple days, because to truly do justice to the annual Madison excursion requires a full-length novel, and anything short of that risks shortchanging people or leaving anyone out.  That said, there's nothing I can say here that can't be said any other year.  It's sort of ridiculous how many of you I consider to be my friends, and within 5 seconds of entering Badger Bowl, it's like I just saw you all last weekend.  We brought a couple tagalongs last year who thought they would do some good-natured heckling, and they quickly realized that was impossible because everyone was too nice.  Even in jest, you simply can't mess with the Tecmo people.  Just a few bullet point names, because we all like to see our names in print:

Chet & Josh - Amazing time as always.  I hope you both have twenty more of these in you, but no matter what, your hard work does not go unappreciated.  It's also ridiculous how you remember everyone in the field and have a little inside story with almost everyone.

Dotdon - You're pretty much like an adopted NoDaker ever since you were supposed to be on our Ryder Cup team.  Let's make that Iowa State trip happen.

Knobbe - The Tecmo Godfather never disappoints.  Always fun talking Nebrasketball and telling lies.  You're welcome for Tim Miles.

Durch, Jamie, QB Browns, etc. - The "rest" of the Tecmo staff are some of my favorites.  You guys do all the thankless little jobs, while simulataneously drinking to excess.  That's like my credo, so good work.

Butt Douglas - I'm sorry I didn't buy your book.  I wanted to.  Buy me a Plaza shot, I'll buy your tome.  Always a pleasure to see you, just don't ever mention that school up north again.

Bruddog - Pleasure to meet an online legend and swill some shots together.  Glad you made the trip.  Make it a habit.

Moulds and Dave Murray - Kickass time at the Plaza.  Drank Goldschlager til we were comfortably numb and talked Tecmo and cheese curds like men.  Thanks for cupping my ass this year instead of slapping, it Dave.  I feel like our relationship has reached a new level.

Vinny and Grogan - I know your real names, but you two are still the QB club to me.  I always appreciate your banter, sneaky good Tecmo skills, and filthy picture messages.

Mort and Louis - Sorry for calling you out with my towel, Mort.  Actually I'm not.  You're the legend for a reason, and the more your name is out there, the better it is for Tecmo.  Good to see you two fellas.  Your year next year.

Chris and Matt Vogt - We go way back to the Madison gay bar days of 2012 (exactly how it sounds).  You may know them from NFL Films, I knew them from the night before under a neon rainbow.  Good runs by both of you and glad to see you.  Get your asses to the Ryder Cup.

Orenga - You may eat shit, but you take it in stride.  ND is sorry for the wrist bands. And the hashtag.  Or not.

Wes - Thanks for the tequila shot at 11 a.m.  Generally I would say I could've done without that, but you're too good of a guy not to take it.

O'Dell - We had the weirdest, most awkward hand shake/five/hug thing I've ever been a part of.  And that's saying something considering my history with half the people in this tournament.  Nonetheless, or perhaps as a result, it was a pleasure to have a beer with you again.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many, but that's just off the top of my head.  Thanks to the good guys in Group 2 for a good time.   Frolf and I will be putting some info up about the Ryder Cup soon.  Our turn to throw the party, and I promise we won't disappoint. 

Edited by Leonardite

Pic below of the most ridiculous matchup that's ever been offered to me, and it may have been the worst one offered in all of Madison X. In my second round match of Group 8 play, I was fortunate enough to lose the toss. He thought about it while expressing his distaste for the Minnesota Vikings garb I was sporting (he was a Packer fan). Finally he says....GB vs HOU. I couldn't believe my ears. Not thinking, I ask him, "Green Bay and who?" Fortunately this was not enough to change his mind, and he reaffirmed that he said Houston.

It took all my self control to calmly say, "Okay, I'll take Houston" and go about my business. It wasn't until after I intercepted him for the 3rd time and I was up 21-0 that I told him that this was not an even matchup.

While he did connect with Sharpe twice, he ended the game with five INTs (all with Richard "Dick Dick" Johnson), 4 of which were JJ INTs on the way to a 42-0 drubbing.

download?mid=2_0_0_1_78030_AE9UimIAAArCU

He and his crew were super nice people - make no mistake. Afterwards I felt bad. Perhaps I should have said that it wasn't a fair matchup and that he should pick something else. I just didn't know anything about him. He had just shut out TB with CLE in the previous matchup, so I thought he could be a real threat. Did I do the wrong thing by saying nothing and taking the elite team?

Absolutely not. Stick it to em'. I'm as kind-hearted and sportsman as they come in game. But in Madison, all bets are off man. #orengaposse

Point diff is tough to come by. I would have taken Houston and laughed about it. The x-factor is available to anyone serious about Tecmo.

Edited by diazzhole

Pic below of the most ridiculous matchup that's ever been offered to me, and it may have been the worst one offered in all of Madison X. In my second round match of Group 8 play, I was fortunate enough to lose the toss. He thought about it while expressing his distaste for the Minnesota Vikings garb I was sporting (he was a Packer fan). Finally he says....GB vs HOU. I couldn't believe my ears. Not thinking, I ask him, "Green Bay and who?" Fortunately this was not enough to change his mind, and he reaffirmed that he said Houston.

It took all my self control to calmly say, "Okay, I'll take Houston" and go about my business. It wasn't until after I intercepted him for the 3rd time and I was up 21-0 that I told him that this was not an even matchup.

While he did connect with Sharpe twice, he ended the game with five INTs (all with Richard "Dick Dick" Johnson), 4 of which were JJ INTs on the way to a 42-0 drubbing.

download?mid=2_0_0_1_78030_AE9UimIAAArCU

He and his crew were super nice people - make no mistake. Afterwards I felt bad. Perhaps I should have said that it wasn't a fair matchup and that he should pick something else. I just didn't know anything about him. He had just shut out TB with CLE in the previous matchup, so I thought he could be a real threat. Did I do the wrong thing by saying nothing and taking the elite team?

158349658_l.jpg

No mercy...