Who is your top Running-back in the Original Tecmo Bowl

TheFes75

All of us have seen the attributes, but how do you rate the Running-backs in the original Tecmo Bowl based on attributes, playbook and team reliance?

Here is how I see it:

1. Herschel Walker- he is the Dallas offense period, although A 4-3 defense can keep him in check, especially Chicago.

2. Roger Craig- what he brings to the passing game is unmatched in the game for running backs. Because of the Pass 1 calls to neutralize Rice, Craig is always available via run or pass.

3. Walter Payton - I like his pattern better than Dickerson's because he doesn't get the depth which makes it easier to identify when he's open and Trudeau's arm scares me when a guy is just off the screen.

4. Eric Dickerson- Dickerson's presence more so than his running is what makes him valuable. The threat of him running really opens up the pass game, but a team like Cleveland could pick run 1 and be Dixon and not be blocked, or pick run 2 and be Minnifield and not be blocked. Either way they could really limit Dickerson and still have some control in the passing game.

5a. Tony Dorsett- He can sneak up on you because of the Denver Passing game.

5b. Curt Warner- He and Dorsett are interchangeable, but Seattle's playbook is the lesser between Denver and Seattle.

7. Kevin Mack- There is only one Kevin Mack, but unless you are playing Dallas, he is slow and his HP is negated.

8. Bo Jackson- one run play and no passes. Attributes is all that keeps him where he is.

9. Joe Morris- keeps the defense honest, also has trouble vs 4-3 due to blocking scheme.

10. Marcus Allen- one run which an elite top side defender snuffs out. Two passes but not the best design.

11. Darrin Nelson- one run with no threat on WR reverse, one pass play.

12. Rodney Hampton- worst attributes of all running backs does have one run and one pass.

13. Timmy Smith-one run with no threat on the WR Reverse no pass play.

What do you think?

Edited by TheFes75

My top 2 would either be Dickerson and Payton.  *Edit*  Later in this thread I address Bo Jackson.

Here's the comparison....

-Both are similar when faced up with defenses in non-run calls:  Push

-Colts playbook allows for top MLB to not be blocked at times, and Bears allows for bottom MLB.  Considering Young and Mecklenberg occupy those top MLB positions:  Edge Payton 

-Colts playbook overall is better than Chicago:  Edge Dickerson

-Dickerson goes out further in pass play wheel route, and can be used as a great decoy in order to throw deep.  Payton is stationary at the bottom.  Both can rack up big yardage though.  Dickerson is more diverse as you can also hit him quickly before he gets into his wheel for the fast dump off.  Payton is far less dangerous to throw to as he's not in the middle of the field, with possible defender just lurking off screen.  To me the opponent is far more likely to show their hand by trying to cheat up on dickerson:  Very Slight Edge Dickerson

I gotta go with Dickerson by a hair here as the better back with all things pretty equal.

Payton is 2nd for me.  

Craig is a decent runner, but he's such a force in the passing game

Dorsett I feel is probably next.  He's got just enough goods that defenses have to respect him running  In return, the Passing playbook is just good enough that they can't sit on run calls. 

Need to put some thought into the rest.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

I always thought Payton and Dickerson felt like the best. 

I used to have a lot of fun with Mack, too.

Mack is great against the computer, but not so much against human opponents.  Although the Brown's pass playbook is hard to defend, so it sets up the situation where you call lots of pass to stop Kosar and take your chances against Mack....and sometimes that allows for him to have some big games running the ball.

ERIC DICKERSON hands down.........not only is he the best back, he also has 3 different options on how you can get him the ball...plus the route he runs is confusing to opponents, because he never seems to run his route the same way, so unless you REALLY know the Colts, he's a nightmare to defend........................then of course there's his mysterious aura, swag, and the 'IT' factor that just adds to the legends' resume'.  Nufsaid.

ERIC DICKERSON hands down.........not only is he the best back, he also has 3 different options on how you can get him the ball...plus the route he runs is confusing to opponents, because he never seems to run his route the same way, so unless you REALLY know the Colts, he's a nightmare to defend........................then of course there's his mysterious aura, swag, and the 'IT' factor that just adds to the legends' resume'.  Nufsaid.

Lol...I should have penciled that response in right after I posted this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Now that we have a good sample size of 10-11 games with the fixed-playbook/Raiders offense....and with that fix, we can't use a gimmick defense anymore to slow down Bo Jackson, I guess he should be addressed.  Bo has become "like" the Bo of old, but I'm still crafty enough to limit his damage to 1 or 2 big runs a game.  What's surprised me now is that Marcus Allen is back to busting heads.  Seems in each game Allen breaks off the biggest run of the game.  In Part because we occupy the lower half of the field more often to try and corral Bo, but Jackson gets down there and blocks for Marcus....and he destroys a couple defenders in doing so.  Sometimes my controlled defender gets tangled up with him, and it takes a moment to shed him.

We utilize a decent share of "Linebacker protect" in which we call Marcus Allen's run play and select the bottom middle LB(in the 3-4).  Allen is stuffed if he runs, and if Bo gets the ball and we can correctly corral Bo to the top half in a pursuit angle, he can't juke you, but he still gets his standard 3-4 yards.....that's a win for the defense.

Revisiting a thought I had when the thread was originally made, I've had a lot of success with Dickerson against the linebacker protect guys like Young and Mecklenberg.  Not huge runs, but enough 4-6 yarders.  I think its perhaps because Dickerson lines up in the middle of the field so the defense doesn't have an immediate angle to work, where as Bo is at the top in the backfield and Marcus is at the bottom.  In that formation you already know how to attack Bo, and which way is best to herd him. With Dickerson you have to show your hand and hope he doesn't juke the hell out of you.    

I think its perhaps because Dickerson lines up in the middle of the field so the defense doesn't have an immediate angle to work, where as Bo is at the top in the backfield and Marcus is at the bottom.

Actually Bo is on the bottom and Marcus is on the top in the backfield. That way they can lead block for each other on their respective runs, but I know what you mean. Also the pass patterns would indicate Marcus is on top. Good to see you back on the boards Brad!