Call of Duty - Ghosts An honest review....after 4 hours. (PS3)

moulds33

Yeah still playing.

Nice playing with ya!  Hit me up anytime.

Sounds like there will be still be a new CoD every November for the foreseeable future, but now there will be 3 developers instead of just 2.  Sledgehammer is going to be in the mix now also.  I believe Treyarch still will release the 2014 version.  Hopefully the extra year they have will make the games that much better.  Seems like we've been waiting for a CoD killer now for a few years and it hasn't happened yet.  It's coming though...

• 7 months later...

Well I finally hit full prestige today on Ghosts.  I've been playing CoD pretty regularly since MW2 and this is the first one I actually maxed out on.  Mainly because there was no reason not to prestige in this one.  Had my best win/loss and K/D of any of them. Not sure if I'm better of if the competition is just worse.  My overall K/D was 1.28, 1.55 on death match.  Dropzone makes it hard unless you don't try to win, but I always did.  Our longest win streak was 62, which was all dropzone too. 

Anyways, I thought I'd give my final thoughts (PS3 version).  I played pretty casually for most of the year, even taking off a month or two.  Played a lot of dropzone and even had C4 as my preferred weapon for quite a while since I ran a lot of riot shield.  I eventually did buy the maps and played the new ones almost exclusively for the last few months.

I had a few things right in my initial thoughts and a few things wrong looking back on it.

Good:

Hit detection was REALLY good. 

Guns were pretty balanced. I could run about anything and be competitive.  Some guns were better than others, but nothing to OP.

DLC maps were great.  I wish some of them would have been out at launch...might have been a game changer & more players woulda stuck around.

Lag was not normally a problem for me other than an occasional insta-death.  Not choppy or getting shot around corners though which was nice.

When they added a half-point for confirming/denying a kill in kill confirmed.  It was broken and they fixed it.  Made that game-type my fave.

Pistols and Riot Shield were fun and very usable.  You were at a disadvantage, but with practice you could win, dominate even. 

The shotguns were all pretty fun to use as well.  I had the most kills with the TAC-12 and I loved the revolver one as well.

Bad:

Most of the original maps were just too big and made for slow/campy/defensive/boring play.  Can't believe the guys who designed them had ever actually played the game before.  At least they fixed it with the DLC ones, but it was too little too late.

Assault killstreaks weren't fun to use.  The helo pilot was good, but the rest didn't do much for me.  I ran mainly IMS, Missile, Chopper...boring.

The dog was too hard to kill, it shouldn't take more sniper bullets to kill a dog than another player.  Also it killed you instantly if you got to close to it, with literally no chance to shoot it.  The mechanic of it was just broke or really shitty or both.  

Thermal M-27 users...fuck those guys.  

IEDs were too powerful and annoying.  They did patch them, but it was after 50% of the players had already quit playing. 

HATED that even though I bought the season pass, I didn't get all the other stuff (voices, skins, uniforms) with it.  All former CoDs I bought the map packs on I got ALL the DLC.  Not a big fan of getting nickeled and dimed for a damn Snoop dog voice. GTFO Activision!

The Oracle should have been an assault streak. Some clown who goes 12 - 30 can call one of those in during crunch time and turn the tide.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind support streaks but they shouldn't be that good...ever.

I hated that all my online friends (most anyway) were so turned off at the beginning of the game that they never came back. 

The lean kills thing was dumb and it shouldn't have been in the game.  Especially not to unlock gun camos.  

The field orders were a good idea, but executed poorly.  Instead of having us "get a kill while prone" or "get a melee kill" why not have us cap a flag or take a domination point or something worthwhile?  It's promoting camping, just like the horrible tracker sight and motion sensor.  Again, the guys who build the game clearly don't actually play the game much.

I've heard a lot of people say it's the worst CoD ever made, but I actually enjoyed it for the most part.  It's just a shame they didn't have better maps to start with, I think others might still be playing it.  I'll buy Advanced Warfare for PS3 and hope it's fun.  I'm not a big fan of futuristic stuff, but I'll give it try.  I'd love a Civil War or Wild West CoD myself, but I'm old school.  

What do you guys think?  Will you buy the next one?  Did you hate Ghosts?  

Edited by moulds33

I quit playing CoD Ghosts very early. This was not the worst CoD IMO ( I thought MW3 was), but I definitely hated it and stopped playing it earlier than any other CoD.

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked Black Ops the best. I don't get into Treyarch vs Infinity Ward, I just want a good game regardless of the company that makes it. I will say that I play Free for All exclusively, which makes it kind of weird that I like BO the best since you had to play all game types to get your perks. I think it gave me enough of a taste of the other games, but still allowed me play my favorite type of game. The spawns in both MW3 and Ghosts for free for all sucked. I don't know how many times I spawned took two steps and got shot in the back by a new spawning person or started the map with a person already behind me at game start. BO and BO2 had the best spawns for free for all since MW2.

The kill streaks in MW3 and Ghosts suck IMO. Although I will say that the attack dogs in BO was Overpowered and you could get it from a kill streak package, but normally you need 11 or so kills in a row. Really though I like BO the most because they Nerfed the hell out of quickscoping which made for better gameplay IMO. Any way I know this was a Ghosts post, but I had to vent that I wasted my money two of the last 3 years by buying MW3 and Ghosts.

Nice write up Moulds. I didn't hate Ghosts but it was my least played Call of Duty with MW3 coming in next.  It just didn't grab me and keep me going back for more like some of the other CODs.  

I probably stopped playing around December/January I think.   I agree with Fes about the kill streaks.  They weren't fun at all with some of them being straight up bad.  I'm primary a Domination player and although I liked some of the maps a lot of them were a mess.  I didn't like the multiple tier aspect of them and it seems like they just threw shit all over the place.  

I did not like squad points.  

The hit detection was great like you said.  I will be getting Advanced Warfare, But it's time for a new setting, World War 2 games saturated the market like 6-7 years ago but it's time to bring it back on Next Gen consoles.  I also love the Civil War idea, I've always been itching for a good Revolutionary War game too.  

I quit playing CoD Ghosts very early. This was not the worst CoD IMO ( I thought MW3 was), but I definitely hated it and stopped playing it earlier than any other CoD.

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked Black Ops the best. I don't get into Treyarch vs Infinity Ward, I just want a good game regardless of the company that makes it. I will say that I play Free for All exclusively, which makes it kind of weird that I like BO the best since you had to play all game types to get your perks. I think it gave me enough of a taste of the other games, but still allowed me play my favorite type of game. The spawns in both MW3 and Ghosts for free for all sucked. I don't know how many times I spawned took two steps and got shot in the back by a new spawning person or started the map with a person already behind me at game start. BO and BO2 had the best spawns for free for all since MW2.

The kill streaks in MW3 and Ghosts suck IMO. Although I will say that the attack dogs in BO was Overpowered and you could get it from a kill streak package, but normally you need 11 or so kills in a row. Really though I like BO the most because they Nerfed the hell out of quickscoping which made for better gameplay IMO. Any way I know this was a Ghosts post, but I had to vent that I wasted my money two of the last 3 years by buying MW3 and Ghosts.

To be honest, I think Black Ops 1 is my favorite too.  It was just a lot of fun to play.  And who doesn't like napalm?

Ground War and War are my favorite game types so it was a huge bummer they weren't in the PS3 version of Ghosts.  I thought i saw something where there was a War-style game type coming where you try to capture hold certain points until they are all taken or lost in AW.

I'd love another WWII game, WaW is still fun except for the damn hackers! 

Thanks for the responses guys, I had a feeling not many were still playing.  Let's hope AW grabs us by the balls and doesn't let go!

I find it interesting to see everyone different preferences for game types. I always found The team games too much for me to keep track of. I end up shooting at teammates on accident. I always found that Free for All was my best and favorite game type. Me against 7 others...If I see it I shoot it.

I prefer the medium and large size maps. I find that creates the largest variation of play types, as opposed to the small maps like nuke town, the cruise ship one in BO2. I find that those become SMG and shotgun levels almost exclusively. Nothing wrong with that but variation keeps the game fresh. Most people find the SMG with the best fire rate damage combo and make it a staple (AK-74u in BO..etc.) I actually like the assault rifles, especially in BO. (Commando, Ak-47, Famas, AUG, Galil, G-11). Anyway I'm probably going to pick up a PS4 eventually, but on PS3 I'm thefes.

I find it interesting to see everyone different preferences for game types. I always found The team games too much for me to keep track of. I end up shooting at teammates on accident. I always found that Free for All was my best and favorite game type. Me against 7 others...If I see it I shoot it.

I prefer the medium and large size maps. I find that creates the largest variation of play types, as opposed to the small maps like nuke town, the cruise ship one in BO2. I find that those become SMG and shotgun levels almost exclusively. Nothing wrong with that but variation keeps the game fresh. Most people find the SMG with the best fire rate damage combo and make it a staple (AK-74u in BO..etc.) I actually like the assault rifles, especially in BO. (Commando, Ak-47, Famas, AUG, Galil, G-11). Anyway I'm probably going to pick up a PS4 eventually, but on PS3 I'm thefes.

Yeah, it's kinda crazy how everybody gravitates towards different game-types.  I played 99% ground war for most of my CoD career, but I play a lot of kill confirmed now as well.  Domination in Ghost turned me off because it was only 6v6 and it seemed like I always got matched up with campers who didn't have thumbs or play the objective and matched up against MLG teams insulting me in Spanish.  I don't mind losing, but I don't like getting destroyed.

The assault rifles were beasts in BO, gimme an AK or Famas and i'm ready!

Speaking of Halo, no matter how good Advanced Warfare is, it's taking a backseat to the Master Chief collection.  

Comes with Original Halo 1/2/3/4 Multiplayer, 1080p, 60FPS.  and remastered Halo 2 multiplayer.  As well as all the campaigns. 

Halo CE multiplayer & Halo 2 were my favorites so I cannot wait. 

No, but I just ordered it used off Amazon for $6.82 shipped after reading this thread and watching this video that inspired me, lol

Got it today, still fun for this cheap especially--  BUT at least half the damn rooms online are ruined by hackers.  God mode, sky changes colors, etc. etc.

I'm probably in the minority, but I HATED The original Halo and haven't played one since. Really don't care too much for the futuristic shooters. Don't know how much I'll like Advanced Warfare. Hope it captures what was good about it's predecessors but keeps it fresh somehow. (Everyone's hope I would assume). Anyhow just want something good, especially after MW3 and Ghosts stunk it up two of the last three years. Still sucks Xbox gets one month head start on map packs, especially if you are a season pass owner.