Lincoln, NE - 01/11/14 - 4th Annual Lincoln, NE Tecmobowl.org Tournament

Knobbe

It was a good turnout, 38 total players.  Thanks everyone who made the drive/flight out, we appreciate all of you coming and we also really appreciate everyone who supplied NES/TVs.  There were a lot of weird games, OT games, safeties galore, and even some "doubles" street Tecmo played afterwards.  

Chet got back on track winning his 2nd Lincoln belt in a row after losing to Orenga earlier in the double elimination final 4. Orenga (2nd place) wins this tourney if it was still single elimination all the way through and the little shit knocked me out (again).  Josh takes home a respectable 3rd only losing (twice) to Chet.  Chris (Buck) takes 4th place after making the drive from Wichita. Shout out to Brian (Bad Moon Rison) for making it all the way from NY, good guy & good player.

The new venue seemed to work well as we had plenty of space, the food was good, the NFL game was crystal clear on their giant projection screen, and the waitresses wore tight clothing.  We also managed to raise a little money for charity, so overall I'd call it a success.

Edited by moulds33

Nice tournament with solid competition.  The venue couldn't have been better, in my opinion - great room(s), service, food, etc.  I had a good time.

It was nice to meet some of you guys that I've read on here on the forum - hawkeye98, BadMoonRison, and Moulds33, for instance.

Thanks to Knobbe and Moulds33 and everyone else who helped put this thing together.

Congratulations to Chet H, Tony (averageTSBplayer), and Josh H.  No doubt they were the best TSB players yesterday.

For possibly the first time ever in a tournament over 30 people I had ZERO no calls/no shows

Every single person was either

• There

• Let me know they would be a little late

• Let me know they couldn't make it

Simply awesome

Also, this is probably the first tournament I've ever put on where I'm looking forward to next year 2 days after.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who I met over the weekend.  Especially thanks to Matt for running a great tournament (and picking me up at the airport!) and Chris (buck) for splitting the hotel.  Both of you guys were a pleasure to spend time with.  The venue was spacious and the waitress very responsive to my imbibing needs.  But most importantly, it was great spending time with you guys and making me feel like I was welcome.  I especially had a great time playing warmup games with you all the night before.

Congrats to Chet, Tony, and Josh for the Madison trifecta.  I'll admit I was secretly rooting for Orenga to win it since I've probably spent more time e-mailing and messaging him over the years than anyone in the Tecmo universe. To my opponents John, Josh D, Nick, Matt B, and Travis, thanks for the competition and making me work for every score and every stop. I wish I had played as well in the tourney as I had performed in the warmup games, especially having traveled so far.  But that's also a testament to how good the competition was from top to bottom.  I had a moment when I was playing Travis in my final game when I realized that he was running plays on offense the way I would normally run them.  It kind of made me feel a bit like I was playing against myself.  It was only fitting our game went to OT.

In the last four tournaments I've played in, this was the third time I was knocked out in an OT game. It definitely stung, probably as much as Dave Krieg's fumble stung me in group play, though I am happy to know that it might have covered the spread for some of the guys betting behind me.

When I joined this site over ten years ago, never did I think I'd be out in Lincoln, Nebraska meeting many of you guys. Or that I'd be in Lincoln, Nebraska. It makes me respect what an important role Tecmo has quietly played in my life and appreciate what the Tecmo community has become.

The site this year was fantastic. Wide open space, right downtown next to nightlife and hotels, and most importantly, no seedy old men demanding that I play Merle Haggard on the jukebox like last year. Thanks to Knobbe and Travis for putting on another great tourney. After my 1-1 record vs Chet in Iowa, he returned to form by kicking my ass twice. I could smell Orenga's garbage in the Final 4, but didn't get a chance to play him.

Buck played me tough in the 3rd place game, and I needed a timely fumble recovery to knock out Kevin in the Sweet 16.

• 4 weeks later...