8-8 Season

Bad Moon Rison

I was searching through my parents old computer and I found an image from a season I played where I used every home team a couple of years back. I won every game and all teams went 8-8. Here is the image:

881dk.jpg

Probably a sight you won't see very much. It is nteresting to see which teams made it. I expected the Chiefs over the Broncos. I also expected the Giants to make it over the Rams or Eagles. But I suppose the Giants have a real tough division (not to mention an awful playbook). I kept original playbooks and starters I believe unless someone was injured, of course. I am also surprised Miami faired better than Buffalo. I consider Buffalo to be one of the best teams in the game.

That would take forever. I would have to constantly reset the game because it's hard to aim for a tie score. I don't think I had to reset the game once during the whole streak, though I remember somewhere along the line a Denver vs. New England game got really close.

I don't have the file with me, but when I get it, I'll post the season leaders. Some very unlikely candidates if I remember.

• 12 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/27/2018 at 6:50 PM, Bad Moon Rison said:

Super bump. I was looking through my computer files and came across this.  Can't believe I did this almost 13 years ago! I think I still have the save file.

8-8.jpg

That's badass. What was your motivation for making every team 8-8?

Ya know, I don't know what my motivation was.  I was 22-23 at the time and still living with my parents. Emulation was still pretty new to me at that time, so when I would get home from work, I would play Tecmo on the computer for a couple of hours to unwind.  Somewhere in there I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could play every game of the season. To guarantee that, I believe I picked every home team (it's even distributed P1 and P2 in SNES Tecmo). I then realized that would mean each team would be 8-8 and thought it would be cool to see what would happen. I figured it was by point differential, but wanted to see for myself.

One neat fact: All playoff teams had positive point differential.  All non-playoff teams had negative.  Dallas was #1 (no surprise) and the Eagles and Rams were both barely above with plus-5.

Perhaps if I went back and did it again, I would use similar playbooks for all teams.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:57 PM, Bad Moon Rison said:

Ya know, I don't know what my motivation was.  I was 22-23 at the time and still living with my parents. Emulation was still pretty new to me at that time, so when I would get home from work, I would play Tecmo on the computer for a couple of hours to unwind.  Somewhere in there I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could play every game of the season. To guarantee that, I believe I picked every home team (it's even distributed P1 and P2 in SNES Tecmo). I then realized that would mean each team would be 8-8 and thought it would be cool to see what would happen. I figured it was by point differential, but wanted to see for myself.

One neat fact: All playoff teams had positive point differential.  All non-playoff teams had negative.  Dallas was #1 (no surprise) and the Eagles and Rams were both barely above with plus-5.

Perhaps if I went back and did it again, I would use similar playbooks for all teams.

Looking through it the results are mostly what I would expect them to be, with the teams lining up almost exactly in the order of their quality. But there are a few things I found curious, like Miami being ahead of Buffalo, Pittsburgh being ahead of the Oilers, and the Eagles having such a low point differential (as I feel they are one of the elite teams in the game). You wouldn't happen to have the leader stats for the season would you? Also, did you win every game, without having to replay any games? That would be impressive when you're getting into the later stages of the season, especially with teams like New England or Cincy.

Edited by bill gates

Attached is the rom I used.

I am sure that my own playing style might affect the teams as well. I noticed the Eagles had one of the best rushing offenses. I am a much better passer than runner, so maybe that is why the gap isn't so big.  Also, original playbooks might affect the potential of some of these teams.

Tchmosbo.smc

TCHMOSBO.srm

• 2 months later...

I remember first seeing this topic years ago and laughed so hard. Seeing it again made me smile. 

I can't imagine how much work went into that. 

I noticed from constantly messing with this game years ago that anytime there is a tie for the division, Tecmo usually ranks higher which team scored more points for the tie breaker. Seeing these photos seem to confirm that, as everyone has the same record but the teams with the highest points get playoff seeding.